How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Have a burndown chart per team member

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365402/have-a-burndown-chart-per-team-member.html
It would be nice to view a burndown chart for each team member.

103 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Pritzl shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The capacity bars are enough for daily standups, but having individual team member burndown charts would be an amazing feature so that management can track team member productivity. I really hope this is added.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to use this as part of a scrum master challenge to the team. Hungry devs like a challenge and competition in the team. It also reinforces estimation, burning down every day and showing progress. I cant understand why you have not developed this yet.

• Harald Conradi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely want this. Team members themselves ask questions like "what will it take for me to catch up on my burndown."

I'd like this for the reasons below, but also because I want to answer the question 'how many hours work did I have assigned at the start of the sprint'.

• Stefan Kiryazov - CCRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe people are overthinking the impact of this on the agileness of the team. I only want to use it for myself to check how well I'm estimating my work. That's definitely not anti-agile, I do care first and foremost about how well the team is delivering, I just want to make sure I'm doing my part not just with my coding but also with making sure I estimate realistically.

• Jamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Again seems very anit-agile, not that it couldn't go in other templates. To me it is a statistic that can be gamed, therefore has no use for reporting.

You want to be goal focused rather than time focused. It doesn't matter whether something took 5 hours longer than you thought, the emphasis should be did we deliver what we expected.

• Raymond Kiang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely a good addition. As the CM manager, I was asked to provide a way for management to see individual weekly productivity report and this will be a big help!

• Aaron Freeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a member of a team, it would be nice to see my own personal burndown. There are times when others in my team didnt estimate hours appropriately and add additional estimates. Would be great to see if I am on track and consistent with my time estimates.

• Amna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like each member of the team to review their own burndown charts to make sure all their work is being tracked in tfs right.

Not necessary for small teams where performance is blatant - big teams need to know where team mates are and how they are getting on or supporting the effort!

Our Scrum team is 8 pax. They are asking the scrum master to do this for them so they know how to deal with bottle necks or issues fast. They dont want anywhere for someone to hide and they want to celebrate and support those guys that are going above and beyond - they share everything except Salary.

I remember during sprint planning our scrum master wrote the number of developers on the board to help us divide the remaining hours. What I always did was divided the number of developers minus 1 because that 1 did NOTHING (he later on got fired). I understand it is a team effort, but each of us gets paid individually and is supposed to carry some weight. This metric will help management carry out annual performance reviews, identify bottle necks, help reshuffle, help provide training, bonuses, etc. Very good idea, I think you should start it.

• Chris Preece commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very anti-agile to have an individual's burndown chart. The team should sink or swim together. It's not about 'divide and conquer' it's about getting the team to work well together.

The concern should be to get the deliverables done by the end of the sprint. Either the whole team delivers or it doesn't. That's the performance metric you're seeking.

• Adam Pritzl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it could be use by management, the project manager and the team member. The managers could use it to see how each individual is performing. The team member could use it to track how they themselves are performing. It would be really nice to see at a glance.

Feedback and Knowledge Base