How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Support querying for "all test cases in a specifed test plan" a.k.a add work item links between test plans, test suites and test cases

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365533/support-querying-for-all-test-cases-in-a-specifed.html
Since TFS 2013 Update 3 test plans and test suites are regular work items, but there are of no practical use in work item queries, as there are no links between them and test cases.

With the links, I could create a query to list all test cases in a specified test plan. In Test hub or MTM I can export such list to email or print to PDF, but there is no way to get it in Excel format, which would I get for free if I could query.

Currently, TFS supports the reverse, listing all test plans a given test case belong to, this was suggested in https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/suggestions/2038943-show-me-all-test-suites-test-plans-a-test-case-be. But as long as there are no work item links between test plans and test cases, it looks like it was implemented using the TFS API for test cases, so I can't do it just from query.

Bonus points for links to test runs also, but I do not have need to query for them, also looks like it would be a lot more work, as test runs are not work items.

156 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

whut shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Zaat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an ETA on this? In our organization we really need this to enable testers to move away from their current toolset. With test it is very important to understand what has been tested. Weird that in this case the test artifacts are work items themselves, but the standard link type is not used to relate them.

• JZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is there no post in this thread from a DevOps developer? This is the most fundamental thing in Application Life-cycle Management! The RTM depends on it! There needs to be a new Work Item type called Test Assignment. that work item would be for the execution of a test case in a project. The most likely fields being SW & HW Version, Result, Tester etc..

Requirements Linked to Features
    Requirements Linked to Test Cases
    Test Cases Linked to Test Assignment
    Test Assignments Linked to Bugs

• Solomon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must feature. I need to be able to get a list of test cases under a specific Test suite/Test plan based on Queries.
    Can some one from the TFS team provide an ETA on this?

• James Durning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely essential feature for planning and reporting, particularly with multi-product configurations.

• BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

************* MORE INFO **************
    Further, there is not "easy" drill down to test runs. I have to use exotic method to clumsily drill down to test runs which become difficult to determine which runs belong to specific test cases. Seems like this would be an easy 1:Many drill down. We use the test runs to attach artifacts (aka "proof") that tests were performed. But it is extremely difficult to say for a set of requirements, which tests cases were ran, what the results were and then for specific runs, now prove it with artifacts...

• BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From a compliance standpoint--the query capability does little to help us link a Task to a Test-Case with a list of Test-Runs... I don't understand why this wasn't made simpler. So I have to manually click through the Web-based UI to get this information and manually type or link using HyperLink because there is no link type of Test-Run

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really useful feature! Not only for reporting but also for planning.

• Graeme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And we wait... It's really becoming taxing for us in the test environment to have to try and implement workarounds for something that could easily be addressed. We wait in anticipation ;)

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This support really is needed if we shall be able to use this as our method for test case manangement. As it is now we manually have to create a test report for a release test since this relationships don't exist in TFS. Also we would like to have rreference/links between test case and test runs to make it possible to retrieve the test result for a certain test plan.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a fundamental omission and has driven us to implement a third-party solution to separately query WIs and Test Management, performing the joins so that we can report on test coverage and requirement status.
    I can't emphasise enough how much this degrades VSTS as a viable ALM tool

• Karen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great enhancement as well as the ability to identify all of the test cases that have been modified in a particular plan since a particular date.

• Agus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this, the tool is expensive and this is a very basic requirement!!!! Also, make it so that I can find all tests inside a Suite, otherwise using suites is almost useless and confusing (I trust it's good for something but it's useless)

Feedback and Knowledge Base