Team Services

Welcome to the Team Services UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for Visual Studio Team Services (cloud) and Team Foundation Server (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a Team Services or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Team Services team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Team Services?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customize Process Template on Visual Studio Team Services

In Visual Studio Team Services, allow the ability to change the current process template a created project is using as well as the ability to upload your own process templates to create new team projects with.

5,100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      234 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the December 10th deployment, we have released our first phase of our rollout plan to deliver process customization to Visual Studio Team Services. You can now add your own fields, and change the layout of the work item form.

We’ll continue marching down our backlog and add more customizations until we reach full parity with what we have in TFS. This is going to take some time and you can read more about our plans in this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2016/01/11/process-customization-futures.aspx.

• make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

3,466 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        65 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling the ability to move projects between collections is a feature that we’re committed to delivering. Since this feature is so highly requested, I’d like to provide some additional details behind why this has been pushed out.

Simply put the issue is the cost to complete this feature. One way to think of it is that it’s XXXL in T-shirt sizing. A Team Project Collection (TPC) is a pretty rigid bounding container. It‘s the scope at which a number of “global” things exist.

One such example is change set numbers. They start at 1 and count up in each TPC. That means projects in a TPC can’t have overlapping change set numbers. It also means that if you wanted to move TFVC projects between TPCs, you have to renumber all the change sets. That’s exacerbated by a requirement that change set numbers be time ordered. That means…

• Integrate Office365 and Visual Studio Team Services

Please integrate Visual Studio Team Services and Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Team Services will be likely to be using Office 365.

Integration should include:
        - Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID (or Microsoft Accounts).

- SharePoint site integration - from Visual Studio Team Services let me configure a site that I can host file sharing from, including the ability to use Office 365 as a SharePoint source. Administrative functionality should be included provided the user has the ability to administer Office365.

-…

2,537 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          66 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide build configuration dependencies in TFS Build

Provide the ability to create build configuration dependencies such that the success of one build configuration can trigger another build configuration such as a successful build triggering the building of an installation package or a build configuration which deploys to a development or staging server. Other tools such as Cruise Control.Net and Jetbrains TeamCity already offer build configuration dependencies/build configuration triggering through various means, therefore, TFS Build should also provide this type of support.

2,519 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            planned  ·  51 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • TFS code review should not require a new code review to be started when code that is already under review is changed based on review comment

It seems that TFS requires a new code review to be started whenever code that is already under review is updated in response to review comments. It is not only unnecessary busy work for a developer to initiate a new review each time a review comment would suggest a change to the code that is already under review is necessary, but it also prevents having a single picture of changes made as a result of the review process.

With the current method, a single logical code review may span multiple physical code reviews and the comments for the single logical…

2,316 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              58 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of investment taking place on our code review platform that will enable iterative code reviews, and we will initially bring that functionality to Git (via pull requests). Improving iterative code reviews for TFVC is still on our backlog, but it is not in our 6 month plan, so we are resetting the status.

Matt Mitrik

• Let us create multiple collections on Visual Studio Team Services

As an organization with 25+ developers and 15+ ongoing/supported projects for several customers, we need the ability to group our team projects into different project collections.

I am sure we are not the only ones.

2,309 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                103 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Work is still ongoing for our plan to enable an Organizations experience for Team Services. We’re expecting this feature to become publicly available sometime in Q1 2017. We’ll be sure to provide updates as we get closer to releasing.

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out an overview of our overall plan.

Rogan Ferguson & Rajesh Ramamurthy
                VSTS Program Managers

• Allow for updating process templates on existing projects in TFS

To keep up with improving processes, there needs to be a migration path for existing templates to be upgraded to new templates. Some information in work items may be lost when mapping these to new work item types of the new templates, but this may well worth the benefits of moving to a newer process. Creating a new team project is not always feasible, especially if the source code versioning needs to be in place.

1,880 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  30 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of the process customization modernization effort, we’ll be bringing all the new value you’ve seen on Visual Studio Team Services to next version of Team Foundation Server as well. Existing customers will not be forced onto the new customization stack as part of upgrade. In the next version of Team Foundation Server you can choose whether you want to keep using the existing functionality with witadmin and xml editing, or you will have the opportunity to use the new functionality with process inheritance and WYSIWYG editing in the web. The new functionality is available in new collections or after migrating existing collections after upgrade.

Justin Marks

• Add option to Enable/Disable Deployment inside Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) TestSettings as in the local TestSettings

I need to run test inside MTM, and I need to add a TestSettings configuration to configure some options, but I need to disable deplyment as I need to run test in the build location.
                  Using visual studio testsettings there is a check in the deplyment section to disable deployment, but inside MTM testsettings options there is no such option, there is only the possibility to add folders, not to disable deplyment

1,630 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Ability for TFS sprint capacity and days off for a project to be inherited by teams

For businesses where a single scrum team works on multiple projects/products per sprint, sprint planning is painful in TFS 2015.

One approach is to have a single TFS project and teams representing each product. This simplifies backlog management. However, capacity planning is still time consuming.

I would recommend capacity planning for a team has a checkbox to "Inherit capacity and days off from parent project". This would allows only having to set capacity and days off at the TFS project level without having to duplicate it at the sub-team level.

Currently TFS is not designed for single scrum teams with…

1,377 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      23 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Treat TFS as an Enterprise Symbol Server

I want my Team Foundation Server instance to be the Symbol Server for the Enterprise. Visual Studio and other debugging clients could then inherently understand when it sees a TFS URL how to locate the symbols or alternately, TFS could provide a URL that exposes symbols correctly (i.e. https://tfs.mycompany.com/tfs/DefaultCollection/Symbols). For those using the Azure-based hosted Team Foundation Service solution, it provides them a publicly-accessible (with authentication) location for Symbol Server as well.

We don't need a file share any longer if you have a TFS server! Symbols could be stored and maintained using the version control system (or some…

1,222 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        15 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • provide a way to version-control build definitions

Currently, there is no way to revert back to an old version of a Build definition once you've made changes to it.

1,206 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          51 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the new build system coming with TFS 2015 you can see the full history of the changes to your build definition. The feature that is currently missing is the ability to undo or rollback to a previous revision.

We are working on the last pieces of rollback, and we expect that it will be available in the next major version of TFS. It should become available on Team Services in the next few months.

Chris Patterson
                          Program Manager

• Customize the columns on the Task Board

- Configure columns on the task board, just as on the Kanban board
                          - allow to control what workitems should appear on a board (even if not linked to a user story/pbi)
                          - allow setting of WIP limits per column

1,016 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            59 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling users to customer their column on the task board, has been an outstanding wish for us for a long time. A year ago we were planning to pick this one up, but unfortunately we were not able to get to it because of other priorities. We have kept the state of the user voice item as Planned for a long time, as it was always on the edge of being picked up.

In our latest planning cycle, it is clear that it is still high on our list, but we won’t be able to get to it in the next 3-6 months. In a few months we will have our next planning cycle, and it will be again one of the features that we desperately want to deliver to you. I hope to have better news in a few months. Sorry.

Ewald Hofman
                            Program Manager

• Hide Work Item Types (WITs) based on permission/security group

Within a team project, you should be able to specify who is allowed to create a specific Work Item Type.

A user should only see Work Item Types in the "New Work Item" menu (Team Explorer, TEE, Team Web Access), that the user is allowed to create.

999 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              23 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Add server-side git hooks

Please add server-side git hooks. Github has this feature and it is extremely useful.

More info here: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks#Server-Side-Hooks

882 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                20 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started work to improve our Service Hooks for pull requests and to build a status API for pull requests. These features will allow teams to build external tooling that participates in the PR workflow and approval process. We don’t yet have crisp timeline for the release, but we expect this to be available before the end of summer.

Matt Mitrik
                                Program Manager

• Support calculated fields in TFS

The ability to create work item fields which are based on a calculation of the value of fields in linked work items.

For example, if a Product Backlog work item has two children Task work items which each have remaining work, it would be incredibly beneficial to have a field on the Product Backlog work item that was able to roll-up the values of these fields. That is to say that if the remaining work on the two Tasks for that Product Backlog item were 5 and 10 respectively, the Product Backlog work item could show that the sum of…

834 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  24 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Add Visual Studio Team Services to the Canadian Azure Data Region

Bring VSTS to the Canadian Azure Data Region.

Many Canadian development teams would find VSTS appealing compared to TFS due to the lower administration overhead with the hosted service, but are unwilling/unable to move to it because of regulatory or comfort-level concerns regarding storage of their team project assets outside of Canada.

By adding VSTS as a service to the Canadian Azure data region, this will alleviate Canadian data-at-rest concerns and increase usage of the service within the country.

804 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    26 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Work item control that allows a selection of multiple values

Having a multi-select control that work in VS, Web access, that is easy to query and populates the reporting cube would helpfull in many scenarios.

The current work around (ex: http://witcustomcontrols.codeplex.com/) is far from empassing all the above requirements

778 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      11 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Test Explorer is severely limited

I have to assume the people who developed the VS2012/2013 test explorer view never actually had to use it in production. The test explorer view is horribly limited in comparison to the one in VS2010.

1. Running tests does not open the Test Explorer window until after all the tests completed running. There's literally no indication that anything is happening. VS2010 immediately opened the window to show you that the tests were running.

2. Where are the columns? Most importantly: the error message column. if I'm dealing with multiple test failures, I almost always just need to see the error…

629 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        started  ·  69 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make visible the current working changeset at which the code is updated in TFS Source Control History

It could be useful to see which is the current working changeset at which the source code is updated like in SVN.
                                        For example using a bold font for the changeset line in the History

603 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add ability to hide/mask fields in a work item based on security/permissions

Currently you can make work item fields READ-ONLY for certain groups of users. We would like to have the ability to hide fields or to mask the value of the field as well based on security permissions.

For example we require our PM's, Dev's and QA's to enter time estimates for enhancements and defects. These are values that we don't want our Sales/Consulting teams and potentially End-Users from seeing.

591 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

← Previous 1 3 4 5 209 210
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base