Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. TFS API for Git Branch Policy

There's no REST API or .Net object model API about Git branch policy currently. Could you publish/provide some api for use to apply branch policies.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Push existing repository instructions should including pushing tags

The instructions given on the Code tab in TFS for how to push an existing repository are incomplete. It currently shows:
      ------------------------

You can push the repository from the command line using the following commands:

git remote add origin https://reposiory.url.in.tfs/projectname
      git push -u origin --all

----------------------------
      It should also include the line:

git push --tags

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add ability to leave comments on files not modified in the pull request

Sometimes a pull request author forgets to modify something that they should have changed, or introduces a change that will have negative impact on a different part of the system.

I'd like to leave my comment about that on the impacted or out-of-date code, but if it isn't in a file that was changed in the PR I don't see a way to comment there. I'd like to be able to use the "Find a file or folder" search bar to select the file.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • When reopening a project and browsing the code, the default branch should be master

I just wasted a few minuted trying to figure out why the newest changes aren't online while browsing an older project, because it remembered that I browsed some old branch quite some time ago.

I think it should default to the master branch, like Github is doing it also.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• VSTS Code Item History Description - Need to show full description

Hi,

Before we moved to VSTS from TFS, we have the ability to view the full description from the list view under the item history (a button to expand, see attachment for TFS outlined in green box).

tfs-2017-item-history.jpg

vsts-item-history.jpg

We lost that functionality in VSTS. This is a significant problem for our support team to have to open each item in order to see the full description. Can you imagine the following?

Looking for reason for the change. Go to the history list of a source item
            Open an item history for version #123
            The change is not what I…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• "Create new branch" remains on task even when have a branch

When editing a task a "Create new branch" provides a convenient way to create and link a branch to the task. However this disappears once a branch has been linked to a task -- so if you need to link a second branch (for example you have to make changes in two repositories) you have to do the second the hard way. I would like the "Create new branch" to remain available even if there is already a branch linked.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Export GIT branch history to Excel or CVS

Want to be able to export branch history somehow, ideally to Excel, so we can create a report of changes, or generate a list for auditing process

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Design a clear Visual Studio Git interface

I would like when I am in visual studio to not have to go to other git clients but use just Visual Studio.

There are some gaps in the current interface for Git in VS 2015 (2017 is still buggy)

- History is not clear comparing with Git Extensions.
                  - Sync is confusing as the user wont's expect that is also pushing. I would like to see if there was done a pull merge or a pull rebase and then push. Actually was doing a pull merge and has pushed that. Too bad.
                  I would like to set a default…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reintroduce the "Get everything when a solution or project is opened" option in VS2015/SSDTG2015

In VS2015/SSDT2015 this option has been removed.
                    It was present in VS2012/SSDT2012 under Tools->Options->Source Control->Environment->Get everything when a solution or project is opened.
                    If still present in VS2015/SSDT2015 please let me know where it is now?

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• VSTS Web Option for Line Ending Encodings

When you hover over a file in the VSTS web portal for browsing the code in your git repository, you see a "..." link. One of the options is to download that file.

When you get the file via a Visual Studio sync, it converts line ending encodings if you have git configured to do that. When you use this download option, it does not, yielding a file that is a different size.

One suggestion to address this is in the title of my post.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show TFVC Login Dialog Rahter Than a Message Stating I Don't Have Access to TFVC

I don't use a particular machine at home very often and when I do get latest I'm told I don't have access to TFVC. Then you gotta go figure out the rather confusing way to login again.

Just show a login prompt when you want user credentials again.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Auto approve pull request if all commits where already approved somewhere else

After a pull request from a side branch to a feature branch was approved, and a new pull request with the same commits from feature branch to master was created, VSTS could remember that's the same commits and could auto approve the pull request.

So VSTS should remember all approved commits and get that status when creating another pull request.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Merge pull request without closing pull request

When working on a task that can be shared between multiple developers, it is useful to merge into master often to avoid conflicts and other issues.

Sometimes there is code that is sub-optimal but is still useful to merge into master.

It would be useful to leave a PR open after a merge so the developer can address comments after merging to master for the first time.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• File gets excluded every time the latest code is taken from TFS

Let's understand the problem:
                              For our ASP.NET project using Visual Studio 2013 premium on a Windows 7 x64

On developer A's machine:

We've got a TFS setup
                              We added a new file A in the project
                              We checked-in the newly created file in the TFS source control
                              On developer B's machine:

We've got the same TFS setup
                              We forcefully took the latest (by specific option - overwrite option) version
                              File A gets loaded in the project, however it stays excluded
                              Developer B manually includes the file in the project
                              We've a little big team, so for every developer. It happens…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Integrate Code Flow for Code Reviews to compare iterations and send CR to group alias

The last time I worked at Microsoft, most teams were using the internal tool, Code Flow, for code reviews. The built in TFS CR tool has two drawbacks:

1) It does not allow sending reviews to a group alias. You must add each individual one at a time. This does not encourage communication between teams, because of course other teams don't think to add me

2) It does not allow comparisons between iterations. If my review is rejected, I can only close it and start another.

Most people I know who have worked there recently wonder the same thing. Why…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable the developer to enter a number of hours against a work item

When committing or checking in changes and associating them with work items, the developer should be able to enter a number of hours to be added to the completed field and remove the same from the number remaining. Each commit would be Associated with the work item until the developer selected Resolve, at which point the hours remaining would be set to 0 and the completed field would be updated one last time. The work item would then be set to resolved.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pull Request: If a Required Reviewer is the same as the Requester, have setting to auto-approve

If a Required Reviewer on a pull request is the same person as the one who created it, have a setting on the project to auto-approve.

For example, I am the required reviewer on "settings.cs" because I am the main developer who works on it and so want to know if anyone else changes it. For pull requests where I change it however, I shouldn't have to "approve" it.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please add an edit button from the pull request view (summary of changes and on the file page)

When someone comments on a file with a suggested change, I'll open up a new Files tab and go make the change. This would streamline responding to feedback.

You could also allow users to suggest changes directly (instead of creating a PR of their own into your branch)

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Could we automatically run reformatmanifest after resolving merge conflicts in json files?

We often get build breaks from improperly formatted json files after resolving merge conflicts in VSO.

I wonder if VSO could run reformatjsonmanifest when submitting merge and notify the user if the manifest is improperly formatted.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show Title and Description for Commit in Pending Auto-complete Call Out

Show the title and description that will be used for the commit when the auto-complete is completed in the location shown in the attached image and allow modification of the auto-complete title and description.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base