How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Improve MS Project and Office Integration to include WIs from different projects

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365375/improve-ms-project-and-office-integration-to-inclu.html
1. Allow excel to open work items from different projects at once.
its allowed to relate work items from different projects. but not open them in MS project or excel? it would be great to have this feature for release planning across projects.
2. Feature to open hierarchical query results in excel. It will help use excel reports in many more cases.

311 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike Zserai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree that this restriction is not based on reality. We must have this capability.

For example, cross-project Iteration Task Backlog (or something similar) would give managers a lot of information they need for capacity planning across the enterprise.

Being able to leverage Excel in this way would give us a great deal of information very easily. I don't want to have to use the OLAP cube every time we need to see data across projects.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have wasted all day trying to get a view of the data that the agile web site nor the Microsoft test manager supports. I want to see the tests with the bugs and test results in any form even if it's a join with a lot of data repeated in every row. Being able to see the passed and failed tests sorted by any way I want (with the bug information right there) will help target common bugs and give me easy access to the passed tests. In my opinion a list of the failed tests is no information, with that when I get into the code will I test every thing over not knowing what passed?

Even if it is just a "Read Only" ability to allow reporting, it will greatly simplify cross-team, cross-product, cross-release reporting.

• Tim Pacl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this suggestion is overly restricted. The cross-project boundary includes moving work items across projects as well. Their id is based at a collection level already.

I would like to see this fixed sooner than later if this is a common feature request. My organization just started using TFS about 6 months ago and as we grow and add more projects, it is getting ever more difficult to do reporting across multiple projects. I could deal with having to cut and paste but when you do the format is incorrect and you lose the ID number.

• Justin Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a common feature request and something that requires us to rearchitect the way we pull data into Excel. We will not be fixing this in the next version but it's on our backlog.

Justin Marks – MSFT / TFS Product Group

• David Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now we get error: TF208015: You are trying to add work items that are not in the selected team project for this Microsoft Excel file. Only the work items from the *** team project will be added to your work item list. If you want to add work items from another team project, open a new Microsoft Excel file from that team project.

Are you kidding me? How is it the TF client can display the results of the query, but the export cannot handle them too? Makes it incredibly cumbersome to manage program-level reporting...

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base