How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Mobile App for Visual Studio Online / TFS

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365491/mobile-app-for-visual-studio-online-tfs.html
It would be great to have a mobile app that works across platforms (iOS, Android and Windows) that would let customers work with Visual Studio Online or on-premises TFS.

The app would enable things such as backlog management on the go, the ability to see/manage builds and more.

324 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dmitry Lyalin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The mobile web interface isn't cutting it with only a very limited set of capabilities to manage existing items only. And try interacting with the full site on a phone or tablet browser. It's an exercise in frustration. With the re-branding to Azure DevOps, I'm hoping this can get a little more traction considering this post was started more than 3 years ago.

• Felix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My VSTS iOS app for managing projects, work items and builds is now available on the App Store. More info can be found here: http://vsts.co.uk

let me know on twitter if there are any more features you want to see. I am currently also working on the Android version

• Eric Hendrickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JIRA has a great mobile app. In this way VSTS is behind. I believe having one is completely required to be competitive. Please please please create a mobile app.

• Ray Terrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty mind-boggling that VSO doesn't include more functionality in the mobile browser experience. Github offers MUCH more. Any update on this functionality coming to VSO?

• Luigi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If perhaps a native experience is not targeted right now, maybe pushing the mobile web app into a PWA (progressive web app) with a selected features subsets like PR management would make sense? Or diverging into a from scratch native experience by using xamarin. Just thinking out loud.

• Olle Reuterhall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a modern way of working we are striving to get the team involved in the teams work – if we limit the visibility to only “my work” we take at least one step back. So in my mind the possibility to see “my work” over a mobile interface would be the least wanted feature. I would also presume that a developer or for that matter an architect or a business analyst would be in front of their computer when doing their work and not be sitting on the subway using their mobile device. Someone planning the work, as for example a product owner, will often work in another way – and their work could partly be done via mobile device (if all views were responsive of course). So here is my list of prioritized features for the mobile view:
    1. List the backlog
    2. Make the backlog items clickable (entering the item view already implemented)
    3. Make it possible to add new items to the backlog
    4. MAke it possible to prioritize the backlog
    5. List the sprint log
    6. Make the sprint log items clickable
    7. Make it possible to add new and existing items to the sprint
    8. Show the scrum/kanban board
    9. Make the items in the scrum board clickable
    10. Make it possible to move the items between different columns in the scrum board

We are currently using Trello for our projects and it is pretty limited but it is also super easy to use – both on web and mobile. I would love to have the VSTS web experience on my mobile phone – if so we would make the move towards using VSTS instead. Take a sneak peek at how Trello does it (I assume you have) – very few clicks and very easy to understand how things are done.

• Mateusz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to have an opportunity to easily read code (stored in GIT repository in Visual Studio Online) on my Android phone.
    My previous experience with Github suggest that reading/commenting code on mobile might be much more convenient than what VSO offers.

• Julien Ferraro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wold like to be able to create and edit PBI/tasks/bugs on the go.
    I sometimes only have access to my Windows mobile and need to create PBI from my customer's place.
    The edit experience is not great, to say the least.

I don't think that an app would do the job, VSTS is evolving so fast that it would be difficult for the app to stay on track.

Just give us a great responsive view for the main screens

• AdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Olle,

Currently we (VSTS) don't offer a native app for mobile devices. As you have discovered we do support a mobile experience within your web browser that is limited today to only work items with views that allow you to digest work items that are assigned to you, that you're following, and your recent activity.

The plan here is to make other areas of the product mobile-friendly (most likely starting with PRs) but I don't have an ETA I can share with you at the moment. However, I would be super interested in learning about other scenarios you think are useful. Feel free to shoot me an email at joserady at microsoft dot com.

Best,
    Jose Rady Allende
    PM | Visual Studio Team Services

• Olle Reuterhall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also looking for a great app (iOs and Android) for VSTS. Primarily for backlog/sprint planning. Tried TFS Mobile - but cannot login - seems like its not using the same login as the other apps (MS own login functionality). I've also tried "VSTS on Mobile" and it hangs on "redirecting" when I have logged in on MS. @nagaraj and @pfedotovsky

I just saw that the VSTS site is now responsive - but unfortunatly with VERY limited functionality.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah the mobile view is terrible. Just finished a pull request review but it's far from optimal. There's no suitable app either.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base