Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. TFS code review should not require a new code review to be started when code that is already under review is changed based on review comment

It seems that TFS requires a new code review to be started whenever code that is already under review is updated in response to review comments. It is not only unnecessary busy work for a developer to initiate a new review each time a review comment would suggest a change to the code that is already under review is necessary, but it also prevents having a single picture of changes made as a result of the review process.

With the current method, a single logical code review may span multiple physical code reviews and the comments for the single logical…

1,002 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

65 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of investment taking place on our code review platform that will enable iterative code reviews, and we will initially bring that functionality to Git (via pull requests). Improving iterative code reviews for TFVC is still on our backlog, but it is not in our 6 month plan, so we are resetting the status.

Matt Mitrik

• Make visible the current working changeset at which the code is updated in TFS Source Control History

It could be useful to see which is the current working changeset at which the source code is updated like in SVN.
      For example using a bold font for the changeset line in the History

620 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add server-side git hooks

Please add server-side git hooks. Github has this feature and it is extremely useful.

More info here: http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks#Server-Side-Hooks

383 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve started work to improve our Service Hooks for pull requests and to build a status API for pull requests. These features will allow teams to build external tooling that participates in the PR workflow and approval process. We don’t yet have crisp timeline for the release, but we expect this to be available before the end of summer.

Matt Mitrik
          Program Manager

• Allow to move more than one file at once in TFS source control

It is currently only possible to move files one by one in TFS source control, which means that it takes a lot of time to move several files from one place to another place. It would be great if one could select multiple files and move them to another place at once.

284 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow the ability to prove that a code review was done for a task

I was asked to escalate this from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5e9c476d-a728-4505-a310-9614b1c3b06f/how-to-find-a-work-items-code-review-request?forum=tfsworkitemtracking

We are using VS2013 connected to TFS2012.

We are currently being audited as to our development practices. Overall it is going well and we can provide evidence on our processes.

However it seems TFS won't allow us to find a code review for a task.

We use a 1 tier branch, so everything gets committed and released from that. Before a commit a code review request is created. Only when the code review passes will the code be committed. This all works fine. However when looking at a task I cannot…

158 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• implement branch history for folders

In the history of a single file the branch/rename history is visible by plus-sign on the left.
              I would like to have such a feature for complete folders which are branched/renamed.

143 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add syntax highlighting to parsed markdown in Visual Studio Online.

We are using markdown files in our Git repositories for documentation. There are a lot of code examples, but highlighting for programming languages is not implemented in the parsed markdown in VSO.

It would've been awesome to get this feature implemented.

Thank you guys for the all the great work!

132 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow organizing/grouping git repositories in a team project

The ability to host multiple git repositories in a single team project was essential to get uptake of git as a source control option for larger teams.

But with this comes organizing those repositories.

We need a way to be able group git repositories perhaps through some sort of virtual folder structure (like adding solution folders) to help navigation when a large amount of git repositories exist in a single team project.

107 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Change Pull Request Target Branch

It would be great to be able to change the target branch of a pull request. Sometimes a pull request is simply opened against the wrong branch. Other times, the comments and discussion resolve in wishing to integrate with a different branch prior to promoting to the original target.

103 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Clear pull request Approval/Rejection when new commits come in

Often times, while doing code review, someone will leave comments, and then mark the pull request as "rejected". If someone pushes new commits, it would be nice for this "rejected" state (not the comments!) to be cleared, so that review can happen again, and the user can indicate pass/fail on the new code.

96 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • assign code review to a TFS group

In any medium to large development environments that I know, each team has at least a few senior developers that do code review on a regular basis. We also fall in this category and we could really use a way to assign code review to a TFS Group, instead of adding each one of the code reviewers in the team to every code review request

84 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Restore "Missing" TFS Power Tools functionality in VS/TFS 2017

With the removal TFS Power Tools for the 2017 release there are some significant features absent from Visual Studio 2017.

Find by status (server workspaces) allowing you to search for a users checkouts.

On the command line: online, scorch and treeclean don't appear to have any equivalents. These commands are very useful when automating the import/export of objects to or from TFS.

80 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the Find by Status feature, we’re working on an extension to add this capability back to VS. We don’t yet have an ETA for the availability, but I’ll update here when it’s ready.

For tfpt online, scorch, and treeclean, the functionality has been replaced by tf reconcile. If you use tfpt {command} /help, you’ll see a message about the specific options to use to get equivalent functionality with tf reconcile.

Tfpt uu doesn’t have a replacement in tf.exe. The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS.

Thanks,
                            Matt Mitrik
                            Program Manager | VSTS

• VSTS - Personal Git repositories for forking

Give each user a personal Git repo space. The "root" repo today is "Git Repositories". Create a special root called "My Repositories".

Then add a "fork" button next to the "clone" link that would automatically clone in a new repo in "My Repositories" Git folder. Repositories here should still have their origin remote and be available to submit Pull Requests against the origin.

Here is a manual workaround that some are following to recreate this flow:
                            http://www.woodcp.com/2014/01/how-to-fork-git-repositories-on-visual-studio-online/

74 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on forks now and expect to ship it soon. The notion of a dedicated “personal space” to land a forked repo is something we’re going to build in the future. In the short term, we recommend creating a dedicated project for developers to put forks in.

• Code Review after tasks in TFS completed

Now we can perform a code review on checked in code. But my group does incremental check ins and doesn't want a code review after checking in 4 lines of code. We would like to see code reviews after say, the developer has completed a User Story task or a user story. preferrably a task.

65 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have a lot of investment taking place on our code review platform, including the ability to review multiple changesets. Adding this for TFVC is still on our backlog, but it is not in our 6 month plan, so we are resetting the status.

Matt Mitrik

• Unshelve across branches

Commonly write some code in one branch and then have to defer the feature/fix to another release. Need to be able to shelve the changes and retreive them to the other branch. This needs to be supported in the UI.

62 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

• Make it easier to find related work items for pending changes

Please make it easier to find related work items from the new pending changes view. I would like to see a search box instead of a text box to enter a difficult to remember unique ID. If I absolutely must drag & drop work items to this canvas, then I would like an easier way to open up a work item query without having to navigate away from the pending changes view. I'm surprised this wasn't addressed in the Beta as I can't imagine anyone actually who has used this preferring it to the old way of associating work items…

54 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ewald Hofman

• Allow for gitflow branching model

We would like to allow for a git flow model. Or a simple branching model with branch permissions such that only team leads are capable of merge (after code review) and developers may only check into their feature/issue branch.

http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

48 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Shelveset search improvement

Currently you can only search Shelvesets by username which is very restrictive for the following reasons:
                                      1. Search by shelveset name. You have to add a shelveset name so why can't you ssearch by one? We use shelvesets for reviewing purposes and being able to search by name would be invaluable.
                                      2. With the current search (ie by user name ) if you enter an incorrect name you get a TF14045 error. Enabling wildcard searches for this and potentially for point 1 above if implemented would be useful. Currently In a multi domained work environment we have users who have…

47 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ewald Hofman

• Disallow TFS checkin policy override

The ability to override checkin policies is in some cases absolutely unwanted. If I use policies I have fairly reasons to do them and dont't want it can be overridden...
                                        'No override allowed' will be much more useful than generate a list of overridden policies and will help enforce code quality.

46 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Ewald Hofman

• allow us to modify the message returned to the git client when implementing a git server plugin

This discussion explains the issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5cf99831-975c-495e-a77f-8ef0eaba6c62/return-string-for-processevent-of-a-git-pushnotification

Basically, when implementing a server plugin to run during a push, there is currently no way (according to Allen Jin) to have the git client display the reason why a push failed.

46 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base