How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Restore "Missing" TFS Power Tools functionality in VS/TFS 2017

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365649/restore-missing-tfs-power-tools-functionality-in-v.html
With the removal TFS Power Tools for the 2017 release there are some significant features absent from Visual Studio 2017.

Find by status (server workspaces) allowing you to search for a users checkouts.

On the command line: online, scorch and treeclean don't appear to have any equivalents. These commands are very useful when automating the import/export of objects to or from TFS.

429 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

OraDotNet Dev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the Find by Status feature, we’re working on an extension to add this capability back to VS. We don’t yet have an ETA for the availability, but I’ll update here when it’s ready.

For tfpt online, scorch, and treeclean, the functionality has been replaced by tf reconcile. If you use tfpt {command} /help, you’ll see a message about the specific options to use to get equivalent functionality with tf reconcile.

Tfpt uu doesn’t have a replacement in tf.exe. The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS.

Thanks,
    Matt Mitrik
    Program Manager | VSTS

80 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • csrowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Putting a comment on here with the hope I'll get an email when MS says they have this functionality restored.

• Emerson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will we have the return function? This is disrespect to the whole community.

• Alphaleonis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second the vote for tfpt unshelve /migrate. (luckily tfpt 2015 still works, but who knows for how long).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Threads like this make me feel like I am in the twilight zone. Seriously Microsoft, you can't restore simple functionality WE ALREADY HAD in previous versions of Visual Studio Power Tools. After years and 4 pages of comments? It's no wonder developers have left in droves to open source software. We can't get simple functionality like Find By Wildcard to see who has files checked out. Beyond ridiculous

• Jerry Goldin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we have been very patient. How hard could it be to implement a Find by Status function? That existed back in the days of SourceSafe.

• Nishant Pant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, this is ridiculous. When is find by wildcard coming back? Very frustrating indeed. More than a year since this post was put out there.

• Carrie Kistner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, any progress on the search by status and wildcard? I just started using VS 2017, and I'm very annoyed that the feature is not available anymore. I use the search often and don't like having to go back to VS 2015 to find something.

• Sophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I have to open VS2013 every time I need to undo any of my user's pending changes. Maybe someone else could code this up as an extension and publish it if Microsoft is not going to do it. But could someone please let us know the plan even if the plan is not to implement this for VS2017?

• Koen Verbeeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the status of this? It's 2018 and it's apparently impossible to easily find checked out items by another user (let alone undo those checkouts) through the GUI.

• Brian Welsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The other part of this which is missing is the PowerShell snapin, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.PowerShell. I have an entire library written for auditing purposes that are now broken because the snapin is now missing. I have 2 unacceptable options; 1) install VS2015 just so I can run my scripts, 2) rewrite the scripts to use native the API or REST API.

• Edward Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is reconcile added by powertools 2017? Or is it just a default feature of VS2017? To call the documentation for reconcile sparse would be an understatement.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base