Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customize Process Template on Visual Studio Team Services

In Visual Studio Team Services, allow the ability to change the current process template a created project is using as well as the ability to upload your own process templates to create new team projects with.

2,177 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

246 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since December we have come a long way. We have added states customization, gave you the ability to customize your portfolio backlogs.

We are close to deliver the customization of rules to you and allow you to share fields across multiple processes. After that we want to allow you to clone processes and share a process across accounts. Also we plan to give you a full set of REST APIs to automate picklists. You should see these improvements coming alive in VSTS in the next 2 to 4 months.

Once that is completed we want to extend the feature to “move team projects between processes” today it is limited. You can only move a project from Inherited to its parent and vice versa. We want to give you the ability to move a team project from any process to any other process which enables a conversion from Agile to Scrum,…

• make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

1,697 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling the ability to move projects between collections is a feature that we’re committed to delivering. Since this feature is so highly requested, I’d like to provide some additional details behind why this has been pushed out.

Simply put the issue is the cost to complete this feature. One way to think of it is that it’s XXXL in T-shirt sizing. A Team Project Collection (TPC) is a pretty rigid bounding container. It‘s the scope at which a number of “global” things exist.

One such example is change set numbers. They start at 1 and count up in each TPC. That means projects in a TPC can’t have overlapping change set numbers. It also means that if you wanted to move TFVC projects between TPCs, you have to renumber all the change sets. That’s exacerbated by a requirement that change set numbers be time ordered. That means…

• Integrate Office365 and Visual Studio Team Services

Please integrate Visual Studio Team Services and Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Team Services will be likely to be using Office 365.

Integration should include:
        - Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID (or Microsoft Accounts).

- SharePoint site integration - from Visual Studio Team Services let me configure a site that I can host file sharing from, including the ability to use Office 365 as a SharePoint source. Administrative functionality should be included provided the user has the ability to administer Office365.

-…

1,174 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide build configuration dependencies in TFS Build

Provide the ability to create build configuration dependencies such that the success of one build configuration can trigger another build configuration such as a successful build triggering the building of an installation package or a build configuration which deploys to a development or staging server. Other tools such as Cruise Control.Net and Jetbrains TeamCity already offer build configuration dependencies/build configuration triggering through various means, therefore, TFS Build should also provide this type of support.

1,022 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  63 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Let us create multiple collections on Visual Studio Team Services

As an organization with 25+ developers and 15+ ongoing/supported projects for several customers, we need the ability to group our team projects into different project collections.

I am sure we are not the only ones.

1,021 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Work is still ongoing for our plan to enable an Organizations experience for Team Services. We will open up a private preview in 2017 H2 for interested customers to sign up to use this feature. I will provide another update when we are close to open up the private preview.

Rajesh Ramamurthy
              Program Manager – VSTS & TFS

• TFS code review should not require a new code review to be started when code that is already under review is changed based on review comment

It seems that TFS requires a new code review to be started whenever code that is already under review is updated in response to review comments. It is not only unnecessary busy work for a developer to initiate a new review each time a review comment would suggest a change to the code that is already under review is necessary, but it also prevents having a single picture of changes made as a result of the review process.

With the current method, a single logical code review may span multiple physical code reviews and the comments for the single logical…

1,009 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of investment taking place on our code review platform that will enable iterative code reviews, and we will initially bring that functionality to Git (via pull requests). Improving iterative code reviews for TFVC is still on our backlog, but it is not in our 6 month plan, so we are resetting the status.

Matt Mitrik

• Allow for updating process templates on existing projects in TFS

To keep up with improving processes, there needs to be a migration path for existing templates to be upgraded to new templates. Some information in work items may be lost when mapping these to new work item types of the new templates, but this may well worth the benefits of moving to a newer process. Creating a new team project is not always feasible, especially if the source code versioning needs to be in place.

978 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately we have had to make the decision to not bring the new Inheritance model to TFS on-prem with the next major release. It was a tough decision that we didn’t take lightly. The scope cuts that we had to make in order to deliver it to on-prem were just too painful, and would not give the User Experience we would be proud of.

We are still planning to bring it to our on-prem customers in a future release of TFS.

Sorry for not having a better answer.

Ewald Hofman
                  VSTS/TFS Program Manager

• Ability for TFS sprint capacity and days off for a project to be inherited by teams

For businesses where a single scrum team works on multiple projects/products per sprint, sprint planning is painful in TFS 2015.

One approach is to have a single TFS project and teams representing each product. This simplifies backlog management. However, capacity planning is still time consuming.

I would recommend capacity planning for a team has a checkbox to "Inherit capacity and days off from parent project". This would allows only having to set capacity and days off at the TFS project level without having to duplicate it at the sub-team level.

Currently TFS is not designed for single scrum teams with…

736 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Treat TFS as an Enterprise Symbol Server

I want my Team Foundation Server instance to be the Symbol Server for the Enterprise. Visual Studio and other debugging clients could then inherently understand when it sees a TFS URL how to locate the symbols or alternately, TFS could provide a URL that exposes symbols correctly (i.e. https://tfs.mycompany.com/tfs/DefaultCollection/Symbols). For those using the Azure-based hosted Team Foundation Service solution, it provides them a publicly-accessible (with authentication) location for Symbol Server as well.

We don't need a file share any longer if you have a TFS server! Symbols could be stored and maintained using the version control system (or some…

667 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are planning to have a private preview of the VSTS Symbol service when the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3 release. This will allow integrated authentication from Visual Studio to the VSTS Symbol Server.

Dandan He
                      Program Manager

• provide a way to version-control build definitions

Currently, there is no way to revert back to an old version of a Build definition once you've made changes to it.

641 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With TFS 2017 and VSTS, you can see a history of changes for a build definition. You can select a previous version from that history and restore the definition to that version.

We are now beginning to look at how we can manage definitions entirely in source control so that you can use the same branching and policies for definitions as for the rest of your code.

• Make visible the current working changeset at which the code is updated in TFS Source Control History

It could be useful to see which is the current working changeset at which the source code is updated like in SVN.
                        For example using a bold font for the changeset line in the History

620 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add option to Enable/Disable Deployment inside Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) TestSettings as in the local TestSettings

I need to run test inside MTM, and I need to add a TestSettings configuration to configure some options, but I need to disable deplyment as I need to run test in the build location.
                          Using visual studio testsettings there is a check in the deplyment section to disable deployment, but inside MTM testsettings options there is no such option, there is only the possibility to add folders, not to disable deplyment

560 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Customize the columns on the Task Board

- Configure columns on the task board, just as on the Kanban board
                            - allow to control what workitems should appear on a board (even if not linked to a user story/pbi)
                            - allow setting of WIP limits per column

543 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

75 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling users to customer their column on the task board, has been an outstanding wish for us for a long time. A year ago we were planning to pick this one up, but unfortunately we were not able to get to it because of other priorities. We have kept the state of the user voice item as Planned for a long time, as it was always on the edge of being picked up.

In our latest planning cycle, it is clear that it is still high on our list, but we won’t be able to get to it in the next 3-6 months. In a few months we will have our next planning cycle, and it will be again one of the features that we desperately want to deliver to you. I hope to have better news in a few months. Sorry.

Ewald Hofman
                              Program Manager

• Hide Work Item Types (WITs) based on permission/security group

Within a team project, you should be able to specify who is allowed to create a specific Work Item Type.

A user should only see Work Item Types in the "New Work Item" menu (Team Explorer, TEE, Team Web Access), that the user is allowed to create.

521 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Support calculated fields in TFS

The ability to create work item fields which are based on a calculation of the value of fields in linked work items.

For example, if a Product Backlog work item has two children Task work items which each have remaining work, it would be incredibly beneficial to have a field on the Product Backlog work item that was able to roll-up the values of these fields. That is to say that if the remaining work on the two Tasks for that Product Backlog item were 5 and 10 respectively, the Product Backlog work item could show that the sum of…

473 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add server-side git hooks

Please add server-side git hooks. Github has this feature and it is extremely useful.

More info here: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks#Server-Side-Hooks

388 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started work to improve our Service Hooks for pull requests and to build a status API for pull requests. These features will allow teams to build external tooling that participates in the PR workflow and approval process. We don’t yet have crisp timeline for the release, but we expect this to be available before the end of summer.

Matt Mitrik
                                    Program Manager

• Allow Burndown to use story points instead of hours

We typically don't use hours on our tasks. It would be nice to change the burndown in TFS to use story points on completed/non-completed PBIs instead.

316 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The new Analytics Marketplace extension is now available and provides a suite of three new Dashboard Widgets (CFD, Cycle Time and Lead Time). We are working on the next set of widgets including Velocity, Burndown/up and Trend which will be available over the next few months.

The Burndown/up Widget will support using any numeric field (including Story Points)

Josh Zimmerman

• Add ability to hide/mask fields in a work item based on security/permissions

Currently you can make work item fields READ-ONLY for certain groups of users. We would like to have the ability to hide fields or to mask the value of the field as well based on security permissions.

For example we require our PM's, Dev's and QA's to enter time estimates for enhancements and defects. These are values that we don't want our Sales/Consulting teams and potentially End-Users from seeing.

301 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Allow to move more than one file at once in TFS source control

It is currently only possible to move files one by one in TFS source control, which means that it takes a lot of time to move several files from one place to another place. It would be great if one could select multiple files and move them to another place at once.

289 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Allow Teams to work over multiple Projects (Teams at the Collection level in Visual Studio Online)

I would like to see enhanced support for Teams that work across multiple Projects or Backlogs. My initial thought is to pull the Team concept up one level so that Visual Studio Teams are created at the Collection level rather than the Project.

== Background Context ==

One of my favourite features in Visual Studio is the concept of Teams. However, we want our real world development teams to be long lived entities rather than dismembering working teams after a project and treating people as fungible resources that we pull together from the bench players. Although I love the team…

274 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 120 121
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base