How can we improve Azure DevOps?

In Team Foundation Service, allow projects to be "public", like GitHub

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365426/in-team-foundation-service-allow-projects-to-be-pu.html
I really like Team Foundation Service, but I keep find I get drawn back to GitHub for Open Source projects.

I realise CodePlex already exists, but they don't have the full TFS facilities (Build etc).

I would like to see the ability to have public projects for our Open Source work.

165 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Greg Pakes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jani Hyytiäinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linked Azure Resource Manager templates needs this. At least the ability to have a public link to a file in a git repository.

• Adam Plocher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to public, I would like to suggest offering a public BUT UNLISTED option, as well. For example, I have been working on a very in-depth interview for a company for the last 2 weeks. I want to publish my project to Github or VSO but I don't want it easily found from a Google search. I don't know the staff accounts to invite them currently. I'm sure this is a bit of an edge case but so far neither bitbucket nor github offer this. Public is public AF.

• Carl de Billy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my organisation we're using VSTS since a moment and are loving it. We are using the authentication federation through Azure AD and it's working will.

We recently started publishing some of our internal projects as opened source. It's bad we have to rely on Github to make it widely available. Since we're already paying for VSTS, we don't want to pay for having our users to authenticate on Github with their Azure AD credentials - the cost is way too high for our needs.

The best solution for us would be to "open" some of our projects on VSTS to everybody interested.

• Daniel Fredriksen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is becoming increasingly more relevant as many .NET technologies are becoming open source as well. Often times an open source project may be forked internally with the intent of eventually re-merging with the original project. It is an organizational nightmare to have to keep switching between Bitbucket, Github, and TFS for various projects when I could in theory migrate all of my organization(s) codebase to a single product, TFS. The project tracking in TFS in my opinion is superior to that of Github and you get more for your money with Office 365 as opposed to an Atlassian subscription so it would be worth me saving money by removing some of my independent contractors from my Bitbucket plan and bringing them into my Office 365 plan just for the repo access. Alas, some of those projects are open source and without a public project option we cannot

• Alan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would just cause more problems than it's worth. It will fragment the open source community that has de facto standardized on using GitHub, and the risk of private repos being accidentally exposed publicly is too great for enterprises using VSTS.

• afuzzyllama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice if build logs and test results could be made public. It would be nice to be able to back that "build successful" badge up with some stats/logs!

• David Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature, but not necessarily for letting source code be public - but to have public access to things like an issue tracker, e.g. the source is still closed source, but submitting bug reports that become work items in VSO would be perfect. Like the GitHub issue tracker but for VSO.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was excited to use VSO, but not being able to publically share repositories is a non-starter for many projects. The world has changed....

• Reow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur - it's a pita to use both TFS online and SF for the one project.

• Animesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be a fantastic feature considering that all major code hosting facilities like Github, Codeplex and Bitbucket allow that.

Feedback and Knowledge Base