How can we improve Azure DevOps?

wiki notifications

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/379604/wiki-notifications.html
We need a Wiki subscription. I would like to know (and would like me team to know) when a Wiki page as been updated or if a new Wiki page has been added. Very important to the communication and collaboration value of the Wiki

175 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I almost hear 3 feedback items here:
1) Service hooks to integrate with other tools such as Slack, MSTeams etc.
- This makes sense.

2) Simple notifications on page updates
2.1) Ability to follow a page to accomplish (2) i.e get notifications on page updates
- This resonates with me a lot. I think we need to introduce Follow for a wiki page.

3) Notifications when anything in the whole Wiki repo is updated. I feel this is a more admin rather than a user level feature .. am I thinking right?

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sreenath Kurpad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our organization is moving to Azure Devops from JIRA/Confluence and end users are expecting a "notification" feature on updates to wiki pages. Currently, we are using @ Mention to notify someone but page updates are NOT being notified to them. Please provide a timeline when this feature will be rolled out. Thanks!

• Mattias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2.1) is the primary feature I would like. Just as we do Follow work items.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wondering where this is at. Voting has been closed. Personally an email notification with inline diff would be ideal for us, but I don't see why not go for the full 3 options. But any movement would be nice. It's been over a year since this was suggested and nearly a year since @VSTS Team has responded.

• Larry Kloepping commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are starting to use the Wiki for documentation on our system, so the dev team would like to be notified when anything on the wiki has been added or changed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that I'm able to get a wiki update notification digest in slack if I subscribe to a service hook that gets updates from [Any] repository, but I'm not able to separate it out, or subscribe to just the wiki repository on it's own. :(

So it seems like it would be a simple thing to add the wiki repository to the list of other repositories, and use the "Code Pushed" event as your service hook. Since it already works for the wiki, when you select [Any] repository.

• James Loftus-Mercer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to Jeff Crowley's suggestion for a "recent updates" digest feature. As documentation repos grow and evolve, it can be very useful to be able to see "what's new" at a glance.

I would love for that to be folder/section based, given that a single wiki can easily contain both important-to-daily-life policy docs as well as detailed references that devs don't necessarily need to follow as much (but conversely, reviewers of reference docs SHOULD follow every change to those).

I don't particularly care if this takes the form of a widget, page, API, and/or email notification, but it would be very useful in maintaining large wikis.

• Alejandro Barreto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- I definitely want email notifications; Teams/Slack/etc I can easily live without.
    - I want the ability to follow a page or a folder, and for to be unaffected by moves/renames
    - The email notification should ideally have the diff of what changed and a link to this diff

• Jasper Siegmund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might want to check out how it's being done in Confluence, that's nicely done. Content edit would be the most important one, but I guess a notification for the other items wouldn't hurt either (and those should be much less frequent). It's nice to include the content (or a good overview of what's changed) when the notification is being sent as an e-mail. Perhaps have the user set a preference if they want to receive notifications per e-mail, or as a toast in ADO.

• Olivier Helin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the first time the best would be to get a notification for all cases:

1. Page content edit
    2. Page rename/title edit
    3. Page delete
    4. Page move

In my mind, an advance feature would be to have settings on the user profile to allow check/uncheck notifications according to the update's type.

• AdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With point 2 as the notifications workflow, what are the actions that you would expect notifications?
    I can think of some actions (listed below), please add to the list if you feel something is missing
    1. Page content edit
    2. Page rename/title edit
    3. Page delete
    4. Page move
    For all these, the name of the person who did the action and the page in which the action was made.

Regards,
    Adithya Ramasubramanian

• Jeff Crowley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see the use for #1 but we wouldn't use it here. I see less of a use for #2 for me because it would involve following a lot of pages. #3 would be the most useful for me... not so much a notification but maybe a page or a widget that we can put on a wiki page that shows the wiki updates from the last week (or whatever timeframe). Maybe a dashboard app that shows this too?

• Jasper Siegmund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd say that to implement 2), you'll need some actionable event any way, so that would make implementing 1) rather trivial. For us, the priority lies with 2 as it would be very handy to get updates when a team member updates a specific page. For our team, 3) would not be used probably.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 would be awesome, 1 would be helpful during orchestration and perhaps deployment. 2.1 would also be excellent.

• JcD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1+2+3

3 can be for admin but also for users (like project manager or a a user with multiple roles)

• Olivier Helin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need at least the 2nd option: be able to reference a user "@user". When a user is referenced he should receive an email and became a page follower automatically by default.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base