Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. On TFS 2015 Update 2, Review group permissions

When I grant permissions to manage iterations and area, we need an extra permission: Edit project-level information. But this permission grants the group, a lot of power to manage groups of others.
    I need to grant permission to a group to edit iterations and areas, but these users can not manage permissions of other groups.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We want to build a product that our users love. User Voice provides us a great platform to let any TFS/VSTS user tell us what is important to them. We closely pay attention to the most popular suggestions.

Too many suggestions in User Voice however will make it hard for you to find the suggestions you want to support. We will regularly archive the suggestions created more than a year ago and has low number of supporters.

When a suggestion is archived, you can still view them, but you can’t support them anymore. Also Microsoft will not pay attention to these suggestions.

• Make Private Agent pricing more inline with other offerings

As mentioned in comment after comment on

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/bharry/2015/09/01/september-pricing-and-licensing-changes/

it seems that the $15 / month private agent pricing is just completely out of whack.

It seems at least an order of magnitude to much.

We would love to take advantage of the VS build stuff, but we have 3 agents under teamcity (free), and can't see the benefit of moving over if we have to lose 2 of those.

$2 / month seems more correct. Unless there is computation work we as end users are just not seeing to support the private agents.

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We want to build a product that our users love. User Voice provides us a great platform to let any TFS/VSTS user tell us what is important to them. We closely pay attention to the most popular suggestions.

Too many suggestions in User Voice however will make it hard for you to find the suggestions you want to support. We will regularly archive the suggestions created more than a year ago and has low number of supporters.

When a suggestion is archived, you can still view them, but you can’t support them anymore. Also Microsoft will not pay attention to these suggestions.

• Add rules in the Work Item Tracking Definition language that allow comparison of dates

I have Start Date and End date fields in my work item type. I need a way to prevent users from entering a end date older than the start date. I am hoping this feature would prevent my users from hurting themselves when they are audited.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Need more robust query tools.

I would like the ability to find out which Features are in state <> done where ALL child PBIs are in state = done.

In this way project owners can find out which Features all the work has been done for.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable openId/oauth authentication with an external openid server

Enable openId/oauth authentication with an external openid server.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Add a variable picker to Build/Release

In vNext Build/Release, it would be nice to have a small button to the right of a field in a build step to choose a variable (similar to how TeamCity does this). This would populate with all variables that are allowed in that context, including Release, Build, Agent, Environment variables, etc.. As well as variables defined in the Variables page. I always find myself having to refer back to the documentation when I want a variable and this would be a huge productivity boost.

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Ability to link multiple parent items to the work item

Need ability to link few work items using 'Parent' relationship to any work item. Currently only one parent is allowed for work item.

Few cases for example(used Agile team process):
                1. When creating some Use Story need to be able link them to few parent Features
                2. When creating Feature need to be able link them to few parent Epics and so on...

As result of this feature implementation suggesting to display these work items in hierarchies few times under each parent item.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Open attachments of test result from web portal in browser

The attachments is download directly when click on the attachments of the test result, it would be more better if there is an option to open it from browser directly.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Add the ability to get key Kanban metrics

It is a constant source of frustration that we have no way to easily obtain key Kanban metrics.

A key tenet of Kanban is to continuously improve. Point of fact, your own article titled "Kanban basics" states under "Core Practices" that "Teams determine how to improve the continuous flow of delivery over time based off key metrics."

Here is that article:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/kanban/kanban-basics#kanban-core-practices

What key metrics? Any Kanban solution should at least be able to give you Lead and Cycle Times at a bare minimum. Throughput would be nice.. etc.. Again, these are mentioned in your same "Kanban Basics" article:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/kanban/kanban-basics#4-monitor-metrics-and-fine-tune

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• code review request assigned to me

If someone invites me to a Code Review but then closes the review before I have had a chance to reply, that code review request will remain in the "Assigned to me" query results forever.

I realize that I can edit the query to hide them, but that query is non-trivial.

In brief, I shouldn't have items that remain assigned to me that I have no hope of ever taking action on to remove them from that state.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Provide Enable\Pause\Disable for Build VNext definitions.

VS2013 Xaml builds had an option Pause\Enable\Disable any build definitions. There is no straight forward way of doing it on VS2015 VNext. Further, there are not UI indicators on the build definition displayed for developers to know if the builds are Paused.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• add a sprint effort chart on the iteration page

On the iteration page, there is a chart for the burndown. It is great, but it show remaining works based on task.

It will be great to design a small chart which show the iteration sum effort, the gained and remaining points.

As the velocity chart, but focus only on the sprint page with an horizontal layout.

It will helps building iteration based on the velocity.

See picture joined

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Compare last two versions

Whenever i get latest on something and want to know what was changed i go back to history page and compare the last two check-ins. It would be nice it we had something available in context menu something like 'compare last two check-ins' below 'Compare' to see the difference when the user right click on the file. This will definitely come handy to lot of people who spend time finding the difference on someone else checked in file.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• App

Develop a Mobile App (Windows Phone, Android, & IOS) to manage Work Items for Team Services.
                              This should be able create/edit/delete epics, features, user story, and tasks. Both in backlog and kanban style.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add "Assigned By" field

Please add a core field "Assigned By". To be able to see who changed the "Assigned To" field.

It's currently not possible to add such a custom field.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide a better UI for named parameters to PowerShell script build steps

For project-specific needs, it is often most convenient to perform custom build logic in a PowerShell script step. However, the only way to pass in arguments is through the single-line text box. It would be very convenient and offer better readability if the UI for that build step offered a way to specify a list of key/value pairs that were then turned into a hash and splatted into the script for its arguments.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow for column definition for Epics, features and PBI's

Allow for column definition to be controlled by the team for Epics, Features, PBI's Bugs etc. When in the control panel under process and work item types allow for a default column layout similar to what has been done for States and fields. This allows for the whole team to have the same view.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• notification for work items in view

It would be really nice to have an option to get notified of any new work items showing up in a view or changes to any items in those views. I would love to be able to go to a view and click a "get notified on changes" button to be updated when an item is added.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Kanban shortcut for "Assign To Me"

Having a keyboard shortcut for "assign to me" would make handling tasks in the kanban board more fluent. There are already a bunch of shortcuts for moving a task around. To assign it to myself I have to click in the assigned to field and choose my name. In teams with mor than 6 members I even have to scroll down.

Trello for example uses "Space" to assign the task to me or to remove myself from the card again.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Multiple backlogs (queries) with individual forecast/velocity

In a perfect SCRUM world where all team members can easily replace each other this is no issue.

In my case (and I can imagine I'm not the only one) I have on one side a few people specializing in front-end (web) development and on the other side people specializing in back-end development (interfaces, REST APIs, business processes, ...)

Now of course we have several "teams" in our (single) team project - for every product there's a team. This is perfect to have a product focused view on things. However in my case it is important to have several projects/products…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 139 140
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base