How can we improve Azure DevOps?

wiki notifications

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/379604/wiki-notifications.html
We need a Wiki subscription. I would like to know (and would like me team to know) when a Wiki page as been updated or if a new Wiki page has been added. Very important to the communication and collaboration value of the Wiki

175 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I almost hear 3 feedback items here:
1) Service hooks to integrate with other tools such as Slack, MSTeams etc.
- This makes sense.

2) Simple notifications on page updates
2.1) Ability to follow a page to accomplish (2) i.e get notifications on page updates
- This resonates with me a lot. I think we need to introduce Follow for a wiki page.

3) Notifications when anything in the whole Wiki repo is updated. I feel this is a more admin rather than a user level feature .. am I thinking right?

37 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Luke Puplett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey - #2 please :) to my mind this would need a quiet-period to cut spamming lots of little edits.

Related is a general digest of changes on the wiki as a whole, its nice to see what people are working on.

~

More general feedback for your team: the wiki has proved a huge hit at this company. They worked on Word and Excel documents on a Sharepoint via a terminal session before..!

I campaigned for Confluence before stumbling upon the new Wiki feature, so I taught everyone Markdown and the idea of light, DRY docs.

Now the devs, analysts and testers all use the wiki and I expect it'll expand further. We aim to one day write pages automatically by scripts inspecting the running environment.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the follow page is driven via a the Wiki pages tree then point 2 and 3 would be covered Users can select the level the want to get notifications.

All these 3 would be extremely useful. We currently use it for our internal doc repository and would love to get notified on specific page changes

• Ted Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the wiki is stored in git, isn't this the same as notifications or summary of changes for a git repo? Possibly with markdown support in the body of the notification.

• Greg Sohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Service Hooks - yes
    2) Simple notification - yes and priority #1
    3) Not sure I get this one - but the need doesn't jump out for me

We are using wiki as an internal documentation tool...which means different teams have created their own pages. I think option 3 could be disruptive if everyone gets notified of anything that changes. I'd like to be able to follow a certain page and get updates on anything related to that page and any of the subpages.

I vote for options 1 and 2.

• Steve Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) definitely required to make the service hooks fully featured. This is what I was looking for originally.

2) the ability to follow specific pages would be fantastic.

3) we have been able to subscribe to whole wiki updates (via repo commits if the repo matches ".wiki") with the existing notifications, however, it is clunky and provides too much of the firehose effect.

• Mike Goatly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) yes, speaking for myself, this is the nub of the matter.

2) If this would result in an email being sent, then this is less useful from my perspective. I have found that even though build/release notifications get sent out to my team, they just get drowned out with other noise. Adding page change notifications would just add to this and decrease their overall value.

3) I actually think this relates closely to 1) - while the wiki is small, but growing, it would be nice for *all* change notifications to be published to a channel to keep people informed of new information. As the wiki matures into (hopefully) a hierarchically ordered source of information, I could see the importance of being able to have different channels reporting on changed in different areas of the wiki-base.

• Siska commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the page with an overview of the last updated pages. It would be great to have that

• Rolf Eleveld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the back-end of the wiki is a GIT repository would it not be easy to allow the admin to expose this and allow members to subscribe to commits? Would not be like Wikipedia, but at least cover the notifications and then people can check the page to see details.

• Steve Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even just providing a Services Hook for wiki updates, the same way that work items have hooks, would allow us to push the notification events out to Slack. The wiki can't be usefully collaborative if nobody knows that it is being updated.

• Angus Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also a page which lists updated pages would be great as well.

Users could use this page to keep updated with new and updated topics

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using the Wiki as internal documentation of features. We would like owners to be able to subscribe to a page so they can verify content is accurate and appropriate and be able to respond to questions.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base