How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Use team fields instead of area paths to support teams

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365897/use-team-fields-instead-of-area-paths-to-support-t.html
I found this idea has been proposed many times under different names, and everytime got archived for too few votes.
So I will post this again if it this time would get more votes :)
Currently one can separate Team responsibilities only by Area Path. TFS supports specific team field but VSTS does not. Plese have this functionality in VSTS too. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/work/customize/use-team-fields-instead-area-paths

188 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sami shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same issue. Because we already have it in Azure DevOps in the old navegation.
        It would be good to have the Team field by default in Azure DevOps.

Having the Team in the area paths would be less effective and less efficient for us to manage the backlog and manage tasks. With the separate field on the form it makes it easier for use to manage our queries and reporting.

Sometimes it takes a village - software should enable to village and not hinder it

• Cynde Carley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have several team members that work across product areas. Having the ability to customize the Team Fields for organizing the backlog increases agile efficiency. Our company wants to move from on-premise TFS to VSTS however, without the support of Team Fields it will be difficult to migrate. Please consider adding this feature to VSTS. We are committed to cloud based tools and VSTS would be very beneficial to our teams.

• Maggie Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. We really should have the same functionality that Microsoft had recommended to use in TFS "Team Field" customization, available in VSTS. Moving to VSTS shouldn't negate the work created in TFS for use by an entire organization, however it appears there is no solution as you will block migration to VSTS if a collection has team field customization. If that is the case, how much additional work is needed to clean up TFS for a migration?

We team's today and have customized our TFS version to support. My agile backlog has 4 teams supporting the work today. We definitely need this enhancement to move to VSTS. Prior to the customization, we use to use the area paths and frankly, it created limitations that were difficult to overcome.

Our team is looking at how to migrate our TFS deployment to VSTS as quickly as possible. Perhaps the greatest challenge is that for us we rely on the Microsoft-recommended “Team Field” customization. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not (yet) support that in VSTS.

• Marc Messineo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd encourage all interested folks to have all users in their organizations vote for this improvement. I'd just started a get-out-the-vote campaign in my org, since we'd like to get to VSTS and this is our biggest obstacle. Thanks

Feedback and Knowledge Base