How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Wiki - mermaid & plantuml support

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365751/wiki-mermaid-plantuml-support.html
Love the wiki functionality.

It would be great to get support built-in or via user extensions for mermaid (https://mermaidjs.github.io/) and plantuml (https://github.com/plantuml/plantuml).

148 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pedro Savelis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mermaid Markdown has an excelent, easy syntax and it's widely used here in Brazil.
        Our developers would be very happy with this improvement since it's very confortable to write and share in this format.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be the killer feature for the technical documentation.
        Absolute must have.

• Ovan Crone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Both would be great, but mermaid looks super simple to ship being a JavaScript package. Please make this happen sooner than later, running a build task with the cli (needs chromium 135mb) is a waste of my build minutes, but the only reasonable other solution...

• Todd Leonhardt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support for diagrams in VSTS Wikis would make them much more competitive with existing full-featured Wiki tools such as DocuWiki, MediaWiki, and Confluence.

• Job Louage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

```mermaid
        graph LR
        A[Flowchart Support] -->|Result| B(Team Foundation tsunami)
        B --> C{Let me think}
        C -->|1| D[Happy users]
        C -->|2| E[More User]
        C -->|3| F[Increased Popularity]
        ```

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hope this get's implemented. This would help me and my company to utilize VSTS more.
        I love Mermaid :)

• dkatwork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PlantUml inlined within Markdown wonderfully solves how to create and maintain docs that require diagrams as part of their content: use-case diagrams, architecture diagrams, data diagrams, etc.

VSTS wiki auto-rendering PlantUml code, **especially** when PlantUml code is inlined within markdown file, would be the "holy grail" of software documentation (IMO).

With this feature, I only have to maintain ONE Markdown file (with inline PlantUml) in our source repo. Have the VSTS wiki use relative reference to this file in source repo, and voila: easy to edit using VS Code (w/PlantUml plugins for rendering previews), easy to commit docs alongside source code for that product, and VSTS wiki handles the publication and rendering for readers.

Sweet: what a killer combo this would be.

• Bjego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love plant uml support in the wiki and in the shown git source. We use are checking in our current workflows as plant uml diagrams next to our source code. It would be great if the tfs / vsts would support previewing the uml content as visual studio code does.

Feedback and Knowledge Base