Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Upstream Sources in NuGet Package Management Feeds

Add support for upstream sources to (NuGet) Package Management feeds. We use NuGet packages and want to cache NuGet.org packages locally in on premises TFS so that we don't risk losing those packages.

35 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add Support For PYPI Packages Using PIP

Skype & I believe other Microsoft teams heavily rely on Python for Build orchestration, testing, data analysis, and other functions. We would like to use PYPI packages natively through PIP, rather than having to ingest them in to Git repos to consume them.

It would be great if VSTS could support PYPI packages through PIP clients https://pypi.python.org/pypi.

29 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the next 6 months, we won’t be taking new package formats, as we’re finishing Maven and planning major improvements to our existing NuGet and npm support and new features to improve the package lifecycle, like Package CI and Package CD for better Team Build and RM integration.

However, we’re very interested in your input to define the next wave of package formats that are supported by Package Management so that we can inform our next major planning wave. So, we’ve left all “Ecosystem”-tagged requests open for voting.

Alex Mullans
        Program Manager, Package Management for Visual Studio Team Services

• VSTS Package Feed Metrics

Is there any dashboard for statistics of the nuget packages hosted in VSTS package feeds ?

e.g. nuget.org shows that Microsoft ASP.NET Web API 2.2 5.2.3 has :

- 11,473,955 Downloads
        - 2,910,541 Downloads of v 5.2.3
        - 7,518 Average downloads per days

25 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Component Governance (mirroring feeds, white/blacklisting packages, etc.)

[Alex Mullans - Microsoft] I've broadened this suggestion to cover the overall investment area that we call "Component Governance", which includes a set of features to help you manage security, legal, and other risks in the external and OSS components you use.

For package and version curating like:
          ProGet Connectors:
          http://inedo.com/support/documentation/proget/core-concepts/connectors

Feed Sync in MyGet:
          http://myget.org/features#advancedfeatures

Klondike Mirror
          https://github.com/themotleyfool/Klondike/blob/master/src/Klondike.WebHost/Settings.config

21 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We’re very interested in features like this that fall into the category of “Component Governance” (CG). We don’t have any CG investments on the roadmap for next 6 months, but I’ve left this suggestion in review so you can vote and influence our next planning cycle.

Alex Mullans

• prerelease field for nuget packager

The NuGet packager has an option to "Use Build number to version Package". Could we have an additional field which will append a suffix to the resultant version number allowing for PreRelease packages too. e.g. 1.2.3.4-alpha, 1.2.3.4-beta.
            That way we can have various configurations producing different packages. i.e. Debug build = prerelease and release build = release.

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Support for Chocolatey Packages

To use as a true internal Package Manager I want to be able to support all kinds of "Microsoft" based packages. In this case Chocolatey

14 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

For the next 6 months, we won’t be taking new package formats, as we’re finishing Maven and planning major improvements to our existing NuGet and npm support and new features to improve the package lifecycle, like Package CI and Package CD for better Team Build and RM integration.

However, we’re very interested in your input to define the next wave of package formats that are supported by Package Management so that we can inform our next major planning wave. So, we’ve left all “Ecosystem”-tagged requests open for voting.

Alex Mullans

• Add PowerShellGet support for PackageManagement

Supporting PowerShellGet would allow us to write the following in PowerShell.

Install-Module -Name "My.VSTS.Module"

By allowing VSTS to support PowerShellGet, our company can then build our own "internal PowerShellGallery" to share PowerShell scripts across the company.

13 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex Mullans

• Add support for conda packages

It would be useful if the package management solution supported conda packages: http://conda.pydata.org/docs/ as this is widely used within python development

12 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex Mullans

• Show icons for packages in the Visual Studio NuGet Package Manager

Currently, package icons are not shown when browsing a Package Management feed in Visual Studio's NuGet Package Manager Extension.

12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reactivating this by popular demand. We have better infrastructure in place now to help us implement this feature, but don’t have the work scheduled yet. Help us prioritize by adding your votes here :).

Alex Mullans

• Add Bower Support

Add support for Bower to manage frontend web packages.

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex Mullans

• Visual Studio Extensions (vsix) support in the VSO Package Manager

It would be nice if there was support for private/company vsix packages in the package management solution for vso. For example: We have a bunch of snippets that we share internally, but would be meaningless to the world if we published it publicly.

9 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex Mullans

• Allow me to contact the consumers of my Package feeds

Once I create a package feed in my organization, people outside of my immediate team will start to use the packages we create. It would be great to have that information, so that if I need to update the packages in a breaking way, delete older packages that are out of service, or change the location of the feed itself I can communicate that to my dependants.

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Dependency Management integration with TFS & Team Build

TFS 2010 currently does not provide dependency management features as are offered by Maven or AIT dependency manager extension such as the following:

• Superior dependency management including automatic updating, dependency closures (also known as transitive dependencies)
                            • Dependency management: Maven encourages the use of a central repository of JARs and other dependencies. Maven comes with a mechanism that your project's clients can use to download any JARs required for building your project from a central JAR repository much like Perl's CPAN. This allows users of Maven to reuse JARs across projects and encourages communication between projects to ensure that…

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We definitely think there’s room to grow in the dependency management space. Our thoughts are still nascent here, but it’s likely that we’ll begin to invest in features like this item describes.

Alex Mullans
                              Program Manager, Package Management for Team Services

• NuGet Packager: Load major/minor/patch version number from nuspec

In NuGet Packager I like the option to use 'Automatic package versioning', but I don't like how it requires that I enter a Major, Minor, and Patch version numbers directly into the task. Instead, I would like it to use the Major, Minor, and Patch version numbers **from the nuspec file** and simply postfix the generated package version number. That way I can change the version number in one spot, in code, instead of remembering to change it in two places (code & build).

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Gem Package Management

Add the ability to manage Gem files and other supporting file formats that the ELK stack uses.

5 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

For the next few months, we won’t be taking new package formats, as we’re finishing Maven and planning major improvements to our existing NuGet and npm support and new features to improve the package lifecycle, like Package CI and Package CD for better Team Build and RM integration.
                                  Alex Mullans

• Ability send notifications when packages are added or updated

I would like to get a notification (to any of the notification channels, e-mail, teams, slack, etc.) whenever a package has been added or updated to Package Management.

4 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support for Cocoapods

Recently we had to explore ideas how to share our binaries from VSTS. As it's not a problem for source files to use :git notation with VSTS repository, it becomes an issue when you have to share compiled binaries. This can be approached by droping binaries to artifactory, linking to the URL with :http notation inside Podfile and specifing PAT in .netrc file (:http uses curl to fetch package). Still, this solution is not ideal and would be great to have Cocoapods packaging in place.

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Alex Mullans

• service hook event for package publish

Please implement a service hook event for package publish.
                                        For my usecase, I wish to run a script after a new package was published into my vsts registry.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Smart sort search results for Package Feeds

We've got a very large feed, as all of our packages live in one feed. There are several improvements I think that could be made to the search box of package management, however the main 2 I'd like to see are:

1. When searching for a generic term we smart sort the search results grouping by protocol
                                          2. Enable something akin to code search functionality in VSTS where I can specify protocol, so the results don't even include irrelevant protocols

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base