How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Enable Continuous Integration Path Filters for Github

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365570/enable-continuous-integration-path-filters-for-git.html
You recently introduced Path Filters for vsts + git. It is not yet available for Github. Would be awesome if support could be added.

99 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still cannot see this on my github build...

Why would this not included by default...

• Jorre Meijrink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get a new update, if nothing got in the way, it would be available four days ago. I don't see it yet. Is there e new e.t.a.?

• Jeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this be available for BitBucket or other Git repositories too when implemented?

• David Staheli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apologies to everyone for quietness on the status of this. It took longer than planned, but it's being implementing now and it should be complete this sprint (which ends August 31, 2018). Then, it will deploy it to production ring-by-ring for safety. If nothing gets in the way, it should be available for everyone in production by September 14, sooner for some depending on your organization's deployment ring.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you to the PM/Dev I talked to at Build. You said you'd try to get the pushed though and on the schedule, and here it is on the backlog. 👏

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for monorepos which contain multiple application that can be built separately. Without this feature all my builds are triggered on every change to the git repo regardless of what exactly was changed. Path filters work perfect for built-in git repos, please enable them for Github it repos.

This is not only a waste of build time and resources but triggers unnecessary Release processes for applications which are not changed at all.

This is a dealbreaker for us, we are likely going to stop using VSTS because of this.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a thing? Now we have to scrap our plans to use VSTS and go back to Team City.

• Richard Fennell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would provide a more flexible way to manage CI/CD process. In my example I have multiple VSTS extensions in a single GitHub repo and want to filter by path for PR triggered builds. If I don't have this I end up triggering 10+ builds when I only want one.

I could use branches as discussed in other comments, but path filtering is much neater and would not require ongoing management once setup

• Stephen Tung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are forced to create many unnecessary builds and waste precious dev time on the build server because of this missing feature. We will have to consider other CI/CD tools if this is not even on the road map.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also looking for this feature. Seems like a basic option that other CI tools implement.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base