How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Implement real-time collaboration on the Task board

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365518/implement-real-time-collaboration-on-the-task-boar.html
The task board is an invaluable tool for teams, however not all teams sit in the same physical room when doing planning meetings, nor should I be forced to refresh to see what’s going on throughout the day. It would be great if the task board supported real-time collaboration so all connected participants could see what the rest of the team is doing. This could be achieved using the Microsoft SignalR framework.

202 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Morten Mazur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very much needed. Almost every day someone gets confused because they forgot to refresh the webpage.

• Slawomir Aleksiuk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is already available on the Backlog Items board - use "Enable live updates" button in top right corner. It's even using SignalR. ;)

However, in our team (and many others, I suspect), while working in an iterative manner, we're using the Iteration board (Tasks board) instead of the Backlog Items one. So for us, the functionality is much more needed on the Iteration/Tasks board.

• Issa Fram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a great feature if implemented.

Maybe using SignalR with Redis as the backplane.

VSTS -> Azure Redis Cache
        On-prem TFS -> Linux Redis / Docker Windows Image.

• Gregg B. Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical feature for Team Services. We constantly have to refresh in our stand ups and have a high potential of two people picking up the same thing with Scrum Swarming.

• Nurettin Onur Tuğcu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work on multiple computers, leaving taskboards open in browser tabs. When I switch computers to do work, I first have to spend a few seconds looking confused at the browser, and then refresh to get the latest view. Refresh isn't very fast, so I have to wait a few seconds there as well.

As you can imagine, TFS keeps on tackling me like this until the end of my work day. Maybe improvements like taskboard server push will turn this product from being a burden to a product that actually provides business value.

• BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

********* YES **********
        I can envision a board displayed that shows real-time work, and a display (kiosk) feature to auto scroll to "action" if necessary to see activities on the project. Great idea!!

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately needed. We often have more than one person assigning the same task to themselves as it shows unassigned on their task board.
        We've had to reduce our use of the task board in the organisation for this single reason.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For SCRUM, live Task board often has much greater usage than live Kanban board. Please add as a feature, thanks.

Live updates for the Task Board would be exactly what we need. I was expecting that it was implemented with TFS 2017 (and/or Update 1), but was disappointed to find out it was not for Task Boards.

Now that we have live updates on the Kanban board in TFS 2017, please let's ********* the Task board where Live View will be even more useful

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is far more important to my team than the other boards where you actually implemented this. The task board is the one that updates much more frequently throughout the day and is the one that is more informative about what is happening NOW in the team.

• Philipp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After we got live Updates in the Kanban Board, it should not be that hard to implement the same feature for the Task Board.

• Melcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updating the Sprint board ideally even if there is a change on the board. If need be timed in the interval may indicate.
        The board should not scroll and ideally remain at the point where I'm working on.

• Theodor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if the requirements/task board updated in real-time to reflect changes made by other team members (SignalR maybe?).
        Currently you need to refresh manually every now and then, losing the viewing state in the process (e.g. scroll position and expanded/collapsed requirements).

Feedback and Knowledge Base