How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Add Mercurial support to Team Foundation Server

The addition of Git support to TFS is really good news for us DVCS aficionados. However, while many teams are satisfied with it, many others find it a very contentious option due to its fairly steep learning curve, unintuitive behaviour, and at times confusing terminology.

For teams that are making their first steps into distributed version control, Mercurial may be a better option. It would be great if TFS could support both systems.

1,098 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James McKay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback about adding Mercurial as a source control option for TFS.

At this time, we are not planning to add support for any additional version control systems to TFS. The addition of Git to TFS provides teams with the option of the preeminent distributed version control system or the existing centralized version control system, TFVC. For developers that are specifically looking for Mercurial support, one option is to use the Hg-Git plugin that aims to losslessly convert Git commits coming from a Git server to Mercurial changesets.

Matt Mitrik
    TFS Program Manager

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I got pretty far down the road of moving all of our products to vsts before I realized that the half on Mercurial would not work. Wasted effort now.

• Marcel Toth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please take my +1 for Mercurial support. Git does not handle branch history well, it's a design flaw of git and it prohibits any meaningful visualization of history in the GUI tools.

• Seth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Preeminent? Perhaps "most popular" would be more accurate. I can see how Git-only is a resource efficient approach for the TFS team; however, a plugin model would be a better choice for users and seemingly more inline with the go-where-the-users-are strategy Microsoft appears to be pursuing.

• xte knagn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Git is so hipster, how dare you guys ask for anything else?! You see, if you've got any problems with it, just do git rebase add ... --cherrypick --push -m -c -x --fetch --force --XXIII --the-long-command-is-there-for-a-reason -a --wtf HEAD~93 e34228a421fd HEAD^ --reset --help --soft

• jason hurdlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Version Control System support should be implemented via a plugin interface, so that any system can be utilized. Locking us in to specific tools in this space is arrogant and limiting. We use Perforce (though like most on this suggestion I dig Mercurial too), and until we can use it with Team Services, Team Services is dead to us, and we won't use it. Hard-coding to TFS and Git was a pretty bad mistake.

• Andre Luus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just came back here after having to sort out hundreds of bogus conflicts thanks to Git's stupidity. I've been here before and only now realized once a suggestion has been decided upon you close votes for it. Does that make sense? I'm sure many more people would have voted for this over the last three years but now you'll never know. No point in having a "user voice" in this case then?

The passed 3 years from first post and still nothing. If you add support for Mercurial will also get a large amount of people who already use it. My opinion Mercurial is better than Git. The git became more well known from github.

• EK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been using Mercurial AND Git for years. Mercurial for internal projects, Git for projects where we collaborate with devs from outside the company. Mercurial is superior to Git in almost every aspect except it's not as common as Git.

I'm sure Microsoft can add HG without too many issues. Waiting for this to happen.

This just hold us back from switching to TFS.
        When using Redmine we can choose version control.

• Dr. Ted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HG properly handles branches. Git only kind-of simulates the process through use of naming conventions.

• JP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see this, too. I like both TFS and Mercurial (Mercurial better than GIT).

• Miguel Alho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the new TFS Build definition system, adding Hg support would make it even more flexible. This would really be a great addition, or at least allow some extensibility mechanism to be added for this; The repository tab currently only lists internal repository types, so allowing external types would also be really nice.

• Avner Silberman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give Hg users first-class support in the IDE. Yes there is visual-hg but I'd love to see this built-in.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base