Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 204 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

14 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The On-Premises (TFS) version of the Analytics Marketplace Extension is in development and we are fully committed to delivering on it but do not have any timelines to share at this point.

The Analytics Service is the backend for a suite of new features we are very excited about including new Dashboard Widgets and Power BI Desktop Connector.

Thank you,
      Josh Zimmerman

• Dark Theme for VSTS and TFS Web Portal

Many of Microsoft's products, including Office and Visual Studio, support a dark theme which is easier on the eyes. However, for some reason, VSTS and the TFS Web Portal do not have a dark theme.

At my workplace, we do our peer review through the web portal, so I spend many long hours staring at the bright white backgrounds. It would be amazing for my poor burnt eyes if we could get a dark theme. I'm sure many others agree.

203 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Single Dashboard for Multiple Projects

Currently TFS has dashboard for each project. However a user can have entitlements to multiple projects. So the user has to go inside each project to see project dashboard and view charts.

The proposal is to have a SINGLE dashboard that allows viewing multiple projects view on a single page. Widgets from projects can be pinned on this new dashboard.

This will be very handy for program level initiatives where a program has multiple projects being worked upon.

163 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow Team Web Access Charts to Group by Tags

Specifically with the Scrum process template, there is no place to do root cause analysis, so the natural candidate is to use Tags, this avoids having to customise the process template. The problem is that I cannot produce a work item query "chart" that will allow me to "Group by" the tag. While I appreciate that this might be a challenge with the nature of the pseudo managed field, it would be really useful.

143 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Localization support for Team Services

We have a number of clients consistently requesting VSTS be localized to be available in other languages, in particular French. is localization of VSTS on the product backlog? I have a client in particular that wants to grow the VSTS users from 100 to approx. 500 but is hesitating due to it not being avail in French.

128 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enable reporting with Visual Studio Online

It would be great to have access to the reporting capabilities in the Warehouse and the Cube to enhance the analysis capabilities with VSO. Especially around testing and other such capabilities we would really benefit from having some degree of reporting access (even if it was just against SQL Azure and didn't provide cube access)

122 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to announce that the Analytics Marketplace extension is now available for VSTS and provides a set of three new Dashboard Widgets (CFD, Cycle Time, Lead Time).

We are continuing work on the On-Premises (TFS) version is in development and we are fully committed to delivering on it.

The Analytics Marketplace extension will provide a suite of new features we are very excited about including new Dashboard Widgets, Power BI connectors.

Josh Zimmerman
              • Add a report that shows the age of pending changes

This would show which files are currently checked out and how long they have been checked out. Would improve transparency within teams to see how long developers are going without checking in code.

97 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Copy dashobaords between team projects or have dashboard templates

We have multiple projects that should follow the same dashboards, copying them would be easier than replicating them by hand for each project.

84 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • In capacity planner, allow entry of partial days for time off by user and for holidays

We allow people to take half days off, and certain days (like Christmas Eve) are only half days, but there is no way to enter that directly. You can use an overall capacity percentage to get something approximately right, but it messes up the day-by-day burndown that nicely adjusts for time off.

This suggestion is to just modify the current planner to add this capability. We would combine this with the other suggestion to allow exclusion of weekends and holidays from the burndown. There is another suggestion that is a little broader to allow entry for any day of capacity…

68 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Make Reporting in TFS Fast and Fluid

Make Reporting in TFS Fast and Fluid

Using Analysis Services and Reporting Services may have seemed like a good idea back in 2003 when you first started designing TFS 2005, however in 2012 these technologies are archaic and difficult to use.

Throw out SSRS and SSAS, heck in TFS 2012 in the new Web Access the team already created a new reporting system for burndowns and for the kanban reports.

Now for TFS 2015 it's time to make reporting EASY for non developers, EASY for managers, and fast and fluid for general end users to design and change.

Look at…

54 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Cross Project user dashboard feature for TFS 2012

I love the Team project dashboard in 2012, but I still need a view thats purely user focused as well. I should have my own dashboard where i can see all of my active backlogs, task, bugs, etc at a glance. I understand that i can build a my own query that will list this, however that query is still stored in whatever team project i created it in. We need some global functionality that supersedes the team project container.

42 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Optionally turn off Drag and drop reordering on backlog board

It makes our Product Owners very unhappy that the backlog priority changes when Dev Team drags PBIs between columns in backlog board. It should be configurable per board whether the drag-drop -reordering changes when you move cards from column to another.

When you move cards WITHIN a column, it should be possible to reprioritize but not when moving BETWEEN columns.

37 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Allow the ability to create personal dashboards

While it's nice to see team overviews and dashboards that are set up by the team admins, it would be nice for a user to create their own personal dashboard that cannot be seen by other members in a team.

37 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make a summary of Working day in TFS Online on WebSite

There should be a page in TFS Online where you can see what was done in a day. Right now you need to check source, then click History, and click for every CheckIn and see the details. I'd like to have a view that can be very long to scroll yet agregates all changes as well shows which changes are linked to wich WorkItems and how they change their attributes (like remaining work time).
                              Also I'd like to have a summery of who, how much checks-In in terms of tasks, lines of code, and number of files affected. This should…

36 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change Burndown chart axis to show progress on the first day

The burndown chart does not convey the correct progress information on the first day. This is particularly noticeable if you use a 1 week sprint (Mon-Fri) and the work completed on Monday doesn't appear until Tues. This seems to be because the first day (Monday) is right at the origin of the axis and so there are only divisions for 5 working days. Setting the sprint to start on a Sunday shows the information but makes it look like the work has been done on a Sunday (see images attached).

34 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Embed Dashboard Widgets outside of VSTS / TFS

Would like the ability to embed a TFS widget in a non-TFS web location (i.e. internal SharePoint wiki, Confluence, 3rd party wiki, static HTML page, etc.).

While I like the customization of the TFS dashboards (as of TFS 2015.1), it still requires stakeholders to visit the individual team/project dashboard.

By allowing embedding of TFS widgets into other web-based locations, I have more flexibility to include additional context to stakeholders while leveraging the dynamic capabilities of the TFS widgets.

Thanks,
                                  Matt

31 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow reporting on custom fields in Power BI

Please allow the ability to report on VSTS custom fields in Power BI.

The 'Customize a field for a process' describes that this isn't currently possible:

"Once you've added a custom field, you can create queries or charts to track data related to it. Note, however, that you can't access custom field data from Power BI reports."

30 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Implementing security alerts for dependencies

It would be great to have monitoring for security vulnerabilities in project dependencies like GitHub does. Ref: https://github.com/blog/2470-introducing-security-alerts-on-github

29 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add a nice way to Archive TFS Projects

In VSS, there was a simple feature to be able to archive projects. Such a capability is not available today in TFS. To do this, you can either create a project designated as archived that you then have to assign permissions to and so on or move the project into another collection using the TFS Integration Toolkit or some other such work intensive methods that one can think up as a solution. There is not an easy way to archive a project or user friendly method to easily do this. It would be nice to be able to archive a…

28 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add trend chart support for tag-based queries

Trend charts are really useful to track progress against backlogs and bug counts on the home page. It would be great to extend this functionality so trend charts could be built based on tagged work items, for instance to show an overall trend of technical debt stories in a product. Currently when this is attempted the chart pane contains the error message: "Work item trend charts do not support queries conditional on Tag state"

27 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base