How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Adopt powershell as a way of defining build scripts, like PSake.

Obviously there's a considerable investment in TFS Build 2010, but I just don't like using XML as a scripting language... Having a first-class alternative to WWF / MSBuild that used an actual scripting language would be nice.

21 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Freeman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sudipto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes PS a First Class citizen in VS. Running, Debugging, Intellisense and may be TDD. That will be amazing.

• James Tryand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without mono support, I don't feel that this should get traction. Not to say it isn't the right thing, but Powershell needs to be available for mono, at which point, this is most certainly the right way to go.

• Adam Tybor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Powershell is the right tool here. Every other build system offers a real scripting engine. WF is way too heavy to get simple things done. Powershell has outstanding interop with .NET so can leverage all the existing TFS tasks today.

My biggest complaint is I can't test a build locally with the current system. The feedback loop is way to slow to debug, test, troubleshoot build issues. Something I can have done in a few minutes with powershell takes hours with a TFS build template.

So much to the point nobody wants to touch or customize them which is not the right environment to promote if you want to teams to leverage auto builds.

• Betty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a list of scripts for build scripts, that can be a mix of Workflows, Powershell, Exe, or just plain assemblies. Each with its own input/output variables (exe may be hard to do output variables). This would allow people to share build snippets a lot easier than they currently do, as it involves no merging of xml.

Of course this is all possible by replacing the current workflow with an extensible one, but it would be nicer built into the client.

Feedback and Knowledge Base