How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Allow stakeholders to drag and drop work items

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365539/allow-stakeholders-to-drag-and-drop-work-items.html
Stakeholders can change work item status to move an item across the board. However, dragging and dropping to achieve the same result is not supported for stakeholders. I've been informed by Support that this is by design.

However, we feel very strongly that this makes no sense at all. Our stakeholders are mainly our Product Owners, whose main responsibility in the Agile process is to prioritize product backlog items. Also, the testers in our team get Test tasks assigned, and need to be able to maintain the status (= column on the board) of their task items.

Assigning these team members and product owners a higher account level means they also get access to source control functions, which is highly undesirable.

Also, it occurs to me that excluding usability functions from stakeholder accounts is more of a measure to make stakeholder accounts less attractive and thus encourage the purchase of higher-level, paid accounts. In terms of data modification, there is no difference between changing status and moving an item, so there are no reasons in terms of authorization/permission to block this functionality.

In fact, when we discovered that stakeholders can change status but not move items, we were so flabbergasted we were certain it had to be a bug.

Please reconsider this design choice. For us, and I'm sure for a lot of potential customers beside us, this will make the difference between adopting VSTS for our work or choosing a different supplier.

157 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Floris Kleijne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone know if this is going to change or not? We're using DevOps now and Stakeholder accounts still can't drag/drop tasks on a taskboard...

It does appear that changing subscription/account type is the only way to provide the ability to do this. Go figure...

• Jay S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would a workaround for this be to upgrade the stakeholder to contributor?

• Oli Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Insanity to not have this functionality accessible to stakeholders... and a lost opportunity to increase senior mgmt. buy-in to an otherwise very useful tool.

• Chris Mattmiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a poor design. There are many other applications that have this functionality for free. This should be a standard for everyone.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not good at all. We have many stakeholders who will need to be able to do this. Stakeholders have access to builds, but not full access to work items? Doesn't make much sense to me.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In fact, when we discovered that stakeholders can change status but not move items, we were so flabbergasted we were certain it had to be a bug."

My thought exactly.

• Jonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, this is crazy land! Why would you mak this by design? Our external consultants work on work items troughout our lifecycle and should be able to move items on the board

• Everett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would you not allow someone to add a Task from the Backlog view, but they can create a Task manually from Queries view that requires that they manually add the linkage for the parent PBI?

Looks like you guys did some cherry-picking of the previous behavior that we saw in the old WIWA portal for the Stakeholder access and added some additional capabilities. Examples include creating work items other than PBIs and bugs (but only in certain locations?), being able to modify other users' work items, and so on. However, you didn't implement these additional capabilities in all locations like the Backlog view.

For example, you can use the dropdown list to add a new work item on the backlog view, but it limits you to PBIs and bugs. Just like WIWA did. If you want to add a task, you have to switch to Queries view and use that dropdown to add any work item type you want. Or, a stakeholder can manually change the state of a Task to Done, but can't drag it on the Kanban board. We don't want to switch to the basic access level for these users just for board and backlog drag-and-drop for parenting, but allow them to see the code repos, queue builds, etc. by default. And trying to duplicate the stakeholder restrictions by actually buying a CAL for basic access for these users, but limiting the permissions by using Deny settings would be a security troubleshooting nightmare. Be consistent.

• vs2015junkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tools such as Trello and KanbanFlow both offer drag and drop support on the Kanban board for FREE, so it does not seems to make sense why Microsoft would exclude this capability from their own free Stakeholder licenses.

• Ken Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice if the stakeholder can move the cards on the task board. You are able to manually edit an item, but are not able to drag a card from column to column.

• Salam Dahbour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. We have several business users who are setup as stakeholders. They can add work items and change the state of work item, but they cannot do that from the taskboard. The taskboard provides a very easy to use experience, and would be especially useful for less technical users, like business stakeholders.

Is this something you can change?

• wikiwakit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this either. There are other great project management tools out there with the same backlog/board features, and I'm trying to convince my organization to use VSO, but I"m stumbling over usability for stakeholders.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Expand stakeholders the ability to prioritize the requirements in Board &/or Back log area. It seems kind of weird that they can view, create, & modify but can't change the order. So you make the user have to pay $20/month for this ability for each stakeholder...kind of weak in my opinion.
    If you don't want to do that that's okay. Could you at least add an Export option so we have the option of finding our own way to organize it? Thank you kindly!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base