Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. show predecessor or successor of PBI in Task Board

I want to show predecessor or successor of PBI in Task Board, some user don't want to have to open each PBI to check for this under All Links. I think it will be pretty convenient if it could be achieved.

Best Regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add a delay on popping up top level menu on VSO

Actually, this is a UX suggestion, but I can't find better category to post it.

We have two lines of menu on VSTS online, the first line contains Dashboards, Code, Work, Build and Release, Test, ..... while the second line contains Files, Commits, Pushes, Branches, .... (suppose I'm under "Code" page).

The first line menu has popups, and it pops immediately once mouse hover it.

So if I move my mouse from top of page (say the address bar) to the second line (say Pull Request), it always trigger popups for Work or Build and Release menu. That may cause…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Copy to clipboard has wrong line endings

Copying contents of a file always copies the CR/LF on each line as if it's unix. However I'm almost always copying the code to paste it into another file, which then has to be fixed up to match Windows.

Please add an option to match my git settings or let me force it to add CR/LF at the end of every line.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Select TFS as default Source Control (not the git local repo)

When i will create a new project the option "add to source control" add the project to local git repository by default.
          And this do i have that remove the source contro from solution and after add to TFS. LET ME CHOOSE WHICH SOURCE CONTROL I WANT.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• TFS:Code Reviews:Changeset based: What happens to code review details view if deleting/destroying a file (in a changeset)

TFS: Code Reviews: Changeset based: What happens to code review details view if one happens to delete/destroy a file (in that changeset and has review comments history)

Scenario:
            Users performed (closed/abandoned/any state) a code review based using a changeset option. Administrators then deleted/destroyed one or more files (or folders - not that important) from the version control as part of some special clean up activity at a later date. Now, if users go back to the same code review for some investigation, not sure how the code review details view will get displayed. I'm expecting an error message most likely…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• disable squash merge commit message prefixe "PR x:"

When i finish a pull request with squash merge, then i dont need this prefix, actualy i have always to remove it.

When i wana see the relation to a PR, i go to the "Branch Update History" insteed of "Commit History"

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow subscription to alert on forks created of a repository for whichyou have contribute access

This allows owners of repositories some insight into forks of their repo.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show commits that have not been cherry picked in git history (git cherry)

We moved from SVN to Git/TFS last year, and part of the process that was a tougher part of the migration was a branching/merging workflow. Since we have multiple supported branches at any given time, changes need to be merged between branches, but a traditional git merge doesn't work in all cases, since there may be commits on branch A that you don't want to merge to branch B. We settled on a cherry pick workflow (which is most similar to an SVN merge), but the problem now is identifying whether a commit has been cherry picked from branch A…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improving the initial setup and check-in to be more intuitive

I've always found the initial setup and check-in to be very unintuitive.

Generally speaking, my idea is to set something up before using it. So I would create the project on VSTS and try to create my "Develop" branch but VSTS wouldn't give me the option.

After many frustrating attempts and StackOverflow questions, I understand that some parts of the process are handled inside Visual Studio. And a folder must first be created which can later be converted to a branch.

Why not allow the user to create project, then a branch directly on VSTS first, then simply check-in the…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Copy Path and Get Link to file option for the context menu on files in the "Files" view

search results offer "Copy Path" and "Get Link to file" in the menu, but when browsing files in the file tree those commands are not available. It is common to want to share a link to file with a co-worker so please add these commands.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• code search

Code search within VSTS should be contextual. For example, if I search from a project/team, it should be project/team wide (as it currently is), but if I search from within a repo, the search should be repo wide (with the ability to change search scope after).

My teams project/team has thousands of repos, and repos have rather long names, so using the repo dropdown or "repo: foo" syntax to scope back down is not an option.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Highlight <branchname> in "Delete <branchname> after completing" option in pull request completion dialogue

The dialogue for completing pull requests seems to have changed, now providing a checkbox to "Delete <branchname> after completing".

It can be really ambigious depending on the name of the branch (e.g. if the branch is called "world" ... it'd read "Delete world after completing").

A simple case of monospaced font with a grey background would make it clear.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please integrate Visual Studio Team Seand Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Online wil

Please integrate Visual Studio Team Services and HDInsight, Azure Data warehouse, Data Lake Analytics better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Team Services will be likely to be using Office 365.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enforce Check-In policy in Team Foudation Serverweb site

Using Team Foundation Server 2015, it is impossible to set a Check-I Policy when editing code via the website.

We can enforce a policy within Visual Studio 2015 that every check-in must have a Work Item defined. However users can still open the TFS website, click on Code, navigate in the Explorer tab to a file, change it and save without ever specifying a Work Item.

Change this so that the same policies applied to code edits via Visual Studio are also applied to edits via the TFS web site.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make code search look into .idl files

Code search through the "Search code" text box in the Code tab in VSTS does not look inside .idl files. It would be really useful if it did, as it would help with refactoring and reading code in general.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Tagging to Pull Request

I want to tag to Pull Request, like a github.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Filter repositories in list by capital letters

When I type MBS for example in the repository list drop-down, it should find repositories like MyBigStuff or my-big-stuff

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Truncate unchanged parts of too-long files in pull requests

If I change the end of a very long file and it becomes truncated in the pull request view, my changes are part of the truncated piece. It would be more useful if the part that wasn't changed was the piece truncated so that my changes could be reviewed.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Is any filter in VSTS where I can get all the file list between two commit range? For example I am giving two dates and it will show all the

Is any filter in VSTS where I can get all the file list between two commit range? For example I am giving two dates and it will show all the changed file names export to Word or Excel.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to Select the Checked-In Work Item's State from the States created on VS Team Service online

Right now, the only Work Item State when checking in the code is either "Associate" or "Resolve". Various states are created for user stories and tasks on VS Team Service Online like "testing", "QA", etc. It would be helpful to choose from those options at check in from visual studio.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base