How can we improve Team Services?

Create a grouping / categorising mechanism for product backlog

There isn't a good way to group or categorize items on the product backlog at the moment. Especially when starting up a new project, this means the backlog is huge and you'll probably need some sort of way to keep track of everything. There's areas, but those don't show on the product backlog. There's linkin items, but that also affects prioritising in way you don't want it to.

Some kind of tagging system would be nice. Suppose you could tag your workitems with categories (the way SharePoint tagging works is quite powerfull). Those categories could then be used to filter, search or group items on the product backlog. Product owners would be pleased I think, since this makes it a lot easier to keep track of everything.

30 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jasper SiegmundJasper Siegmund shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In TFS 2013 we have added the portfolio management capability to TFS, which enables your requested scenario. If you want to learn more about portfolio management, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/dn237341.aspx.

In addition you can also use the work item tags to categorize your items further. We have just announced the ability in VIsual Studio Online to query on tags, which makes it even more valuable.

Ewald Hofman
    TFS Program Manager

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service