How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Add support for viewing Jupyter (ipython) Notebooks

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365561/add-support-for-viewing-jupyter-ipython-notebooks.html
I would like to be able to view formatted Jupyter Notebooks in my repositories. Notebooks are commonly and increasingly being used in the areas of Data Science and Statistical Computation and contain live code, equations, visualizations and explanatory text.

87 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Jupyter notebooks are super useful for sharing data analysis code and demonstrating basic functionality of different packages.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like VSTS to be relevant to data science development workflow. Support for viewing Jupyter notebooks is pivotal to establishing this relevance.

• Marcus Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Echoing sentiments below, if a company has to choose GitHub/BitBucket/VSTS, having the ability to render jupyter notebooks is going to be one deciding factor. As MSFT moves to incorporate AI tools in VS, sharing example notebooks will be crucial for data scientists.

Moreover, the format is really trivial. It isn't much more than markdown.

• Eric Philips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jupiter is used by our Data Science community to document the exploratory phase of analytics projects. I see this document being as critical in a repo as the README.md file and should be able to be viewed without having to download the file or have Jupiter installed local.

• Eric Philips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, Data Science is a growing field and our teams use them regularly. Viewing these native would be a huge boost to how we document our projects.

• EfrainT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is so necessary to share and discuss notebooks content with non-python users inside teams. Please consider add support.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi.

Our company is starting to work with jupyter notebooks and will use GitHub just because VSTS don't have this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base