Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement AD FS for TFS

Our organisation policy does not allow us to use TFS Online / visualstudio.com. For on-premises TFS instances, ADFS is not supported at the moment. I'm hoping a future update will incorporate the ADFS bits for TFS Online in the on-prem version as well. That would open up some authentication schemes we'd like to use.

177 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

19 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Visualize the rights of a user/group on all different aspects of a Team Project

You can set rights in TFS on a lot of different levels. On Team Project, Area/ Iteration/ Team Queries, Source Control/ Folders/ Files, Builds / Reports / SharePoint. Especially in TFS with different TFS groups that sometimes contain the same users/groups, it is hard to see why a user has a specific right or is not allowed to do something. At the moment it is hard to find this without checking everything manually.

118 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • FIPS

Use FIPS compliant algorithms if FIPS policy enforcement is enabled on the server. Department of Defense Security Technical Implementation Guides require that FIPS policy is enforced: http://www.stigviewer.com/stig/microsoft_dot_net_framework_4.0/2014-01-08/finding/V-30926

This applies to all US Department of Defense. It is understood that MD5 is much faster and might not even be used for security reasons (i.e. using MD5 to generate a hash to determine file differences on version control check in). However if FIPS is enabled, why not use a FIPS compliant algorithm?

It is much better to experience some degredation in performance when FIPS policy is enabled than to occasionally swallow exceptions…

46 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Separate Test Suite Permissions - I would like to see Modify and Delete as separate permissions in TFS

with TFS update 3 Test Suite permissions were added which is a good step in the right direction. I would like to see a step further. Separate the Create, Read, Update and Delete Permissions. In my situation i want Feature owners in QA to be able to create their own test suites and add or modify tests, but i do not want them to be able to delete. The deleting of suites or tests within suites needs to be reserved to management. I would like the ability to allow read to groups outside of QA. The Audit helps us trace…

45 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow a user to remove them self from a Visual Studio Online account that they are not the administrator of

I found an old post to see that other people are having this issue
            https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/809773/visual-studio-online-cannot-remove-self-from-someone-elses-account

I myself am an instructor and students don't always remove me from their own accounts when they are finished with a class. Also, since you can add anybody by their Microsoft account it would be a nice feature to have if you get added to another person's account by mistake.

30 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Support for Active Directory Group Managed Service Accounts.

I don't know how we have gotten TFS 2015 to RTM without including support for Active Directory gMSA (Group Managed Service Accounts) for the basic installation and operation of the services associated with TFS. The gMSA concept has been well accepted for awhile now and most other MS software that TFS relies on can leverage them (SQL Server, IIS, etc). So why hasn't support for them been added to TFS?!?

27 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Team level access

Multiple teams can be configured in a project. Allow users to be restricted to teams, limiting access to the other teams and their areas.
                Members can already be specified per team, but users can still see and access other teams on the same project.

A lot of experts suggest using one project due to the inter-decencies between work and code and therefore we and a lot of development teams use one project.
                Allowing stakeholders to only access one specific teams are very important.

Also see: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/suggestions/2266453-hide-area-and-iteration-names-users-don-t-have-per

27 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow more permission management on stakeholders

I would like to be able to manage what stakeholders can and cannot view/access with a higher granularity.
                  Specifically, I would like to be able to block a stakeholder from accessing the "Users" area or, at least, don't let them see other users who do not belong to the same projects as them.

24 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • LiveID aliases

When one user authorizes another to their TFS or VSO project, they do so by email address. But if the address they specify is a secondary alias on my LiveID, the authorization does not work. It only works if the address is my primary Alias. If the alias is "confirmed" through my LiveID (msAccount), then authorization should work.

22 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow users to choose which Live ID Service account they want to use. I signed up and it took the wrong one!

TFS online signup seems to just grab the first live ID it finds. I actually wanted to sign up with a different one!

18 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Set branch security by REST API

For git branch security, we can set access control (such as set force push as deny) manually by selecting a git branch, and clicking Branch security. It will be better if we can set branch security by REST API.

16 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Avoid that users can see all other users in VSTS

If we invite a client as stakeholder, he can see all users with their email addresses,
                          So that could be competitors.
                          We don't want our customers to see what other customers we work for. Some might be restricted/private.

15 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Extend Read Only TFS Users to read/edit all work items (or sell new type of CAL)

Hi,

This is more of a request than a question. Our developers are using TFS (all have MSDN), but in order for the whole company to adopt TFS we need other departments such as customer support and QA to be able to view, create and edit Work Items.

At the moment you only allow non-TFS users to create new items and view only items they have created. This is extremely limiting and means that we need a massive number of CALS for TFS which cost $499 each. It is a crazy cost for a user only accessing work items. These…

14 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Identity control must take valid values into account

The new Identity control in TFS 2015 makes use of MRU list and a Search option. However, that allows to select identities which are not allowed. You may select e.g. users who have left (so no roles any more, only present in Valid Users list), or users in same collection but not present in current project.
                              Only after selection the feedback (by yellow background) is given.

This happens on the work item dialogs. Direct editing on the boards still supply the possible/valid users to select from.

14 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Wiki - Per Page/article Permissions

Be able to manage permissions per page or setup separate areas/workspaces that could be restricted from specific permission groups.

For example: if we had a "management" page/area that other users shouldn't be able to read.

9 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Disallow the addition of users by Team Project Administrators

Currently, the only way to disallow Team Project Administrators to add or otherwise manage users for a team project is to remove the “Edit Project-level information” permission however Denying this permission also disallows the following operations:

o Create and modify areas and iterations
                                  o Edit check-in policies
                                  o Edit shared work item queries
                                  o Edit project-level permission ACLs
                                  o Create and modify global lists
                                  o Edit event subscriptions (email or SOAP) on project-level events.

There is currently no method within the product itself to allow these other capabilities while denying the ability to Add or modify users.

For efficient licensing…

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Better UI exprence with expired PATs

On the "https://{sitename}.visualstudio.com/_details/security/tokens" page if you are frequently using short lived tokens then this can lead to a cluttered list of expired tokens with no simple way to clean it up.

When working with Azure's integration with VSTS it frequently makes tokens that have a 90 day lifespan, over time this can cause a large list of expired tokens to build up and is slow to clean up because there is no good way to mass delete expired tokens

I suggest, similar to the "Show/Hide Revoked Tokens" button, there be a 2nd button for "Show/Hide Expired Tokens".

Another…

7 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Add Policy to enforce Multi-Factor Authentication

We have some Continuous Deployment configured with VSTS. This enables an attacker with the stolen credentials of a developer to push Code to the Production environment. Therefore, we enabled MFA for all Developers. We like to have a Setting that enforces this Policy, so we are sure nobody is forgotten and new Users with Contribute Permissions will have enabled MFA.
                                      Users that only manage Bugs should have not have to enabled MFA.

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Service Hook Permissions more flexible

service hook

Allow a permission level to assign users to be able to modify the service hooks. We often have user's who currently do not have permission level high enough to edit the service hooks for the project, nor do we want to give them the permission level that is that high. We would like to be able to assign the ability to modify service hooks to users at a lower permission level. Currently there is no permission level we can just toggle to allow these users to be able to add their own service hooks for their projects, thus…

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Team Permissions

I need to restrict others team members not to access my team, now we could only restrict from Areas to avoid others. Could there's be a permission like "Edit/View team level permisssion".

6 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base