How can we improve Team Services?

Import data from TFS on-prem into VS Team Services

possibility to export a collection and import it in an on premises installation and the other way

997 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco CusinatoMarco Cusinato shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FabienFabien shared a merged idea: Import a full TFS database on Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Steven SpyrkaSteven Spyrka shared a merged idea: Export and Import Feature to Team Foundation 2013 Server  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make an export/import to archive function for Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Akash KavaAkash Kava shared a merged idea: Migrate Existing TFS Projects to TFS Cloud Service  ·   · 
    Larry CarterLarry Carter shared a merged idea: Migration from On-Premise to Team Foundation Services  ·   · 
    Derek NoonanDerek Noonan shared a merged idea: Provide a means of migrating from on-prem TFS to cloud TFS  ·   · 
    Nicolas LouisNicolas Louis shared a merged idea: Migrate Team projects from private TFS to TFS Azure  ·   · 

I’m happy to announce that we’ve started work on enabling data import to VSTS from TFS. This will enable customers to detach and import a collection into a VSTS account. We’re hoping to have a private preview available in 2016 Q2.

This does not include the other way and move your data from VS Team Service to on-prem TFS. If you are interested into that scenario, please vote for this suggestion: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519/suggestions/12407493

Rogan Ferguson
    TFS Program Manger

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ed BlankenshipEd Blankenship commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ali Se: That's a really good question. If there are team projects that you no longer need or want to import into your Visual Studio Team Services account, you can consider either deleting the team projects or splitting those old team projects into a separate collection. You could even call the collection the "Archive Collection." Be careful if you do choose to split your collection, you won't be able to "merge" the collections in the future so it's a one-way process. Here is some more documentation about how to split your team project collection: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936158(v=vs.120).aspx

• Ali SeAli Se commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ed Blankenship
        I really have a lot of old (closed) projects in the same collection with new and current projects.
        I don't want these projects to be migrated, Do you have a tip or workaround for this situation?
        Thanks in advance.

• Chris CChris C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team is VERY interested in this! How can we get in on the preview once it is released?

• Ed BlankenshipEd Blankenship commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll ask Rogan to come update this User Voice item but we've been making some good progress. I wanted to share a few tips to help everyone be as prepared as possible.

1) My first tip for everyone who want to import their data from VSTS: You'll want to make sure you are on the latest update of Team Foundation Server whenever you're ready to import. I would get that process started now since for many teams that may take some time: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/tfs2015-update3-vs

2) My second tip is if you have really old team projects, you'll want to make sure that you have used the "Configure Features" tool on every one of your team projects and make sure you are successful: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/customize/configure-features-after-upgrade. This can potentially take some time so go ahead and be prepared.

• Alan TAlan T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rogan, I am interested. Can you publish an update as to when its scheduled to release, since we are out of the 2nd Q now?

• Ali SeAli Se commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the preview is available, I'm very interested, and like to move my company from on-prem to Team Foundation Services.

• Mike BransteinMike Branstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rogan, I have several customers VERY interested in moving from on-premises TFS 2015 to VSTS. Some could be good cases, as they have TPCs originating from TFS 2010 and earlier. One is actively using Build and Release vNext. Is there any chance to get into the private preview?

• Robin BahmRobin Bahm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the private preview available yet, has anyone had a chance to try this? Is there any update on release date?

• Paul ChanningPaul Channing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I look forward to being able to try this out. We cannot move our existing projects into Team Services until we can take all our work items, changesets, labels etc. keeping the same ids and dates, otherwise we have to keep an on premise TFS server running so we can find this information and if we are going to do that we might as well just keep using TFS.

• Christopher MankChristopher Mank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also love to be on a private preview. We do these types of migrations often and this is always a sticking point.

• Bill FenckenBill Fencken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to be a part of the private preview as well. We're a Silver ALM partner with a client that wants to use this feature on their move to VSTS.

• Clayton ReevesClayton Reeves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If any of you are looking into the possibility of changing your storage engine from TFS to GIT there is an amazing project called git-tfs - https://github.com/git-tfs/git-tfs. It will take the full structure of your current TFS repo and replicate it to the best of its abilities into a GIT repo.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base