How can we improve Team Services?

Provide build configuration dependencies in TFS Build

Provide the ability to create build configuration dependencies such that the success of one build configuration can trigger another build configuration such as a successful build triggering the building of an installation package or a build configuration which deploys to a development or staging server. Other tools such as Cruise Control.Net and Jetbrains TeamCity already offer build configuration dependencies/build configuration triggering through various means, therefore, TFS Build should also provide this type of support.

2,604 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    vs2015junkievs2015junkie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sadgitsadgit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a fundamental requirement of any build system.
        TeamCity has had this forever.

• ChaimChaim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is an important feature, it is in all build systems i have worked with.
        Also TFS 2015 has a problem that it does not allow build from multiple branches .this should also be addressed ASAP

• Harald KHarald K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would very much appreciate such a feature on TFS as well. Other CI servers offer this: Jenkins for example. This would be critical for our company!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea was posted in 2011. This feature seems to be pretty simple. Why wasn't it implemented yet?

• Lou machadoLou machado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is critical. Without it there is no way to equivalently match activities you can do in Windows Workflow. For larger, complex builds we need a way to manage things so we aren't stuck going iteratively through steps (which wastes processor cycles).

• jeannerodjeannerod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important feature. I don't know how to handle complex build process like in real organization without this feature. Please add this to TFS 2017.

• BijendraBijendra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Vote to this. I am working as DevOps SME and at the same time need to do tools rationalization/consolidation, we can not proliferate multiple ecology for every bit of DevOps. We need to get rid off Cruse Control and others. This feature will help us to bring everybody into a Single-Integrated platform - TFS.
        As this seems to be planned, I wish it will seep into latest release !!

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also like to add a vote for this. I'm a DevOps engineer as well, and i'm forced to leave the TFS ecosystem because of the lack of this feature. Please do something ASAP!

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote for it too as this will be a great feature as it will really leverage the power of TFS further.

• HaukeHauke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crucial feature for the usability of the build engine. It should also be possible to use the artifacts from one build definition in the another build definition.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature! This is a major roadblock for our team.

• TkuTku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please give us an update when this feature will really "planned"? This would be great. We can't wait to somehow set up a kind of build chain for the TFS. Thanks!

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we change "PLANNED" to "STARTED"? It is about time... I still and really cannot believe that this feature is still not implemented. Not even the slightest support. Just unbelievable! Sorry, but this is frustrating...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base