How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Change default title for pull request commits to not include PR id

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365716/change-default-title-for-pull-request-commits-to-n-1.html
Right now, all pull requests generate a commit message that starts with "Merged PR: XYZ". That creates a cluttered commit history for the branch. It is more important to see the description of the changes made than what PR number was used. The PR number should go in the description of the commit if desired.
There should be a way to change the pattern for the default generated commit message for a Git repo in VSO.

71 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ioan Lazarciuc shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bob Archer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also think adding the Merged From PR is redundant it would like to see it removed. But, That link Yuki posted implies that the PR title and the commit message aren't the same things. Perhaps I'm not sure then how you set the commit message for a squash merge.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that it is "Merged" because otherwise I would not see that commit on the branch history.
    And I know the PR number because it tells me so on the VSTS history panel.
    Please keep the default to the same name as PR name.

• Brandt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Yuki K, this is very important for us and we need the solved by vsts

• Yuki K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our development team uses a squash merge policy for PRs and I am trying to add conventional-changelog into our workflow to automate the generation of a CHANGELOG.md file. Conventional-changelog is a very popular npm package that requires commit titles of a particular format, such as feat(): or fix(): in order to parse git commits in the repo as new features or bugfixes.

The problem is that VSTS prefixes all of our merge commit messages by default with Merged PR XXXX:, and until recently, I did not realize that the PR title and description were not directly used in the eventual merge commit into the master branch. It is only at PR creation that the PR title is read in (and the Merged PR prefix is prepended) and the description is pulled into the commit message body. After that point the PR and merge commit message are completely decoupled.

I think there is a very big discoverability issue here, obviously, since I see a lot of other UserVoice requests and comments that are similar to this - but there is also a tremendous workflow issue. Our development team members are not disciplined enough to remember to go to the PR complete dialog and strip off the Merged PR XXXX: prefix every time, and it will be impossible for me to remind our devs to go back to the PR completion dialog after making changes to the PR description, to ensure that the merge commit message is kept in sync.

The PR title and description should always be synced with the merge commit title and message,

OR

at the very least there needs to be a checkbox option to do so.

We do not need the Merged PR prefix in our titles, and not being able to use conventional-changelog is a significant barrier to our workflow.

• Alexey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would even be more happy with just empty fields to force people to write there something meaningful

• Bhaskar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jeremy I think it already does that
    +1 for it should take commit messages as description of the PR -> it will force people to write meaningful commit messages
    +1 to above idea of adding the capability to add default pattern

• Jeremy Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 What would be most excellent is if it took the title of the commit being merged in as the default text.

Feedback and Knowledge Base