How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Burndown chart should use the capacity of the team for the ideal trend

It would be nice if the team's capacity is used for calculating the ideal trend within the burndown chart.

Whenever one or more parttime team members are involved, the burndown is not 'reliable' / accurate enough to use.

32 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bram Nawijn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to remove the Available Capacity data/line from the Burndown chart?

• Lukas Grützmacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another (existing) suggestion is to add another line just for team capacity.
        For me this would solve the problem, too.

• Lukas Grützmacher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For daily scrum meeting it would be helpful to see if current progress (remaining hours) is close to ideal/expected progress next days.
        Today it is helpful to exclude weekend days already. I guess free days for whole team are/should be excluded, too.
        But further the "ideal" line shall respect free days for individual team members.

• Andrew Pirkola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are two ways I see responding to this.

#1 - what is "ideal"
        If the idea is to show what we need to be doing to deliver, then I'd argue it's correct as it is.

#2 - what is "expected"
        If instead, we want the chart to show us what we expect to happen based on our capacity, then the behavior would be a bit different.

For one thing, it may not end at 0; based on our capacity we may not be able to predict success. I actually think this would be nice to illustrate the predicted miss and change the chart's color to draw attention to the looming commitment miss.

If we wanted to create an "expected" burn-down then all of the necessary information should also be available.

Teams can now configure their working days with update 2 (however, I'm not sure how that plays with the working days configured in the team project's process config)

In the capacity planning we specify how many hours per day a team member has and which days (if any) they're not working. Thus, day per day we can simply add up the capacity available and show how it could be applied and we'd be able to see flat points in the expected burn-down when there are mass vacations or holidays.

The "ideal" and "expected" burn down lines are very different things, so to that end I'd say that you're suggestion is really to add an "expected burn down" feature that could be used instead of the ideal line. For those who elect to use it, it'd be very nice because it'd take advantage of all the information the team has given the tool and illustrate what they're plan looks like.

I'd love that feature.

• Theodor Kleynhans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be useful if the team's capacity is overlaid on the burndown chart. Since some team members may have days off in the sprint, having a different-colored column-style chart for the available capacity for each day might be nice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base