Team Services

Welcome to the Team Services UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for Visual Studio Team Services (cloud) and Team Foundation Server (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a Team Services or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The Team Services team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Team Services?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Clone in your favorite IDE - Visual Studio Code

I have used TFS online with git for version control.
    Please, add an option to clone a project in Visual Studio Code

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We want to build a product that our users love. User Voice provides us a great platform to let any TFS/VSTS user tell us what is important to them. We closely pay attention to the most popular suggestions.

Too many suggestions in User Voice however will make it hard for you to find the suggestions you want to support. We will regularly archive the suggestions created more than a year ago and has low number of supporters.

When a suggestion is archived, you can still view them, but you can’t support them anymore. Also Microsoft will not pay attention to these suggestions.

• Disable squash after pull request for a specific branch

Using a release branch strategy I'd like to disable the squash option on completion of a pull request. This way the release branch will always have a parent to the merged in branch. Just like disabling force push on specific branches I'd like to disable the pull request squash option for any branch.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We want to build a product that our users love. User Voice provides us a great platform to let any TFS/VSTS user tell us what is important to them. We closely pay attention to the most popular suggestions.

Too many suggestions in User Voice however will make it hard for you to find the suggestions you want to support. We will regularly archive the suggestions created more than a year ago and has low number of supporters.

When a suggestion is archived, you can still view them, but you can’t support them anymore. Also Microsoft will not pay attention to these suggestions.

• Sprint-backlogs with workitems from multible product-backlogs

We are not a consultancy. We develop out own website using our own developers. We use the scrum template with vs2015 upd 2 and a local TFS server.

We run projects to construct new products. The projects are temporary, but the products and teams are not.

Often our sprint-backlogs contains work-items from multiple product-backlogs. Teams do not have product-ownership (yet).

** I would like teams and their sprint-backlogs at the collection level, rather than at the team-project level. **

In this way, I could have the sprint-backlog-query show work-items from multiple product-backlogs.

We are building a microservice architecture style site,…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Is there a Test Reporting User group that contains all the permissions needed in TFS, VS and MTM to create and export testing artifacts

My leadership team has been battling for months with figuring out all the necessary permissions we need to generate test progress, test metrics and various test artifacts. Is there a single user group that grants ALL permissions needed to create and export these reports from TFS, MTM and Visual Studio? As the whole company is converting to TFS, there are concerns about making sure that Test managers are have the access they need to do their reporting without allowing them to access more restricted financial information.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Allow Test Case fields to be included in Available Columns under Column Options in TFS

Test case fields like Summary - Description should be available in the Column Options for the Tests section for a Test Suite. This would allow Mass updates in the grid view or at least the ability to directly update the description information in the grid view. In addition, all Test case fields especially outcome should be included in the Column options under Queries so that they can be used for reporting an metrics. They should be prefaced with Test Case so that users can see filter by test case columns. An alternate would be to have a Query section in…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Stop counting ignored test methods in the final "tests passed" tally

As I have converted XAML based builds over to vNext, I have consistently seen unit test methods that are ignored suddenly counted again in the final 'tests passed' tally. So, even though all tests marked to run do so at 100%, I would see, for example:

Total tests: 2338
              Passed: 2089
              Failed: 0
              Others: 249
              Pass percentage: 89.35%

I'd like to see the previous (2013) behavior adopted so that if all tests *marked to run* (ie: no [ignored]) pass, then the feedback should be "100%".

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow ability to force testers to step through the test cases to Pass/Fail instead of being able to just mark Passed/Failed.

As a Test lead, I would like the ability to require testers to step through the test cases and have to pass fail each step at a Test Plan level. Currently we have a lot of contractors executing test cases that are just marking them passed or failed without running them. Sometimes this is okay, sometimes it is not. It would be ideal to decide at a Test Plan level, whether quick updates to the run state were allowed.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Display name or Friendly name search on initial entry in TFS

Currently for first entry in TFS security we must use domain\username. If a user is not added it then pulls from Active Directory the information needed for the user and stores it in the DB. This is difficult for clients managing their own Projects individually who do not have access to Active Directory or familiarity with it. I would like to request an enhancement that will accept lastname, firstname and searches the internal DB, if not found then searches active directory using the same criteria. Rather than just domain\username. The dialog even says you can search display name when adding…

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Keep IIS binding during TFS upgrades

When the TFS upgrade process occurs, it deletes the web application from IIS and re-creates it during the Wizard execution but loses the https bindings. The default http over 8080 port is kept. I can't tell if it is kept because the wizard remembers what configured values or is it just because did not changed default values for http.

My TFS was publish with another binding for SSL using http onto some port and this bindings got deleted during the process. The wizard offers an advanced dialog to manually setup those other bindings but i would be a better user…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Allow exclusion of test steps in the Email or Print Test Artifacts option

Sometimes as a Test lead, I need to provide a high level test plan for dev that basically only shows the table of content details of the test plan so to speak. As you cannot export a test plan with the suite structure and the test case names without including the steps, it requires a lot of extra work on our part to delete the unwanted details from excel and then reformat the report to look presentable. A simple fix would be to have an option to include test cases without steps.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Extend Build REST API to include Test Results & Code Coverage Metrics

Extend the Build REST API to include Test Results and Code Coverage Metrics as displayed on the build hub.

<sample json mockup>
                        testResults: {
                        totalTests: 50,
                        change: -2,
                        passed: 49,
                        failed: 1,
                        others: 0,
                        failedNew: 1,
                        failedExisting: 0,
                        failedChange: 1,
                        passPercentage: 98.0,
                        passPercentageChange: -2.0,
                        detailedReportUri: "http://detailed_report_uri",
                        startTime: "2016-06-01T19:52:42.7771198Z",
                        finishTime: "2016-06-01T19:54:41.78429763Z"
                        },
                        codeCoverage: {
                        blocksCovered: 10713,
                        blocksTotal: 72094,
                        blocksPercentage: 14.86
                        linesCovered: 5532,
                        linesTotal: 43935,
                        linesPercentage: 12.59,
                        resultsUri: "http://download_code_coverage_results_uri&quot;
                        }
                        </sample json mockup>

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Allow querying for cumulative flow diagram data

I'd like to be able to query for the data that underpins the cumulative flow diagram. There are no columns available that track the dates that a work item moved between columns.
                          Being able to pull the data out (into Excel for example) would allow me to play around with the data, more easily extract numbers (without having to read the graph), and use the data in other reporting systems.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Add global label for custom work item fields in process customization

Currently in VSTS you can define custom fields and set a label only in a specific work item type, where this field is used. Because you want to avoid conflicts when Microsoft introduces new fields to a process it is good practice to use a prefix for your custom fields e.g. "mycompany_Project". In the work item definition of that field you set a label "Project" and all the other settings like required flag, etc.

The problem with this approach is, that the label can be different for different work item type and so have different meaning, but in the query…

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable users to add new files to Source Control via TFS Web access

Enable users to add new files to Source Control via TFS Web access

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Release Management Permissions

The Release Administrators group permissions should be implemented in the same way as the Build Administrators group was implemented.

We have a team that specifically looks after builds and releases which is separate from the general development team. As such we want to restrict the development team to only view releases and release definitions. The rest of the tasks in release management should only be performed by the release team.

As a result, we set the permission for the 'Contributors' group to deny for most options. The 'Release Administrators' group permissions were left to the defaults as these guys would…

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Dropdown Checkin Notes

At the moment its only possible to create custom freetext checkin notes.
                                  Please also add the possibility to define items which can be selected by the user via a dropdown.
                                  eg.: Field "Type".
                                  Possible Items: ADD, CHG, FIX, ...

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Jenkins service hook to opt out of including the sha1

Currently the Jenkins service hook for push notifications always includes the sha1. The Jenkins git plugin creates a build for every single SHA1 that is sent which can create a large backlog of builds if many commits are submitted in a small timeframe.
                                    It would be nice if there was a way to choose to not send the sha1 which would let the Jenkins git plugin just poll for the latest for the speciifed git url and branch.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• 'unfurl' support for Slack for workitems (aka Twitter Cards)

It would be extremely useful to have a quick summary of a Workitem when posted in Slack.

It is called 'unfurl-ing' and many sites support this.

See this post for more details.

https://medium.com/slack-developer-blog/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-unfurling-but-were-afraid-to-ask-or-how-to-make-your-e64b4bb9254#.js184dgr0

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Add ability to create environment variables for release in Template Variables page

When editing a release template in the Variables tab, if a specified environment doesn't have a variable the UI doesn't let you add anything for it. There is just a grayed-out text field you can't edit. It would be nice if I could add the variable from this screen.

Without this you have to go back and individually add the variable to each environment. Which can be annoying to do.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Add work item types to the Kanban checklist.

We need the ability for work items in the Task category to show in the checklist on the Kanban board. It's great that they show on the Task list and Backlog list, but there's a gap without them showing in the checklist.

I use Task for Development with default Activity set to Development. I have created a new Task - Test with default Activity set to Test. It doesn't show in the checklist so there is a false sense of progress. I'd also like to create another to track Test Identified Work.

If this isn't possible, then we need the…

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 133 134
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base