How can we improve Team Services?

Import data from TFS on-premises into Visual Studio Team Services

possibility to export a collection and import it in an on premises installation and the other way

1,117 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marco CusinatoMarco Cusinato shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    FabienFabien shared a merged idea: Import a full TFS database on Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Steven SpyrkaSteven Spyrka shared a merged idea: Export and Import Feature to Team Foundation 2013 Server  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make an export/import to archive function for Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Akash KavaAkash Kava shared a merged idea: Migrate Existing TFS Projects to TFS Cloud Service  ·   · 
    Larry CarterLarry Carter shared a merged idea: Migration from On-Premise to Team Foundation Services  ·   · 
    Derek NoonanDerek Noonan shared a merged idea: Provide a means of migrating from on-prem TFS to cloud TFS  ·   · 
    Nicolas LouisNicolas Louis shared a merged idea: Migrate Team projects from private TFS to TFS Azure  ·   · 

We are really happy to announce the Public Preview of the TFS Database Import Service for Visual Studio Team Services! The import service is a high-fidelity data import solution for teams wanting to migrate their TFS environment to being hosted by Microsoft in Visual Studio Team Services. You can find out more info on the announcement blog post here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2016/11/16/import-your-tfs-database-into-visual-studio-team-services/

Additionally, there is a new Visual Studio Team Services Migration Guide that walks you step by step through the entire process with checklists, worksheets, and links to the right technical documentation for each of the steps along the way. You can download the Migration Guide at: https://aka.ms/TFSImportData

Note, this UserVoice suggestion doesn’t not include exporting data from Team Services to TFS. If you’re interested in that scenario, please vote for the following suggestion:
    visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519/su..

Rogan Ferguson
    Program Manager

79 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ed BlankenshipEd Blankenship commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A quick update from the team: we are currently still in Private Preview and that we will be posting an update in the month of November on the next chapter of the program.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's almost two months since the last update - another update would be great... Along with an estimate as to when this would become available to the public... 2017 Q1? Q2?

• DamienDamien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to join the Preview, have been waiting for this for a long time and am ready to try this ASAP.

• Kyle FenderKyle Fender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to join the preview as well! This was the last piece we were looking for to sunset our on-prem TFS infrastructure.

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to join this preview. We're porting over several projects in Q4 that this would greatly help. Will start working now to ensure we're on the latest per Ed's comments below.

• RastoRasto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to join preview? We plan to migrate from TFS to Team Services in the near future.

• Brad HagerBrad Hager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could be part of the preview that would be great. I'm trying to migrate our whole on premise TFS 2015 environment to VSTS but the OpsHub utility is just too limiting in that it loses far too much history in the migration process.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Our next target is to get a private preview of full self-service, customers queuing their own imports, sometime this fall." - so does this mean general usage is still a ways off? Disappointing!

lack of this tool prevents consideration of VSTS...

@Ali Se: That's a really good question. If there are team projects that you no longer need or want to import into your Visual Studio Team Services account, you can consider either deleting the team projects or splitting those old team projects into a separate collection. You could even call the collection the "Archive Collection." Be careful if you do choose to split your collection, you won't be able to "merge" the collections in the future so it's a one-way process. Here is some more documentation about how to split your team project collection: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936158(v=vs.120).aspx

• Ali SeAli Se commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ed Blankenship
        I really have a lot of old (closed) projects in the same collection with new and current projects.
        I don't want these projects to be migrated, Do you have a tip or workaround for this situation?
        Thanks in advance.

• Chris CChris C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team is VERY interested in this! How can we get in on the preview once it is released?

I'll ask Rogan to come update this User Voice item but we've been making some good progress. I wanted to share a few tips to help everyone be as prepared as possible.

1) My first tip for everyone who want to import their data from VSTS: You'll want to make sure you are on the latest update of Team Foundation Server whenever you're ready to import. I would get that process started now since for many teams that may take some time: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/tfs2015-update3-vs

2) My second tip is if you have really old team projects, you'll want to make sure that you have used the "Configure Features" tool on every one of your team projects and make sure you are successful: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/customize/configure-features-after-upgrade. This can potentially take some time so go ahead and be prepared.

• Alan TAlan T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rogan, I am interested. Can you publish an update as to when its scheduled to release, since we are out of the 2nd Q now?

• Ali SeAli Se commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the preview is available, I'm very interested, and like to move my company from on-prem to Team Foundation Services.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base