How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Show parent title in task detail

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365568/show-parent-title-in-task-detail.html
Put the backlog item title, or parent item title on the main Detail page of a task. Many views only show tasks assigned to a person, and when they view the task there is no context. So we have to make very redundant task titles that include the title of the parent item so they are not confusing.

In the SCRUM layout, consider replacing the "Updated by AaronS 19 hours ago" with a link/title of the parent item if there is one, and move the Last updated message to one of the status/detail columns.

it's not apparent the context of the task. I shouldn't

246 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron Shumaker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Dingle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Large backlogs have become unmanageable in VSTS without this. The backlog page just isn't being used for stories. Prioritization can only be done at the feature level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also put this parent title(s) in the "updated-notification" + "mentioned-notification" email of this item

It is ridiculous... They've just re-branded the whole thing as DevOps and lo and behold.. the board is exactly the same... so disappointing. Jira has had filter driven swimlanes for years where you create a lane based on whatever custom filter you define (including a filter that shows the parent)....

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a solid and reasonable feature request.

Comments on this item go back through November 2015. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any response from Microsoft, positive or negative. Why does this portal exist if no one is reading it? It is getting harder to defend MS against their detractors.

+1 Please !!!! We need to track items on the board by feature.... simple. Filtering does't allow for distinction between features.

Please please please add this! This simple feature would clear up so much confusion.

A must have. One team forking on multiple Features or Epics, loses all context in Story backlog or Board.

I have to agree on the other comments.

How is this still missing? If you look on a board, on a sprint or on the plan, you can only choose for example the "backlog item" view and you loose all context to where this item belongs to...

Please improve the overview of boards, sprints and planning views, they are vital in the whole idea of work planning.

Microsoft has to listen to this kind of requested features asap. When organizing Tasks/BacklogItems/User-Stories or what ever with the full stack of hierarchical Navigation Levels like Epic/Feature/BacklogItems/WorkTasks it is _absolutely_ vital to be able to show these parent-contexts also on the various Kanban/Backlog/Task - Boards. Having no clear and easy view on the whole context provided by the parent-items on the boards is confusing and cumbersome. VSTS in generall is really a great tool and helps us in agile development, but Microsoft has to give this kind of attention to such details and well designed vsts planning features and workflow visualization. This kind of user request are sitting here month after month and still aren't implemented or even officially commented on by Microsoft. Come on guy's ... do something about it.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How on earth is this not possible? I was desparate trying to find this (simple!) feature.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the comments here. The Task Board really needs the context of its parents when viewing by person. Without this, its easy to get indiscernible duplicate titles (that belong to different backlog items and features).

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without being able to see the Parent Feature on a Story Card it makes the whole process very inefficient. It's almost easier to not use Features.

• Nicolas Ploquin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
        Unbearable to not have a custom field or column with parent title in boards.
        All the more so that parent link is available while opening details.

• Nick Ehrlich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG, this! A thousand times this! The Sprint (Iteration) backlog view is fine when viewing by Stories, but practically useless when viewing by Person. Please fix this.

• Terry L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am considering using another tool due to this shortcoming. Should be very easy to add parent to the child card. This has been a request for years now.

Definitely voting for this. Better still, add overall support in VSTS to query for and reference a work item's parent work item. Perhaps there's a way to do that right now but I've looked and it's not intuitively obvious on how to go about that.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base