How can we improve Team Services?

New Work Item Control: Checkbox

Creating string fields with "Yes" and "No" (or "True" or "False", or "1" and "0") as allowed values, is a viable "workaround" for a Yes/No field - but still, a real checkbox control would make it even better.

btw: Checkboxes are a Windows control introduced from the very beginning (Windows 1 actually, I checked. ;)

649 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NenoNeno shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VladimirVladimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gents, it is told that checkbox control is available on premises in tfs 2017. But I was unable to find it.

• KarmaEDVKarmaEDV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, do you plan to allow some of the most important rules for Checkboxes?

As for now (TFS2015.3 on Prem) it is not possible to check if a checkbox has a True-Value

- It is not possible to set "ALLOWEDVALUES" to only "True" or "PROHIBITEDVALUES" to "False"
        - It is not possible to set a "MATCH" rule to text "True"
        - It _is_ possible to set "NOTSAMEAS" another Bool-Field with opposite value, _BUT_ it does not seem to do anything in the workflow

I just want to set a rule like "This checkbox needs to be checked True before the next state becomes available"

• Derrick FuDerrick Fu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@JustynD

Boolean will work with some quirks (particularly with respect to Visual Studio Team Explorer) in TFS2015. We are improving our client support and some other behaviors with the VSTS version and these improvements will be available in TFS vNext.

More information can be found on this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2016/05/14/boolean-checkbox-fields-on-team-services/#

• JustynDJustynD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UPDATE: Trial and error says this works:
        Definition:
        <FIELD name="CustomerReported" refname="X.X.CustomerReported" type="Boolean" reportable="dimension" />

Layout:
        <Control FieldName="X.X.CustomerReported" Type="FieldControl" Label="Customer Reported" LabelPosition="Left" />

• JustynDJustynD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like this is released for TFS on-site. Can we get some documentation on how to implement via witd?

• S OlsonS Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be useful to have the ability to place checkboxes directly in the description, as often descriptions turn into lists of steps to accomplish a task.

• Anthony HunterAnthony Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to have a checkbox control on the work item would be create. Would help simplify the layout so that there aren't a bunch of Yes/No picklist controls.

• AdrienneAdrienne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

trying to get the CodedUI to recognize/identify and record that I have a list of checkboxes and need to turn each one on/off for various selection criteria is very difficult (impossible so far). It would be GREAT if when setting up the UIMap from the application the CodedUI builder was able to recognize them or when creating the assertions or identifying the elements from the UI page.

• Warren JamesWarren James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my travels I came across the following comment: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/serkani/archive/2012/07/12/adding-content-files-to-work-item-custom-control-extension-package.aspx#10348196. I can confirm this usage/technique does indeed render a native checkbox control with no additional plugins required - works with query searching as well. Unfortunately it only renders in Web Access ... in Team Explorer it renders just as a text field with no options. Tested using TFS2013 Update 3. At this stage I'm still at a loss as to why such a basic item was omitted after all this time (user since TFS 2005 Beta 2).

• Ed.SchwartzEd.Schwartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really appreciate having a checkbox control. We have a TFS server that is setup by our production control team and they do know want to install 3rd party controls because they will be broken by upgrades. Please include this feature for workitems.

• Sam RodneySam Rodney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please, pretty please give us a checkbox control. It's a papercut that just makes TFS painful to use.

• elafelaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some type of a key/value list (combobox, listview) will be also useful. Example: I have to select the name of a external sales person from a list and fill a workitem field with the corresponding email address. Or: I have a list with external product names and fill the corresponding internal productname into a workitem field.

Feedback and Knowledge Base