Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Azure DevOps Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Azure DevOps teams

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. TFS 2015 up3 vNext - erroneous "Filename doesn't indicate a full path to a executable file' error

When running a BAT or ps1 file and specifying the full path you get an error if the path includes "my path with spaces" which say you got from a "copy as path" command.
    The script STILL runs but produces the warning.
    The "fix" is not to have quotes which is not obvious.
    This is also referenced in https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1855910/-command-line-task-doesnt-find-copy-or-del-commands

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. see the live logs of the build/release steps when it is currently executing

I have added PowerShell scripts in my 2015(vNext) Build definitions and Releases. But I am not able to see the live logs of the build/release steps when it is currently executing. But logs are available once the step is completed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. vNext builds does not allow mapping across Team projects

XAML builds allowed mapping source across Team projects, this is not available in vNext builds. This is important if you have some common build code in one project and reference it from another team project

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Select file directly in VSTS/tfs vnext build with external git

We can select file directly if we are using Git or GitHub repository type.

For example: add Nuget restore or Build solution step, we can select solution file by click .... button.

But, there isn't that feature in VSTS/TFS vnext build with external git, please include it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow the ability to trigger a build when a deployment "fails".

Allow the ability to trigger a build when a deployment "fails". I have a scenario where the build for restoring a database needs to be triggered when the deployment of an application fails. This is to ensure that the team has a working database and are not left crippled because of the failed deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Windows Media Player Assembly Support on Visual Studio Team Service

I have a project using Windows Media Player Assembly , AxInterop.WMPLib , Interop.WMPLib.

Now I'm trying that project to apply VSTS CI build , but it seems that assembly not installed on VSTS Hosted environment.

Is it possible to activate Windows Media Player Capability on VSTS Hosted environment ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Label (tag) Git commits only for builds on specific branches

Right now it's possible to label (tag) a commit in a Git repo, when a build finishes. For me, those labels are only relevant for the master and the dev branches.

It would be great if you can prevent tagging in other branches than a specified list (or regex). This would reduce the number of tags.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. push enable status update on time bar in builds and push update releases screen

On the builds screen the build time taken bar doesn't refresh unless you refresh the page. It should periodically push an update and the bar should update automatically like the rest of the screen does when new builds start etc.

Similarly, on the releases screen it should push everything instead of requiring a refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Option to publish Task Groups into reusable Marketplace plugins

We make Task Groups for EVERYTHING. We use them so much because they make it easier to use the same builds steps within the same code-base for multiple environments (with some variable modifications), are useful for other reuse scenarios, and they also make it easier to do common GENERAL tasks that almost anyone could use. This last thing (GENERAL reuse for almost anyone) is where we realized that our Task Groups could just become Marketplace plugins for the community to just freely use. Having an option to publish these for others would be great. Along with that, having the option…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. pull request buildid

In Pull Request, You can use tags like @ for people, # for workitems, and ! for other Pull Request. However, there isn't one for BuildID?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CurrentIteration as a build variable

My iterations are already numbered 1.3, 1.4 etc, but I have to duplicate and change this information in the build definition so that the version number aligns to the sprint

Please have $(CurrentIteration) as an in-built variable so I don't have to keep changing the build definition

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow triggering a release from a completed PR and gated build without having to re run the build.

When using a gated build to approve a PR, once the PR is approved, I would like to trigger a release that uses the artifacts from the gated build instead of running a new build just to generate the artifacts.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Publish and maintain Complete Schema documentation for VSTS Extensions

I have not been able to find complete schema definitions for the json files required in a custom build task.

There are pockets of limited information but they mostly pertain to trivial and contrived solutions.

Having complete schema references with complete information would allow me to finish my extension without the need to do a lot of trial an error work.

I can't believe this information doesn't exist somewhere already.

Thank you

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. move builds

Move builds from one TFS to another TFS.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 34 35 36 38 Next →

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base