How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Allow impediments to be viewable next to their respective tasks within the Board page.

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365398/allow-impediments-to-be-viewable-next-to-their-res.html
Up until a few weeks ago, we had been using the Urban Turtle extension for TFS, which was much easier to work with than the base web interface. I love the new TFS web interface, however, there is no way to view impediments to a task (no easy way). If an associate is waiting on something in order to complete their task, we add an impediment to the task. Urban Turtle then shows that impediment (in yellow) next to the task, so that we can easily see that the developer is unable to proceed. This allows our project manager to push to remove that impediment, by communicating with the appropriate people.

Not having the ability to easily see impediments will hurt our teams efficiency in a big way, so I’m really hoping you’re able to add this task type before the final release.

193 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vito DeCarlo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our team would like to use Impediments to track unplanned work for sprints. It would be very helpful if these showed up on the Kanban board and cumulative flow charts. This would help us communicate the impact of unplanned work to stakeholders.

• BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

*********** YES *************
        It would be outstanding if when the impediment tile hovered--the related/affected tile(s) would be highlighted. A virtual tie which would easily lend to understanding and quick discussion.

• James Naish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to provide an extension on this idea, how about having the ability to choose whether Impediments appear on the iteration board or on a separate Impediments board?

But they are WIs which have a workflow in their own right (including escalation processes, etc).

Either way, it would be useful to be able to pass Impediments through states on a Kanban board so progress can be tracked.

• Bettie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature. I don't see any response from Microsoft on this topic, so we don't even know if they are working on it.

• SpeedyAkron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the big feature which is keeping my team using urban turtle and stopping us from switching to TFS. Even though TFS has passed Urban Turtle in so many other areas.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Product Team's comment was 20 months ago. Is there any update to when we might see this feature in a release?

• Ulf Axelsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this? One of our teams that were trying out the "raw" interface had to revert to Urban Turtle because of this.

• Darren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? It has been a while since it was added to the backlog...

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, what is the update on this - ie. some kind of indicator to say there's subtasks (including impediments)?

• Joe Aubin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? I think it would be extremely useful. Even if the work item didn't necessarily show up on the board but if the color of the task was changed or was called out in some fashion where a user could easily determine that a task either A) had an open impediment or was B) Marked as blocked.

• John Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this as well. Otherwise there is no good way during a board review to know that a task or pbi is blocked.

• Bill Kuklinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note that this request and the request to see "free floating" items on the board is basically the same conceptual request, so hopefully the votes for each are totalled to reflect the actual vote count for this "one" feature change. Restated - a Task Board (or Planning Board) should display all items of any type - bug, issue, impediment, design, test, etc. - that can be assigned to a person /group to work on.

• Tanner Lindsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredibly useful. Right now I can only see blocked tasks or impeded work items with a variety of queries. A simple icon on the board lets us see what is blocked at a glance. Maybe then you can click the icon or indicator and get to the impediment

• Alastair Upton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with some form of indicator on the PBI and/or task to show that it is impeded (we tend to have it at story level as our stories are small and ultimately, it is the story that is impeded).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use the impediments to track when waiting for responses from outside out team. If we can't see an impediment link to the task (or that it is waiting), then we think that team member is actually working on that task. Seeing the impediments will give us a better picture of what is actually being worked on at any given moment.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base