How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Recycle bin for build definitions and release definitions

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365592/recycle-bin-for-build-definitions-and-release-defi.html
As things stand currently, if someone deletes a build definition or a release definition there is no path to recovery short of restoring a backup. This isn't always possible especially given how quickly events move in TFS. Even restoring a TPC into a different environment can create problems. Given that recycle bins are now a feature in work items, I'd like to see this functionality extended to build definitions and release definitions....or at least if we can see who deleted a given definition that would be a welcome addition.

55 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stephane Chevallier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Skyler Sedate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like as of November 28th, 2018 (earlier than that for sure) there is a recycle bin for build definitions, and probably will be one for release definitions as well. I only mention this date because it's when I noticed it.

• Richard Rodriquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess we are going to have to export our build definitions and source control them since this feature does not exist. It's a work around but it's not going to help when the build gets deleted and someone checks in breaking code. And it going to mess with our plans for reliable continuous deployment. It would be nice to at least know who is going rouge and deleting build definitions so that we can fix them. I agree that something needs to be done.

• Volker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also needed here. Deleted a build by intend, but a second build also vanished. (Background info: the 2nd was a clone of the one which was deleted intentionally.)

• Babak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YEs, I guess this is something required. we need it even for Service hooks

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concurr. PLEASE allow an undelete of release defintions.

A co-worker deleted a release def today and now we cant delete any of it's builds since the release is locked out in delete state. :\

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is becoming are real problem. Especially when you accidently remove a build-definition from Visual Studio because you don't get a warning like you get in the UI in the web-browser where you have to type the name of the build-definition.

Please we need more votes for this one :-).

Feedback and Knowledge Base