Visual Studio Team Services

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show decorate Git Graph with Branch Name aside form Commit Id in VSTS

Hi,

When I want to see a decorated Git Graph from my current branch I can simply do that with that command

git log --graph --oneline –decorate

In VSTS I can only see the commit id but not the branch the commit belongs to.

Please see the tow sample screenshots attached.

Would love to see the feature soon in VSTS.
    best
    Eric

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add option to clear all votes on a pull request

It would be nice if there were an option to clear all votes on a pull request.
      A few times I've created a request, and later had to make fairly significant changes due to unforeseen test failures.

Reviewers that had already approved or rejected a change can see that additional changes have been made, but they may not know that the changes were significant enough to warrant a reviewing again.
      For example, someone may have selected Approved with suggestions for what appeared to be a minor edit, and later find that the edit was much more involved than originally anticipated.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Team Project categorization

We have a long list of team projects in our account. Although there's a search feature, it would be nice to be able to group team projects and have them displayed accordingly.

For example by adding a Team Project Group name on the Team Project settings tab.
        Team Projects without a Group would be listed in the "Other" group by default.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Path filter in Branch Policies Build Validation

It would be nice to have a path filter in Build Validation section of Branch Policies, like the build's Triggers section path filter. This will provide build excecution in Pull Requests. It will be a super cool feature for "mono-repo" projects.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • search pull request by group

I have multiple teams of developers that are in group. I would like to filter all active pull request by specific team same way as I do for assigned to and then get all pull requests for one team.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Customisation in Email notifications that are sent on Commit in Visual Studio Team Services.

it would be good if we can be allowed to customize the subject or the email body of the commit notifications that are being sent from "VisualStudioOnline@microsoft.com"

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Encourage git commit message best practice by providing 50/72 column markers

The current edit area for a pull request description is very wide, allowing very long commit message lines. The best practice for git commit messages is to limit line length to about 72 columns, and 50 for title:
                https://medium.com/@preslavrachev/what-s-with-the-50-72-rule-8a906f61f09c
                Adding a visual marker (vertical line) to columns 50 and 72 (possibly even configurable) would encourage users to write better commit messages, without hindering others not keen on following those guidelines. Even better, the UI could provide an automatic text wrapping tool to format the message.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• time stamp function changes

It would be nice if every time one modifies a function a timestamp would be placed on it. The time stamp would be hidden but you could then sort your functions by time stamp making the last one to be first. That way one would know what item was the most recent one changed and or being worked on. In case of bugs it would be easier to trace them by looking at the latest changes. Currently I place a comment with the date on the items that I add or modify. It works fine so long as I am…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Trunk Based Development for Git: Allow direct master committing and pull requests at same time

Currently, you have to choose: either an open policy where people can commit to master or via pull requests.
                    I'm working often with very mature DevOps teams who want to do both. For a quick and small fix, they chose the direct road, for the bigger features they chose isolation using a feature-branch.Completely in line with TrunkBasedDevelopment.com.
                    Unfortunately, I can't configure this inside VSTS/TFS.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• whitespace

Save the option that toggles Whitespace in Pull Request diffs across visits, just as the option that toggles inline/side-by-side is.

In other words, it would be nice if I choose to view Whitespace in one PR, when I open the next, Whitespace is on too.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Select TFS as default Source Control (not the git local repo)

When i will create a new project the option "add to source control" add the project to local git repository by default.
                        And this do i have that remove the source contro from solution and after add to TFS. LET ME CHOOSE WHICH SOURCE CONTROL I WANT.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Close Branch on PR Merge

Take example pull request:
                          UAT-123 -> master

Add a checkbox on the pull request to close branch UAT-123 after merge. This will prevent the necessity of manual branch cleanup.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• code search

Code search within VSTS should be contextual. For example, if I search from a project/team, it should be project/team wide (as it currently is), but if I search from within a repo, the search should be repo wide (with the ability to change search scope after).

My teams project/team has thousands of repos, and repos have rather long names, so using the repo dropdown or "repo: foo" syntax to scope back down is not an option.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Merge/Diff tool should highlight only char changes, not a long line

Merge/Diff tool should highlight only char changes, not a long line

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• browse the commit graph from a particular commit id, not just from a branch

If you go to "Commits", by default it will show a graph of commits with one line description. It will have a branch drop-down.

We need to be able to put a commit-id in the branch drop down, so that we can browse the graph right there. Putting the commit id in the commit id search box doesn't do this, it opens the commit. I just want to view the whole graph, starting at a specific commit.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Present all updates like build queued, build restarted in the 'updates' view of a PR

The Updates tab on pull requests show some usefull history about this PR. There is metadata on the pull request that is not visible there but in the 'feed' part like who signed off, who waited when etc.

What information is missing is when builds were kicked off by who, if they failed or not and links to the old.
                                  This can be usefully to judge if something is fishy or not. If it seems a build has been kicked off 10 times maybe this is a sign of a bad commit.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pull request comment types (labels of intent)

Our team religiously prefix all PR comments with the below labels, to make the intent of the comment obvious. PR etiquette, especially across remote teams, is especially important, where it's so easy to lose or misunderstand the context of the comment author.

Please could first class support be added for comment types, including:

- Fix
                                    - Suggestion
                                    - Query
                                    - Remark

We currently prefix all comments with a single label inside square brackets, e.g. `[Suggestion] This variable could be renamed to be self-descriptive, e.g. "customer".

We've formalised some definitions to help us navigate these types:

- [Fix] - Where you…

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Populate Pull Request description with commit messages

When creating pull requests from branches containing more than a single commit, the pull request description starts out empty. If there is useful information in the individual commit messages, these are lost unless manually copied, when the workflow requires squash merging.

If the target branch requires squash merges, the pull request description should automatically be populated with the contents of all commit messages on creation, mimicking the behavior of git rebase squashing.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pull request filtering based on whether I have approved/ commented on it.

As a part of a large team. I am assigned reviewer for a lot of PRs but I would like to filter PRs based on whether I have commented on it or have given it a feedback like "approved"/'waiting for author" it

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• "Reject" in pull requests should be changed to "Needs work"

It's a small psychological change, but a simple and effective one.

"Reject" has very negative implications and is often used to mean "Needs work".

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base