How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Customize the columns on the Task Board

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365416/customize-the-columns-on-the-task-board.html
- Configure columns on the task board, just as on the Kanban board
- allow to control what workitems should appear on a board (even if not linked to a user story/pbi)
- allow setting of WIP limits per column

893 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert Atbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling users to customer their column on the task board, has been an outstanding wish for us for a long time. A year ago we were planning to pick this one up, but unfortunately we were not able to get to it because of other priorities. We have kept the state of the user voice item as Planned for a long time, as it was always on the edge of being picked up.

In our latest planning cycle, it is clear that it is still high on our list, but we won’t be able to get to it in the next 3-6 months. In a few months we will have our next planning cycle, and it will be again one of the features that we desperately want to deliver to you. I hope to have better news in a few months. Sorry.

Ewald Hofman
    Program Manager

117 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dennie Bastiaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's curious that this isn't available, yet Microsoft found the time to completely restyle the website to Azure DevOps. It's basic functionality that TFS supported through the power tools. This is the type of stuff that makes an actual white board so much more compelling for scrum.

Please consider placing this higher on the list of planned items.

• Russweb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My teams are asking why they can't watch/manage track/use other work items on their task board, even if they are not backlog items.
        They still want to track them, move them across states, and see them along with their other items on one board.
        Like "Impediments", "Issues", "Risks" , "Ideas", or anything else they want to focus on during that sprint.

Yes, I understand the state flows would need to be the same or this gets wacky.
        So either that can be a requirements, or you can allow multiple boards to track items (as you would with KanBan) w/o having to make all of these items backlog items.

Its a big weird to require the users to go off and start using queries and reports widgets to do this type of tracking. It also means they dont have rich and feature-filled interface to work with.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"I hope to have better news in a few months." That was nearly two years ago. Any update?

• Joberto Diniz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is unfortunate :(
        To Do -> In Progress -> In Review (pull request created) -> Done

So simple... it's a MUST

• Baskar Lingam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this yet? At least there should be some work around till a long term solution is provided..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the major pain points I currently have with VSTS. Compared to JIRA, it is very difficult to create a custom workflow and board that is easy enough for average business users to understand and interact with. Being unable to group multiple work items states into a single column and being unable to create different boards/views for technical and non-technical users or different teams is just awfully limiting.

• Jason Donnelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of my scrum teams are beginning to migrate to the Jira toolset because this feature is missing. Very disappointed that I have to continually defend the virtues of the VSTS platform to my end users. They keep quoting "People over Process" and that the tooling should not be restricting or defining the way the scrum team works.

Please, this has to be addressed ASAP.

• Aniek V commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you provide an update regarding this topic? We are looking forward to this feature!

• markl.nz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Kristian, the only way currently to add columns on the board is to customise the process template. As the process is applied at a project level, that's the most granular you can get. You can't customise at a team level.

If you modify the process that is in use on a given project, it should apply to all teams in that project.

• Kristan Breedon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or failing that, cascade the column changes in the process from project down to all teams within a project?

• markl.nz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Sami yes, if you read the whole thread you'll see that's been mentioned already a couple of times.

However, this is a stop gap solution for a number of reasons. The mere fact that you can do this is not obvious. The functionality for add states is not accessible directly from the board, where other board settings are, and I think it really should be - similar to swim lanes and added columns on the Kanban board. Also, when you add a state for one work item type you (e.g. task) you have to also add that state to other work item types that might share the same board (e.g. bug) and ensure that both WITs share the same set of states, in the same order, or you're going to have trouble figuring out what's happening on your board. Also, adding states to the process is really very rudimentary currently, as you cannot do things like restrict state transitions, set fields on state changes, etc.

All in all, it's possible, but it's an unsatisfactory mess, and clearly, a proper solution to this would be a very popular enhancement.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base