How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Hide iteration work items in web access backlog or modify the query

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365417/hide-iteration-work-items-in-web-access-backlog-or.html
When in the backlog view in Team Web Access, it would be helpful to be able to hide work items that have already been assigned to an iteration. I think this could be accomplished by some sort of option or by being able to modify the backlog query

74 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mike Douglas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Beezbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't worry, the suggestion is still in their backlog ... it just got lost amid all the other completed/non-relevant items in their backlog so they forgot about it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of metastates you should change the query to ask for an equal operator and not the "under" operator on the clause related to the iteration_path. Why did you do it that way?
    We are in a deadlock here since Iterations and default backlog cannot be at the same level in order to be visibile, so there´s nothing we can do and the Product Backlog, the main asset for Agile is completely useless.
    We need a fix asap please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thats not true, I use TFS2013 Update4 and I see in my backlog Bug,Req regarless witch state they have (Resolved, Active) Only Closed Items are hidden

• Bob Stellick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to the comment from Ewald - "CMMI: Requirements in an iteration are removed from the backlog when in the state Active, Resolved or Closed"

It was working this way for me in our previous version 2012, but sine the upgrade to 2013 it now shows everything regardless. This makes the backlog list not really a backlog and not very useful for easily showing what is remaining.

• Chuck Lazarr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to see the query used by the Backlog TFS 2013 web view for stories (e.g., the Product Backlog query) in the Queries area and edit it to change the query filter would allow all of us to alter the base behavior to customize it to the way our teams want to see their Product Backlogs. This capability would address a lot of the requests relating to the PB view.

• Andy Fritsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this feature request. It would be useful to be able to modify the query to filter the product backlog by Area Path. I use the Area Path to mark some PBIs as "Inactive". I don't want to remove them from the backlog because I want to keep them around longer as I may choose to resurrect them into the backlog (I know this is a debatable practice. That's not the issue) . But they are inactive enough that they act as visual clutter in the backlog. Filtering them out would "hide" them.

• Paul Ulvinius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an issue especially if “definition of done” is when a story passes user acceptance testing. The top of the backlog will soon get cluttered with older items that has little meaning to the current planning process. Consider a 3 week sprint with a sprint release, perhaps with a release to a reference environment where new stories are tested for a couple of weeks until they are finally promoted into production. The lifecycle of stories like this could easily be 4-6 weeks from committed to done. The top section of the backlog will always be of lesser relevance, more or less undermining the true purpose of the product backlog. Will you please expand on “strong customer feedback” mentioned above? What was the main reasoning that caused you to change the behavior of the backlog without the option of keeping the old behavior?

• Darien Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ewald, as Bill and Noah have pointed out, I am seeing the same issue. I have PBIs marked appropriately but still see them on the backlog.

• Bill Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ewald. What you have described was once true but is no longer true. I am using visualstudio.com and I have a PBI marked as completed but it is still in the backlog.

Feedback and Knowledge Base