How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365409/automatic-state-transition-based-on-linked-work-it.html
One of the things which I feel has value in the process templates forTFS 2011 is the state changing based on the linked child items. Like how the hours aggregate up from the linked child work items to the parent item, if there is a way to get the parent work item state to transition based on the linked child item state it would be good. An example of this is when a child item state is set to "In Progress" if the parent work item is then set to "In Progess" automatically.

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

315 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Prasanna Ramkumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim (aka Roberto) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why have the work item Rules not been updated to support this? It's something that is lacking in VSTS/ADO. It's overly difficult to do anything that involes parent or child work items.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ewald,

I spent half a day yesterday setting up TFS Aggregator in Azure only to discover it currently is not properly authenticating with VSTS. https://github.com/tfsaggregator/tfsaggregator-webhooks/issues/22

They are researching workaround / fixes, but as it currently stands your recommendation to use TFS Aggregator as a workaround to the underlying lack of this feature in VSTS is a no-go

• David Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of support for this feature makes it very time consuming when doing my backlog refinement / updating items for my team.

Also, I end up having Epics/Features/User Stories or bugs out of lock step as my team sometimes forget to update the Epic/Feature when a bug is added to a feature that was previously thought of as complete.

• Sami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Work Item rules" is a good start but currently does not allow setting the values of parent/child work item, only the values of the changed WI. Please, make it possible to change the values of other work items as well.

• Nils Andrey Telleria Martinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TFS Aggregator es very useful, but right now lack of UI at least for simpler rules. We really need this on either VS's or TFSAggregator's roadmap. Thanks in advance.

• Simon Tipper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only just started using VSTS but can't believe this ability is not present in the system. It makes difficult reading to see that this has been a requested change for 5+ years yet requests with a fraction of the votes and comments are being implemented by the development team.

Remind me again what the point of uservoice is if the requested features aren't progressed?

• Shervin Behjoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I need the specific feature that e.g. when all tasks of a PBL (product backlog) is done, the PBL state be automatically changed to state "done."
        the same practice is needed for the relation between a Bug and its tasks.

Shervin Behjoo

• Shervin Behjoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I need the specific feature that e.g. when all tasks of a PBL (product backlog) is done, the PBL state be automatically changed to state "done."
        the same practice is needed for the relation between a Bug and its tasks.

Shervin Behjoo

• Matthew Eskolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This question was asked in 2012, and here I am 5 years later with the same issue... using Team Services...is there at least a way to bulk update all child items, so you don't have to click into each child item by hand???

• Theunis Mew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using TFS aggregator as a workaround for this problem, and it works well for my on-Prem solution.

But, and this is a big but. Relying on a third party plugin that may loose support or not be updated when the core product is for what should be standard out of the box features is not on.

This should really be part of the core of TFS.

• AdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have reached out to the contributors of this project, and it is actually a FREE extension.

It comes in two flavors sharing a common scripting language and configuration.

The <a href="https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tfsaggregatorteam.tfs-aggregator-server-plugin">Server Plugin</a>, for TFS 2013 Update 2 up to TFS 2017 Update 1, runs in-process of your on-premise TFS and is the most performing option. TFS takes care of insulating from crashes in the plugin.

Another option is choosing for the <a href="https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tfsaggregatorteam.tfs-aggregator-web-service">Web Service</a> version, for VSTS or TFS 2015 and later. You have to setup an hosting environment (basically an IIS Web Site) and it runs out-of the TFS process. The Web Service is the only option for Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS).

Sorry for the confusion
        Ewald Hofman

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggestions says that this is a paid solution, however it is only in trial and no announcement on the actual cost, this is a ridiculous suggestion for something that should be part of the core product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use third party (paid) solution for a feature that should be within TFS out of the box? Is it a joke? Sorry, I really do not understand. Probably, because of my bad English.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base