How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Wiki + mention

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365698/wiki-mention.html
It would be nice if could be possible to mention someone right from the Wiki text editor by pressing @ and seeing a list of all users

74 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stas Sultanov shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael DePouw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I would expect a notification. If not, what's the point in mentioning them?

The action item could vary. It could be just an FYI or it could be a request for the mentionee to review the wiki page or update the page. There are probably hundreds of use cases.

• Michael Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I would expect a notification. Wikis alongside the source are a convenient place to provide lists of owners, reviewers, experts, etc. If I add someone's name to a list like that, I want them to know they were added. This gives them a chance to revert the change if they don't want to be designated as such, and also makes them aware that such a wiki document exists, so they can point people to it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be very helpful. Work items in their prior stages might need comments on extra work, research, or any other action item necessary to the preparation. The wiki page can be used as a place to gather all action items that are related to a future iteration plan for example.

• WPrecht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the @mention is in a comment or other sort of markup, I would expect it to generate a notification. I don't see the purpose of one in the body of a wiki page which in theory is there to capture knowledge not form a discussion.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the user should not be notified.
    It's more about documenting responsibilities and possibly finding them better later through a search.

For example, we have listings in our wiki of all on-premise servers / APIs and the associated contact person if something is not working. There it would be nice if you could directly create a work item or an email via the mention.

• deadlydog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would expect the user to get notified if you @ mention them. You are correct that you may not always be actually asking them for something, e.g. "For more information please contact @SomePerson". However, if I was SomePerson I would still like to be notified that somebody referenced me on the wiki page so that I'm aware of it. It may prompt me to go review the page to make sure the information supplied is correct, or perhaps I'm not the right person to contact so I would change the page to reference @SomeOtherPerson instead. And of course when people are constructing a wiki page they might do something like "Hey @SomePerson, can I get your thoughts on this section of the wiki page please", expecting SomePerson to be notified.

In other wikis I've used, when somebody is @ mentioned they always get notified about it, so that's the behavior I would expect. If you are really on the fence about it though, you could always have it as another option in the "My Notification Settings" section so users could choose if they get notified when @ mentioned in the wiki.

• Chad Fairbanks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not just mentions, but also, for example, if I list someone as a technical contact on a wiki page, being able to link their name in manner that shows AD/VSTS profile info would be nice, too.

• Sebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful to link responsible users to a topic, perhaps inside a code guideline.

Feedback and Knowledge Base