How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Centralized Build View & Management

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365378/centralized-build-view-management.html
Create an interface to centrally view and manage builds for administrators. As an admin that manages builds across team projects, I find it tedious that I have to navigate to each Team Project’s Build Explorer to see current build activity. It makes it even worse that you force each Build Explorer to open in the same VS Window.

Minimally, the interface would be the current Build Explorer without the Team Project filter, thus allowing admins to have a central view of build activity. Ideally, it would be a similar interface that allows for a centralized build activity view and also surfaces key pieces of information about the build to try and minimize the need to drill in and out of each build.

149 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Eric Crouthamel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • T. Mattes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Furthermore, from an administrator's view, it happens from time to time, that some global build settings have to be changed within every build definition or at least several build definitions (such as build queue or build number format). Editing every build definition in every team project is an annoying and error-prone process.
        The build manager tool for XAML build definitions was a big help with this. Isn't it possible to get something like that for the new, disregarding admin-problems very powerful and intuitive build system?

• Eric Huggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a central console for Build Administrators is an excellent idea - it would be really great if we could see both the Build and the Associated Releases in one view - in order to monitor the progress from build to release more effectively.

• trailmax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. I have at least 9 projects under development and needing to switch between projects just to check build status is a pain. I end up with a million Chrome tabs open - one per project with builds list. Also having a list of "Mine" and "All" for list of build definitions does not help the situation here.

Having a view of all builds across all available VSTS builds would be great - just show the status of the latest build in every definition per project and let me navigate to each build from there. TeamCity has this view as a home-page and it was very nice (when I used TeamCity).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With TFS 2015 CU2 found that all requests associated to a build queue can be seen (need to go the admin cog of the TFS server)

The feature is there and being improved upon.

Thks.

With the XAML build definition, the Community TFS Build Extensions was doing a good job for my needs.

With the new build system we are back to having to look throught builds per team project. Making the administration or the promotion of build best practices more difficult.
        Having a central page would be most usefull.

• Anthony Gregg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be preferable to integrate the below suggested tools into the product rather than having to separately install them. This idea is a great idea for us Admins as I am constantly needing to manage builds across multiple projects.

• Ed Blankenship commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI - There was a new release of the Community TFS Build Extensions (http://tfsbuildextensions.codeplex.com/) that includes a new TFS Build Manager that handles some of the features suggested here. Also, another great free tool available is the TFS Team Project Manager (http://teamprojectmanager.codeplex.com/) that lets you handle certain aspects of build management across team projects

I totally agree with Eric. We have 19 team projects within a collection and I've always wanted the ability to see all builds for all these projects as if they were in a tree structure just waiting for me to expand each team project. Great idea!!! Hope it happens someday.

Feedback and Knowledge Base