How can we improve Team Services?

Work item control that allows a selection of multiple values

Having a multi-select control that work in VS, Web access, that is easy to query and populates the reporting cube would helpfull in many scenarios.

The current work around (ex: http://witcustomcontrols.codeplex.com/) is far from empassing all the above requirements

782 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team uses multi-value select fields in TFS for our core work, involving 1000's of customer escalations monthly involving the Universal Store (fka Commerce Platform) which directly involve revenue. We would love to have this feature/capability be "out of the box" and not dependent on a third party solution.

• Warren JamesWarren James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a popular request from our internal TFS users - it gets asked for, every 4 months like clockwork. The witcustomcontrols is a good stand-in but only goes so far (e.g. that one is not compatible with 'hiding readonly empty values' in the layout.

• Ed.SchwartzEd.Schwartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really appreciate having a multi-select control. We have a TFS server that is setup by our production control team and they do know want to install 3rd party controls because they will be broken by upgrades. Please include this feature for workitems.

• David GreenDavid Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can vouch for another large company, Schneider Electric, who urgently needs this feature. Often our products are systems, where we don't want the disparate parts like mobile, web, and hardware separated into isolated team projects. Doing so would make it hard to assess the overall project progress, as many in our test and development team work across these areas. Also, we have more cases than not where it adds value to assign requirements, test cases, and bugs to multiple areas, not just one. We need multivalue controls specifically in the "Area" field.

• Robert CastlesRobert Castles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fundamental field type which has a significant impact on how we can or cannot use the product. Multi-select should be a trivial data type and interface to implement. It's one of those "obvious, must be in the application" type controls, which is hard to believe is not in the latest version.

• Alexander KorolAlexander Korol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The major issue with that control is it will be hard to make Analysis Cube work with such delimited data.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about you guys work (and invest) with the CodePlex project to make sure it is a quality experience for us since we are dependant on it until you get around to adding this standard field type. Some considerations. Help them fix the web portal issues. Help make sure the upgrade works for users using the custom controls. Help them get it working on 2012. If this control type is so seemingly unimportant, there must be a better solution that we are unaware of. We have nothing but requests from our teams to add additional fields to help track versions, releases, db's, install types, and etc. All of which are multi-select fields and all seem reasonable and basic. How is everyone else getting by without this field? The fact that we have to manually deploy these custom controls to every client is also a major hassle.

• SaraSara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also in my company (Siemens) we have exactly the same requirement.

Feedback and Knowledge Base