Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to Enable/Disable Deployment inside Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) TestSettings as in the local TestSettings

I need to run test inside MTM, and I need to add a TestSettings configuration to configure some options, but I need to disable deplyment as I need to run test in the build location.
    Using visual studio testsettings there is a check in the deplyment section to disable deployment, but inside MTM testsettings options there is no such option, there is only the possibility to add folders, not to disable deplyment

559 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add the ability to use the same shared step multiple times with different parameters in the same iteration

At present you can use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration, however, you can only use it with the same parameter values.

It would be extremely useful from a test case design perspective if you could use a shared step multiple times in the same iteration with different parameter values each time the shared step is used.

97 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• support parameters for radio buttons and checkboxes in MTM

I can use parameters while creating action recording and playback for text fields and drop down elements. This does not work for check boxes or radio buttons (For example, if I create a parameter with value "Yes" and use that for a check box, the binding does not work)

94 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Allow MTM to record assertions

QA can currently record actions that can be made into Coded UI tests.

But they can't record "assertions".

This seems odd because they are visually asserting already.

The assertion dialog for MTM could be much simpler than in Visual Studio. 99% of all assertions come from the "Display Value" field. Just make that the only one that MTM uses.

This allows the QA role to create much better actions that can then translate into Coded UI tests.

86 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Offline test Execution: Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS)

Allow users to execute test cases in an offline manner (when not connected to TFS).

Steps:
            1. Ability to export test cases & steps to Excel (when in office & connected to TFS)
            2. Perform Test execution by marking tests/test steps pass/fail in the Excel file, while adding comments (when not in office & not connected to TFS)
            3. Import test results from Excel into TFS (when in office & connected to TFS)

63 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now have an extension (in Preview) on Marketplace for this scenario:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-devlabs.OfflineTestExecution

This currently works with Visual Studio Team Services & support for Team Foundation Server will be coming soon.

Please let us know your feedback about this extension.

We will wait for few weeks for feedback before marking this item as Completed.

Thanks
              -Ravi Shanker

• enable changing the order of test cases on the web gui and let them be tested in this order for automated tests

To create an order for automated tests, Ordered tests have been the recommended way. However, users have requested automated tests to follow the same order as defined in MTM or the equivalent in Web (for non parallel 1 machine run). Opening this Uservoice item to see how many users would be interested in this functionality.

53 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support querying for "all test cases in a specifed test plan" a.k.a add work item links between test plans, test suites and test cases

Since TFS 2013 Update 3 test plans and test suites are regular work items, but there are of no practical use in work item queries, as there are no links between them and test cases.

With the links, I could create a query to list all test cases in a specified test plan. In Test hub or MTM I can export such list to email or print to PDF, but there is no way to get it in Excel format, which would I get for free if I could query.

Currently, TFS supports the reverse, listing all test plans a…

50 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Support jMeter 3.0

Please upgrade support for jMeter load tests to support the latest version.

Right now, the supported version for jMeter test scripts in Visual Studio Online is v2.13 (c.f. https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/test/performance-testing/getting-started/get-started-jmeter-test#jmeter-tests).

Version 3.0 came out on 2016-05-17.

Running a simple test made with a local installation of version 3.0 caused the following error online:
                  [JMeterExecution] - jmeter.JMeter: Error in NonGUIDriver java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Problem loading XML from:'C:\0\td\d02dc\TestRun\Out\SamplePresentation.jmx', conversion error com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: JSONPostProcessor : JSONPostProcessor

43 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Full Support for SpecFlow within Microsoft Test Manager

Currently integration seems limited with BDD style tools (SpecFlow) in particular. Can we have the ability to automate unit tests written in the BDD style so we can make the full use of Microsoft Test Manager.

We use Microsoft for the whole ALM stack and this is really the only bit that makes us truly automated.

Requirement would be to be able to associate specflow unit tests within MTM and be able to kick off runs against different browsers via use of Lab Manager or otherwise (like the current MS Test functionality does).

39 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable UI Map Hierarchy editing in Coded UI Test Editor

The Coded UI Test Editor introduce in Visual Studio Feature Pack 2 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg269474.aspx) has great potential. Many times when recording control, the heirarchy created to represent nested control sometimes gets constructed incorrectly. For example, I may have nested UI structure like A->B->C->D and wish to interact with D. Many times the constructed UI Map will be lobotomized and only contain B->C->D or C->D when creating an interaction with D. What is odd about this is that Microsoft's UI Spy tool contained in the Windows SDK always gets the proper hierarchy. My suggestion is two-fold. Employ the UI Map…

39 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Ewald Hofman

• Allow for query of the test case's outcome in TFS

It would be great to be able to see the results of each individual test case in a list for a custom selection using the query tool inside TFS. Currently, in TFS 2015 you can only view the pass/fail status per test suite and not per test case.

Please make the outcome field for the test cases available for queries based on the last outcome.

38 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add option to stop QTAgent by the Test Agent if for example 5 minutes no test is run

If some test for some reason doesn't cleanup its playback(Playback.CleanUp()) the Test Agent which run the test becomes unusable until its restarted or QTAgent is killed. In Visual Studio 2010 there is an option "Keep test execution engine running between runs" it will be very useful if its possible to set this on the Test Agents or Test Controllers.

38 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Ewald Hofman

• Multi-monitor support for MTM Video Recording

Currently it is very unpredictable which monitor will be recorded when using the video recording feature. It is very easy to record sensitive information such as the testers personal email.

By default it should only record the monitor that test runner is on but this should be configurable incase testers use a different monitor for the Application Under Test

Ideally it should be more obvious which monitor is being recorded. A slight red glow around the monitor in question when recording would be nice.

33 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ewald Hofman

• Choosing a new UIMap when you create a Coded UI Test from existing test recording

It will be a better feature to choose a different UIMap when you create a coded UI test from an existing recording or Test and Lab manager. Currently, you have to edit the UIMap to move some code in another UIMap and it's not very funny !

30 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Ewald Hofman

• Alert for failed Unit Test Runs

in TFS 2015.2 there’s still a big gap in alerting about unit test runs.
                                It is absolutely not possible to inform only a single person or a single development team about unit test runs which let the build result only “partially”. If you have more than 30 different unit test runs from different development teams configured to be executed with the build it is very impractical to inform just the right people/team.

Why there's no ability to create a default alert like "a Unit Test Run failed for the x time”?

29 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow using of ## characters in MTM Lab Management for unique VM names

Using of "ComputerName-##" pattern in SCVMM OS template lets increment part of VM name while it creating to provide unique names, but Test Manager doesn't recognize ##-characters like it does with '*' symbol and returns an error "Computer name conflict" when I try add new environment with several machines. When I set the "Computer Name" in the SCVMM template to * , computer name automatic generating becomes enabled, but I don't want to flood my network with machines named utter gibberish. Trying to use a blank name prevents me from saving the template.So, let's allow MTM using of ## characters…

29 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 28 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Give the ability copy test packs without links to original test pack or to delete a test plan in MTM

Problem
                                      - Test Pack A is stored under Test Plan A within MTM.
                                      - I want to create a clean copy of Test Pack A in Test Plan B (with no links to the original test pack).

- To do this, I have to use the Clone functionality but this means I need to create Test Plan C which is not actually required. I can then copy Test Pack A (from Test Plan C) to Test Plan B and no links are present within the test scripts, I am free to edit them without impacting on the original scripts.

Can…

28 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow creating unit test playlists that include entire classes instead of only individual test methods

Right now the "unit test playlists" feature (added in VS2012.2) lets you create a list of individual tests (i.e. methods) to be run. However, we are adding new methods every day, which means the playlists would constantly need to be updated.

It would be great if I could add an entire test class to a playlist, rather than only individual test methods.

28 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Shared Steps to be created within Shared Steps

Currently Shared Steps cannot be created within other Shared Steps as the Insert Shared Steps, Create Shared Steps, Open Shared Steps right-click menu options are grayed out.

27 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base