Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

1,670 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

66 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling the ability to move projects between collections is a feature that we’re committed to delivering. Since this feature is so highly requested, I’d like to provide some additional details behind why this has been pushed out.

Simply put the issue is the cost to complete this feature. One way to think of it is that it’s XXXL in T-shirt sizing. A Team Project Collection (TPC) is a pretty rigid bounding container. It‘s the scope at which a number of “global” things exist.

One such example is change set numbers. They start at 1 and count up in each TPC. That means projects in a TPC can’t have overlapping change set numbers. It also means that if you wanted to move TFVC projects between TPCs, you have to renumber all the change sets. That’s exacerbated by a requirement that change set numbers be time ordered. That means…

• Let us create multiple collections on Visual Studio Team Services

As an organization with 25+ developers and 15+ ongoing/supported projects for several customers, we need the ability to group our team projects into different project collections.

I am sure we are not the only ones.

1,012 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Work is still ongoing for our plan to enable an Organizations experience for Team Services. We will open up a private preview in 2017 H2 for interested customers to sign up to use this feature. I will provide another update when we are close to open up the private preview.

Rajesh Ramamurthy
        Program Manager – VSTS & TFS

• Add Visual Studio Team Services to the Canadian Azure Data Region

Bring VSTS to the Canadian Azure Data Region.

Many Canadian development teams would find VSTS appealing compared to TFS due to the lower administration overhead with the hosted service, but are unwilling/unable to move to it because of regulatory or comfort-level concerns regarding storage of their team project assets outside of Canada.

By adding VSTS as a service to the Canadian Azure data region, this will alleviate Canadian data-at-rest concerns and increase usage of the service within the country.

328 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are excited to let you know that we are now working on this suggestion. We are currently in the planning process for a Canadian scale unit of Visual Studio Team Services. Thanks for your feedback, and keep an eye out here for schedule updates.

Thanks,
          Aaron Hallberg

• Change Visual Studio Team Services account region

My Visual Studio Team Services account was created in North Central US. I'd like an option to change the region, so that my data is stored closer to my users.

263 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working toward a self-service solution. In the meantime, you can change the region of your Visual Studio Team Services account by contacting customer support via the basic or premium support links on this page: https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/support/. A member of our support team will reach back out to the owner of the account to confirm the request and schedule the move.

Update: Over the past months, many customers have used this process to move their accounts from one region to another. We are continuing to work toward a self-service solution for this process, but do not have a firm schedule to share as of yet.

Thanks,
            Aaron Hallberg

• Allow Teams to work over multiple Projects (Teams at the Collection level in Visual Studio Online)

I would like to see enhanced support for Teams that work across multiple Projects or Backlogs. My initial thought is to pull the Team concept up one level so that Visual Studio Teams are created at the Collection level rather than the Project.

== Background Context ==

One of my favourite features in Visual Studio is the concept of Teams. However, we want our real world development teams to be long lived entities rather than dismembering working teams after a project and treating people as fungible resources that we pull together from the bench players. Although I love the team…

257 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make TFS more Audit Friendly

We have outside auditors come in and they want to see stuff like who gave Jerry Project admin rights and when and how long did he have it? Items like that It would be nice to find info like that. It would also be nice to be able to export all of the users of a project in the groups that they are in.

256 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Provide a backup service for Visual Studio Team Services

As a paid subscriber Microsoft does not provide a back up to Visual Studio Team Services. If a user accidentally deletes a project there is no way to recover.

196 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Export data from VS Team Services to TFS

possibility to import the data from VS Team Service into a TFS on-prem instance

153 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Mobile App for Visual Studio Online / TFS

It would be great to have a mobile app that works across platforms (iOS, Android and Windows) that would let customers work with Visual Studio Online or on-premises TFS.

The app would enable things such as backlog management on the go, the ability to see/manage builds and more.

121 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • In Team Foundation Service, allow projects to be "public", like GitHub

I really like Team Foundation Service, but I keep find I get drawn back to GitHub for Open Source projects.

I realise CodePlex already exists, but they don't have the full TFS facilities (Build etc).

I would like to see the ability to have public projects for our Open Source work.

112 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Desktop notifications with Web API notifications

Desktop notifications to alert when assign an work item, when finish a build compilation, when a member of team makes check-in, when the date of end of project is near, etc...

Desktop notifications with Web API notifications

Here an example, some like glpi web notifications

86 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow company DOMAIN integration - projects.<company.com> instead of <company>.visualstudio.com

Please update the Technologies list to include the Team Foundation Online - Visual Studio Online offering.

This request is for Visual Studio Online to offer the use of the COMPANY DOMAIN.

DOMAIN integration - projects.<company domain.com> or tfs.<company domain.com> instead of <company>.visualstudio.com

68 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Service Hooks to support on-premise HipChat

Please consider supporting events posted to on-premise HipChat. Because of legal requirements we cannot use the HipChat hosted by Atlassian.

Thanks!

63 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Work with Atlassian to add Visual Studio Online Git integration into JIRA

JIRA (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira) is an isue tracking product and service used by over 35,000 companies around the world.

The Atlassian JIRA DVCS Connector (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Use+the+JIRA+DVCS+Connector+Add-on) allows for users to easily link their JIRA instance to a Bitbucket or GitHub account. This allows for source control commits to be linked to issues and for JIRA to automate workflow based on source control.

I love using Visual Studio Online Git for my source control - but my team already has a significant investment in the JIRA toolset. It would be great if we could have this same functionality with Git…

60 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Send backup notification to non TFS Admin users

In my environment, the TFS Admin users don't have mailboxes. I'm probably not the only one, since Admin accounts should only be used for Administrative tasks. In the Scheduled Backups I can only configure that TFS Admin users receive notifications if a backup fails or succeeds. Not a regular (mail enabled) user.
                                It would be very nice if I could select different users for receiving backup alerts. Now I have to use a scheduled script that sends the Full_... log every day to me...

60 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make it possible to disable Team Project

It is possible to stop a team project collection from the TFS Administration console, however there is no functionality to stop a Team Project.

My enterprise follows a code freeze policy, during this time we would like to disable the team project completely, no changes to work items, code base, etc. The work around is changing the user group permissions, but that would mean changing the project meta, while ideally you do not want to do this when you are managing over 200 team projects.

Appreciate if there any work around that I might have missed...

47 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Create a TFS App for the iPad and iPhone

TFS is the most user and dev. friendly tool to view & manage work items. As someone who travels very frequently, I would appreciate if there was a native iPad (and iPhone, but must leverage iPad screen size) App which I could use. Don't know if other dev managers face the same issue.

34 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 29 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • 26 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Better collaboration support between customer and vendor via internet

TFS seems to assume that all parties that want to collaborate are on the same network.

We want our customers to be able to raise defects, feature requests, view progress reports etc

Issues we currently face with TFS 2010.

1. Our customers are not on our internal AD and will never be although we would be happy to set up accounts for them in alternate identity store.
                                          2. There does not seem to be a lot of info about exposing TFS to the internet.

I would like to see better support for this scenario. The authentication story at the moment…

26 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base