How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Work item template or clone including subtasks

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365579/work-item-template-or-clone-including-subtasks.html
Right now, when creating a work item template or cloning a work item, only the regular work item fields can be included in the template/clone.

I have a situation where I would like templates of tasks that include a good number of subtasks. It would make sense to have the possibility to create the same subtasks list when I apply a template (or clone) for a new user story.

Right now, I must re-enter all the subtasks by hand, for each and every user story I create.

84 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Guy LaRochelle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • deez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to add templates that include a parent child hierarchy of multiple levels if required. You should be allowed to create a template that allows from Epic level > Feature > Sub-Feature if you wish > User Story > Task > Sub task if you wish. This is the kind of customization that will make working on devOps a whole lot easier. I really don't understand why this isn't a feature yet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the templates and they are really useful, being able to next template tasks in template PBI would be proper awesome.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature in Azure DevOps. We have the same situation with repetitive tasks that fit within a User story template and automating it saves much time

This should be at the top of the list! But make sure to follow all the links, not just down 1 level

• Naina Mohamed Sintha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one will save lot of time on case to case basis. So getting this feature out will be helpful for most of the users who manages.

• Nick W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this feature. We have a number of similar user stories that have 10 or more child tasks, it would save loads of time if we could clone tem

Please add this feature! will save us all so much time or will just move to another tool that does this

This should be included ASAP. :) i work across both teams and functional areas, and have to "re-invent" the wheel so to say quite often.

• Claire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started working as PO in VSTS, and this is a functionality that would render my time more efficiently! I hope it gets the priority it needs... I'm getting my team to vote on this!

• Ben Rowland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm shocked that this isn't already baked in...isn't the whole point of a solution like VSTS to make tracking work easier? We track new customer onboarding in VSTS and the process is identical for each, so the fact that we have to create a new Epic, the dozen Features, a handful of User Stories for each Feature, then Tasks for each of those User Stories for every single customer is kind of absurd and completely inefficient.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base