Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show automatic notification in git that server version has changed. Ask "Do you want to Sync"

Show automatic notification in git that server version has changed, especially prior to pushing changes back to the server. Ask "Do you want to Sync"

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Change file extension for solution filter when using "team explorer" in SQL Server Management Studio

I use SQL Server Management Studio 2016. I used this tutorial (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/11/21/source-control-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms/) to enable source control by using the Visual Studio 2015 isolated shell.

Besides some other minor hiccups I noticed, that the "Team Explorer" does not find any "solutions", even though I created "solutions" in the GIT repository and I am 100% sure that these solutions are checked in into the repository. Still, the "Team Explorer" says that "There were no solutions found". A screenshot can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/G7lt4

I am certain that the reason, why no solutions are found is, that the "team explorer" is…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Show line number and column number in the code viewer for pull requests

During code review for a pull request, I'd like to see information about the line number/column number the cursor is at so I can tell at a glance how long a line is.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Export Code Search Result

Step1. Enter keywords and search
          Step2. Export result, like server path: $/Demo/Applicatoin/app.cs
          Step3. Provide the result to developer

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Calculate automatically when is fix going to be released

It would be amazing if when I close a feedback item, I could link it to a PR or git commit id, and it would automatically tell the customer when is this fix going to be released to the public, and if something changes, it'll keep the customer updated automatically

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restrict user secure for GIT Repository Options in TFS 2017

We're setting up a new on prem TFS 2017 and would like to secure who can change options on a repository.

It's better if there is an secure setting to restrict the access "Options" for certain users.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• browse the commit graph from a particular commit id, not just from a branch

If you go to "Commits", by default it will show a graph of commits with one line description. It will have a branch drop-down.

We need to be able to put a commit-id in the branch drop down, so that we can browse the graph right there. Putting the commit id in the commit id search box doesn't do this, it opens the commit. I just want to view the whole graph, starting at a specific commit.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• TFS/GIT pullrequest "Mine" overview page also need to include pullrequest where I'm in the group there need to review the pullrequest

We are working with TFS/Git pullrequest On-Premise in TFS 2017
                  TFS/GIT pullrequest "Mine" overview page also need to include pullrequest where I'm in a group there need to review the pullrequest,
                  When a pull request is assign to you or create by you, You will see the request in Mine, but when the pull request is require to be review by a Group you won't see it in the "Mine" page. Hope this could be possible in a new version of TFS 2017

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• In Latest Visual Studio Team Services WEB, history comments are not visible. It is better to update on this.

In Latest Visual Studio Team Services WEB, history comments are not visible. It is better to update on this.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• the IDE needs to active when getting from source control

For the last hour my IDE has been dead, it is getting the source.
                      The files are coming down but I cannot interact with the IDE.

I cannot reduce it since it is unresponsive.
                      If i show desktop it pops right up when the first window is clicked.

This has always been an issue with the IDE and source control. The integration locks the entire IDE until it is finished.

decouple the thread and allow the IDE to be responsive or remove the integration from the IDE it has always been flawed.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Move diff thumbnail shown in vertical scrollbar to the left side of the window

Showing the red/green diff chunks in the vertical scrollbar of a pull request is really helpful. However, moving that view over to the column containing the left/right line numbers would be a LOT more usable. The user's attention is heavily weighted toward the left side of the screen where the files and the bulk of the code is displayed. On any decent sized monitor, having to mouse all the way across the monitor to move to the next diff chunk is cumbersome.

See CodeFlow for a great example of how this should work.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow option of converting forks to repos

Usecase:
                          We have a repo A and we forked that to A.fork.

We now want to convert this A.fork into its own repo B because Pull Requests defaults to the older repository A. We use the Pull Requests within the repo to code review. Feedback from VSTS indicates that the behavior of defaulting to the original repo is correct.

There does not seem to be an option for us to convert the fork to its own repo.

Suggested implementation:
                          Allow the fork to be converted to its own repo, bringing along its history.
                          Repos that were formerly forks, can be…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• view only original or new file in pull request

in the pull request file view I should be able to quickly and easily view just the original file, and/or just the new file. this helps when reviewing messy merges where a lot was remove and added making the diff view hard to interpret.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• VS2015 - Bring Back the Option (Options | Tools | Source Control | Environment) to Not Get all Files When Opening Solution or Project

Previous version of Visual Studio had an option to not get ALL files when opening the solution | project. Our church has a large volume of media files which we delete from our local machine after checking into source control. We can't upgrade to 2015 because it forces all files to be automatically downloaded. Cloaking doesn't work because then we can't check in new media files. Please bring this option back.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• I would like to create a notification for pushes to specific files in certain repos

Admins can configure paths for who are required / optional for signoff in the Branch policies page.
                                As the user of a repo I don't have such permissions but I still would like to monitor changes to certain files in the repo. My concrete scenario is that I would like to monitor changes to a file in a customers repo and see how they one or the configuration files for a tool I own. This file is in a folder with lots of other files. The notification filter only allows me to filter by folder, it doesn't allow specific files

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please add "Click to add comment" to the browser context menu in Pull Request view

Please add "Click to add comment" option in Pull Request view to the browser context menu.
                                  Right now, we have to find the "Click to add comment" on the margin to add a comment. Instead, It would be great if we can highlight a piece of code -> right-click -> "Add Comment".

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Link work item to TFVC Branches

Currently Link type Branch in the work item Development section only support Git branches, TFVC branch is not supported

For Team Foundation version control (TFVC), it only lets you link work items to version control changesets or versioned source code files by using the Changeset and Versioned Item link types.

It's better to support for TFVC, Currently our system is deeply integrated with TFVC and as our team gets larger I was really hopping to be able to organize my teams tasks and stories by attaching them to feature branches. This would have helped us with compliance, and auditing.

See…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• commit by commit review (soemthing like Gerrit)

Pull based code review has the disadvantages that one tends to get large amounts of complex changes to review at one time and no incentive to produce a clear commit history. The commit history is what goes into the record and is what someone will see when exploring the history of the code later.

I would like to be able to review and approve each commit in turn so that I can see each atomic change at a time.

A system that offers this sort of functionality is Gerrit.

It is also worth noting that Git merge tracking works better…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• We have problem with our sprint, because each sprint we have multiple small projects, differentes solutions in TFS then What do you recommen

I think that the several companies can't to do sprint how is method textual, then I think that should exist personalization by this situations, where in a sprint we can add differents proyects to source control

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Is there way to add the people in CC list in Alert notification?Can we send alert mail to CC list in TFS 2015?

Is there way to add the people in CC list in Alert notification?Can we send alert mail to CC list in TFS 2015?

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base