Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: Last fall, we migrated this forum to Developer Community to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. As the final step in the migration, this forum will be closed off completely on June 1st, 2019. We encourage you to visit Azure DevOps Developer Community where you can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas, and engage with Azure DevOps teams

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unity build support

Please consider supporting Unity builds on hosted agents.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Rerun failed build for pull request

A build made to validate a pull request can fail for various reasons that are nothing to do with the changes in the pull request. For example the build script was wrong or some transient issue. At the moment there is no way to rerun the build in a way that is linked to the pull request. One has to make a new commit to the pull request.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Support for OpenCover

Please add support for OpenCover (https://github.com/OpenCover/opencover) in "Publish Code Coverage Results" build step.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. TFS build notification for change in build status

Provide a notification (alert) when the TFS build status *changes*, i.e. the last build was successful but this one failed, or the last one failed but this one was successful.

Currently I can receive notifications when a build fails or when a build completes. But I don’t really care about any builds that aren't mine except when the status changes, i.e. I don’t care if it fails once or ten times while the team is trying to correct the issue. But I do care when the build is working again. Likewise, as long as the build is working I don't…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow to select more than one build definition to queue when create/update PR

Today, it is just possible to select one build definition to queue when a pr is created or updated. Maybe this is ok for a web project, but for a mobile project I wanted to queue ios and android build definition.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Start a build agent using a task

We have setup our own build agent cause we needed to have access to our private network during the build.
    This agent is hosted on a cloud provider and is up 24/24 7/7. Which is a waste of money as we needed only during office hour, and only for a short period of time (multiple time a day).
    It would be great if we could start it before the build and shutdown it at the end of the build.
    An easy to do that would have to setup a task. But a task need an agent to run... We could…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Delete shelveset after success build

In gated check-in make possible (maybe with an input prompt like a checkbox) to automatically delete the shelveset after a successful build

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Update Azure PowerShell on host agents of Visual Studio Online

Why dont you have latest version of Azure Power Shell on Visual Studio Online host agents? How can I control the version ?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable splitting out tasks from task group

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365833/enable-splitting-out-tasks-from-task-group.html
    It would be really useful in build and release management if task groups can be split out into their component tasks again. Would help in the situation where you want to take a task group as a starting point for a new definition but tweak the tasks, add new ones etc. This is easier to use and test within the build definition than in the task group editor.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make it possible to change the value of a variable in a variable group

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365829/make-it-possible-to-change-the-value-of-a-variable.html
    For reasons not to be discussed here, I need to have two build definitions that should share the same build number.
    I thought to use a variable group based variable for this, but I can't properly persist it.
    I'm using a PowerShell script to assign a new value to the variable, with the regular "Write-Host "##vso[task.setvariable variable=" syntax, but the value is only persisted for the current build. Once I re-run the same build def. or try to access the variable from a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Specify queue builds order if there has multiple CI builds are triggered by the same code

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365775/specify-queue-builds-order-if-there-has-multiple-c.html
    If there have multiple CI builds triggered by changes are pushed to the same code, can we specify the queue order?

It will be very useful if VSTS build has this feature.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support Git "***no-ci***" for pull request builds

When commiting with a message containing the keyword "***no-ci***", the trigger if the build definition is skipped

However, if there the branch is in a pull request, then there is no way to skip the build.
    It would be great if the Pull Request build would apply the no-ci keyword and be able to skip the build

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sending A Build Success Notification After A Build Failed Notification

I would like it if TFS had the ability to send out a build success notification to all developers only if the previous build had failed.

The notification templates that are built in, do not seem to have this functionality which I believe is available in Jenkins

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Configurable icon for task group

It would be useful to be able to change the icon for Task Groups. My build definitions nowadays consist of lots of task groups, and having the same icon on all steps kind of makes the icon redundant.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please add REST-API for vnext builds to get agent status

Please add REST-API for vnext builds to get agent status

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Grouping build tasks in folders

In the current version, a build definition contains a list of build tasks. it'll be a good idea to group tasks in folders for better readability

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add intellisense to TFS build definitions

When editing build definitions in TFS 2015 it would be very useful to have intellisense when using build variables.

In the example screenshot I would expect to see all the properties for the Build variable such as SourcesDirectory, StagingDirectory etc.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. TFS Build 2015: Support build failure conditions

Add the possibility to define conditions when a build should fail. Possible conditions can be non-zero exit code, drop size changes about a certain amount, duration changes about a certain amount, number of code analysis warnings have changed, code coverage has changed, etc

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide option to "Disable" the Build/Release Definition in TFS/VSTS

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365947/provide-option-to-disable-the-buildrelease-definit.html
    Currently we don't have any option to disable the build/release definitions temporarily and leads to trigger the builds accidentally by developers which we don't want. We can recreate the build definition by deleting it but it not a good idea in this situation.
    Can you please provide an option to disable the build/release definition, and make it like the build should not be triggered by anyone until it is enabled by the administrator.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base