How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Wiki - mermaid & plantuml support

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365751/wiki-mermaid-plantuml-support.html
Love the wiki functionality.

It would be great to get support built-in or via user extensions for mermaid (https://mermaidjs.github.io/) and plantuml (https://github.com/plantuml/plantuml).

148 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sean Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PlantUML or Mermaid would be an awesome feature addition.

VS Code has support for both of these technologies, but since Mermaid is rendered in VS Code the markup isn't really usable in the Repos UI.

PlantUML can easily be exported to a png or svg which gets around the rendering issue by committing the generated assets to the repository (repo or wiki) in Repos. But this still isn't ideal.

The best option would likely be to support Mermaid for Markdown files and let the browser do the rendering when viewing the file in the Repos UI.

• Thorsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The integration of mermaid would be a great improvement of the Wiki (and its not so perfect MD editor) and would be one argument to migrate to DevOps.

• Pedro Savelis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mermaid Markdown has an excelent, easy syntax and it's widely used here in Brazil.
    Our developers would be very happy with this improvement since it's very confortable to write and share in this format.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be the killer feature for the technical documentation.
    Absolute must have.

• Ovan Crone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both would be great, but mermaid looks super simple to ship being a JavaScript package. Please make this happen sooner than later, running a build task with the cli (needs chromium 135mb) is a waste of my build minutes, but the only reasonable other solution...

• Todd Leonhardt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for diagrams in VSTS Wikis would make them much more competitive with existing full-featured Wiki tools such as DocuWiki, MediaWiki, and Confluence.

• Job Louage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

```mermaid
    graph LR
    A[Flowchart Support] -->|Result| B(Team Foundation tsunami)
    B --> C{Let me think}
    C -->|1| D[Happy users]
    C -->|2| E[More User]
    C -->|3| F[Increased Popularity]
    ```

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope this get's implemented. This would help me and my company to utilize VSTS more.
    I love Mermaid :)

• dkatwork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PlantUml inlined within Markdown wonderfully solves how to create and maintain docs that require diagrams as part of their content: use-case diagrams, architecture diagrams, data diagrams, etc.

VSTS wiki auto-rendering PlantUml code, **especially** when PlantUml code is inlined within markdown file, would be the "holy grail" of software documentation (IMO).

With this feature, I only have to maintain ONE Markdown file (with inline PlantUml) in our source repo. Have the VSTS wiki use relative reference to this file in source repo, and voila: easy to edit using VS Code (w/PlantUml plugins for rendering previews), easy to commit docs alongside source code for that product, and VSTS wiki handles the publication and rendering for readers.

Sweet: what a killer combo this would be.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base