How can we improve Team Services?

make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

3,419 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling the ability to move projects between collections is a feature that we’re committed to delivering. However, due to the impact that this has across all of our development teams we are choosing to delay investments in this area in order to let those teams accelerate investments in DevOps workflows. We will re-evaluate picking this up mid-way through 2017 and will provide an update on our plan at that time.

Rogan Ferguson
    TFS & VSTS Program Manager

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carrie KistnerCarrie Kistner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company also really needs this feature and would like it to be in an update for TFS 2015 or at least for there to be some kind of tool provided that is supported, unlike the old TFS Integration Platform.

• Randy in MarinRandy in Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darn, it appears that I will be retired before this feature is implemented. Perhaps all of us will be.

• Rich WoodsRich Woods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that moving Team Project between collections is NOT available in TFS 2017 RTM. Are we going to have to wait for TFS VNext (the next MAJOR TFS release) for this feature to be delivered or is it going to be possible in the next series of update releases to TFS 2017? I ask because we are running on TFS 2015 Update 3 and don't have any plans to upgrade to TFS 2017 in our production stack at this time. This ONE feature would make a compelling case and reason to upgrade to a newer version of TFS..and if it's going to be further off into the future that's fine...be stakeholders are asking if we should upgrade to TFS 2017..or just skip it and wait for the next MAJOR release train.

Last question, will we be able to move EVERYTHING that is related to a team project (security groups, Collection level permissions, Build Server settings, Lab Management settings, etc)?

• ÅkeÅke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also looking forward to such a feature. Is it planned for an upgrade in TFS2017?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide this functionality. It creates a great degree of pain to your government customers when we go through realignment of divisions.

• JC_NVJC_NV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a welcome feature. Since we are *very* close to 2017 at this point, any update as promised?

• D-brosd99D-brosd99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont even understand how MS managed to sell the product without out some of the basic features.

Shame

And what is even more interesting is that companies have bought this.

• Vincent ChowVincent Chow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major pain point for managing active team projects and archiving old ones. This feature should have been available since... yesterday may be?

• Ralph SchindewolfRalph Schindewolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide a way to archive collections or at least seamless archive team projects and move them to collections that can be archived. Really looking forward to this feature as we have team projects scattered over numerous TFS instances in different collections and we'd love to be able to consolidate down to one team project collections. 2017 can't get here fast enough for this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for planning this feature. There are so many of us waiting for it. My collections have been growing year after year and it is becoming a burden to administer them all separately. I look forward to 2017, the year that we are finally capable of merging collections.

• AlejandroAlejandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TFS Integration Platform is obsolete. All of the transactions are done by the migration user account, so your search of who and when things were done, is lost.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base