Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Quick navigate history on a text selection

When visualizing a text file on VSO, provide a quick git history navigation on the selected text. When the user select a text (e.g. a C# method), provide 2 buttons 'back' and 'next' to navigate trough the old versions of the selected method. This can help to quickly evaluate the changes being made on a specific method.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Show the commit message when viewing a file diff in Pull Requests

In Pull Requests it would be helpful if there was a way to see the original commit message for a file difference - perhaps as a hover over the line(s) that have changed. It would give more context to changes without having to jump out to the commit history in a separate window.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Copy/paste inline diff from VSO to Outlook should preserve color formatting *OR* support text diff format

Copy/paste diff to email is not useful; need to drop to the commandline to produce text output. This is useful when sending quick FYI's to folks representing in shiproom.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Can't create team alerts for any team; just the default team

I need to create an alert for a specific sub-team when a new pull request is created in a specific repo to email *just* the members of that team to ensure that everyone appropriate sees PRs there, regardless of who is explicitly included as a reviewer. VSO only lets me create alerts for the default team of the whole project, which contains way too many people.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Tell user how to auto-login over https

On the page

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/share-your-code-in-git-cmdline

since visualstudio.com for som reason doesn't support the (native to git) git:// protocol, only https, it becomes a pain in the behind to add credentials for every commit (or pull, or... anything really).

While inherently insecure (as you store the info in plain-text -- though it is locally, and in your own account directory), you can get this done automatically.

Open or create the text-file "_netrc" in your home directory, and add/create the following:

machine whateveryoursubdomainis.visualstudio.com
            login yourloginname
            password yourpassword

As I said, it's inherently dangerous since it is in plain-text, but it can reduce your…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow creating code source default folder when create a team project

Each of my projects at least has "Docs" folder, "Src" folder, "README" file, it would be better if I can set a structure of code source when creating a team project.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support git per-user forks.

I've recently discovered that a "fork" is not a copy or replica of a repository in Git. Almost everyone thinks it is but it isn't true. It seems (from work I've been doing and conversations with Github staff) that a fork is nothing more than a per-user set of branches.

When I fork a repo and see a branch "master" in my fork, this is in fact a branch in the original repo but named "hugh.master" - Github mask the name so that all we see is "master".

This is very good design and also means there is ever only…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show decorate Git Graph with Branch Name aside form Commit Id in VSTS

Hi,

When I want to see a decorated Git Graph from my current branch I can simply do that with that command

git log --graph --oneline –decorate

In VSTS I can only see the commit id but not the branch the commit belongs to.

Please see the tow sample screenshots attached.

Would love to see the feature soon in VSTS.
                  best
                  Eric

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow comments on the preview render of markdown files in pull requests

Comments should reference appropriate portion of raw MD file but appear in both the preview render and raw MD file where the commenter made the reference.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow files to be ticked off on pull requests

When looking at pull requests with lots of files, it would be good if files could be ticked off as you are looking through them. That way it's easier to go through if not doing it all in one go.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• TFS Team and Changeset relations

Hi,

We needed a report to fetch the number of checkins in a project at a Team level. Using TFS Apis we could fetch Teams and its corresponding members,
                        And then we fetched the changsets for those users, But if a user is a member of more than one Teams and to fecth this data is bit tricky as there is no relation between the Teams and the changesets.

Is there a way in which we can diffentiate within a Team project that the checkin is being done by a user for 2 different Teams?

Regards,
                        Krupali Desai

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show automatic notification in git that server version has changed. Ask "Do you want to Sync"

Show automatic notification in git that server version has changed, especially prior to pushing changes back to the server. Ask "Do you want to Sync"

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Change file extension for solution filter when using "team explorer" in SQL Server Management Studio

I use SQL Server Management Studio 2016. I used this tutorial (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/11/21/source-control-in-sql-server-management-studio-ssms/) to enable source control by using the Visual Studio 2015 isolated shell.

Besides some other minor hiccups I noticed, that the "Team Explorer" does not find any "solutions", even though I created "solutions" in the GIT repository and I am 100% sure that these solutions are checked in into the repository. Still, the "Team Explorer" says that "There were no solutions found". A screenshot can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/G7lt4

I am certain that the reason, why no solutions are found is, that the "team explorer" is…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Highlight that VS connects to VSTS to new VS users

This is a VS-VSTS feedback item.
                              https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/tutorials/publish-to-azure-webapp-using-vs#comments-container
                              I was following this tutorial and I wanted to know at some point how to connect this to my VSTS Account. It was non-intuitive that I have to click on Team and Manage Connections if I'm new to VS and if I don't know VSTS exists. This page at the end of the tutorial should highlight VSTS (another section could be 'Manage Work' or 'Software Pipeline' etc.).

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Show line number and column number in the code viewer for pull requests

During code review for a pull request, I'd like to see information about the line number/column number the cursor is at so I can tell at a glance how long a line is.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Calculate automatically when is fix going to be released

It would be amazing if when I close a feedback item, I could link it to a PR or git commit id, and it would automatically tell the customer when is this fix going to be released to the public, and if something changes, it'll keep the customer updated automatically

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Restrict user secure for GIT Repository Options in TFS 2017

We're setting up a new on prem TFS 2017 and would like to secure who can change options on a repository.

It's better if there is an secure setting to restrict the access "Options" for certain users.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• browse the commit graph from a particular commit id, not just from a branch

If you go to "Commits", by default it will show a graph of commits with one line description. It will have a branch drop-down.

We need to be able to put a commit-id in the branch drop down, so that we can browse the graph right there. Putting the commit id in the commit id search box doesn't do this, it opens the commit. I just want to view the whole graph, starting at a specific commit.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• TFS/GIT pullrequest "Mine" overview page also need to include pullrequest where I'm in the group there need to review the pullrequest

We are working with TFS/Git pullrequest On-Premise in TFS 2017
                                          TFS/GIT pullrequest "Mine" overview page also need to include pullrequest where I'm in a group there need to review the pullrequest,
                                          When a pull request is assign to you or create by you, You will see the request in Mine, but when the pull request is require to be review by a Group you won't see it in the "Mine" page. Hope this could be possible in a new version of TFS 2017

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base