How can we improve Azure DevOps?

make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365365/make-it-possible-to-move-a-team-project-between-te-1.html
Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

2,382 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) responded  · 

We are committed to supporting the ability to move projects between collections, however we’ve been unable to make progress on this feature. Unfortunately, the challenges highlighted in earlier posts are still present.
    I don’t foresee us making progress on this feature within the next 6 months. We will provide an update once we start planning for the second half of 2019.

Whitney Jenkins
    Azure DevOps Program Manager

128 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hopefully this is the correct thread, but our team needs to copy a project from one Azure DevOps organization to another.

Even a 80% solution would be better than having nothing. Please update here the status of this topic and put effort on this as soon as possible.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get a tool for this soon. I have too many different instances of TFS at my new workplace and I need to combine them on prem, including pulling some out of Azure DevOps that are current acquisitions.

• Falk Sinning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI Whitney, do you have any updates?

Would a move inbetween Team Projekt Collections possible by using the solution of Martin Hinshelwood available in VIsual Studio Marktplace (Name: Migration Tools for Azure DevOps) ?

Thanks a lot. Best Falk

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this feature. It will be very helpful to migrate our systems.

I feel like this is one of the basis feature and it should be available. Loosing history during the migration is not an option companies willing to accept.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a program manager, I need the ability to move or transfer specific 'projects', and all of their associated meta data, such as history, change set history, pull request history, code review request history, comments, discussion history, work items and their history, ect... from a source Azure Dev Ops instance, to an entirely new 'target' azure dev ops instance.
        This would helpful and provide business value, for example, if there is a need to transfer source control and history, when a client matures technically, and is ready to manage their own source control, in house, or in their own Azure Dev Ops instance.
        Please let me know if my acceptance criterion is not clear, as I would be happy to give further specific examples.

• Kevin Ristow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The history of updates on this request is not conducive to planning within the enterprise. I would be very helpful to get a commitment in the form of a timeline so that people like myself and other can plan accordingly. This particular enhancement has some fundamental implications on our approach and plans.

Please provide an update that is more committed than the repeated answer of "Second half of next year". At this point I can only assume that this will just continue to get pushed which is very disappointing.

• Philippe Moison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We manage all our customer implementation projects in Azure DevOps. We manage them in our own dedicated implementation tenant. Often, customers want to take the property of the project in their own tenant when it has gone live. This feature is mandatory for us and we look forward for it... Please don't postpone again...

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please tell me how we (large enterprise) are supposed to archive single projects existing within one collection without this feature.

• Juanma Feliu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be an amazing feature.
        Migration of a TFVC Team Project to a Git Team Project with dashboards, WI's, Builds, source files and so on) would be amazing too.

• krishnasai koneru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we move just a folder from one TPC to another without loosing history. Is there any tool to do it. we really need this feature.

• kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we move just a folder from one TPC to another without loosing history. Is there any tool to do it. we really need this feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base