How can we improve Team Services?

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

One of the things which I feel has value in the process templates forTFS 2011 is the state changing based on the linked child items. Like how the hours aggregate up from the linked child work items to the parent item, if there is a way to get the parent work item state to transition based on the linked child item state it would be good. An example of this is when a child item state is set to "In Progress" if the parent work item is then set to "In Progess" automatically.

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

196 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Prasanna RamkumarPrasanna Ramkumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Job SchepersJob Schepers shared a merged idea: Expose or automate Product Backlog Item / Bug State  ·   · 
    p shahp shah shared a merged idea: Change state on child work items when the parent state is changed  ·   · 

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian BrinkAdrian Brink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 i want this!

I want my Features to change to 'Active' when I start working on the User Stories

• Beth WhitezelBeth Whitezel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to alert the assigned to of a parent based on a state change of a child as well

• Charles PhillipsCharles Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to convert a company to VSTS and this is being pointed at as an example of MS not understanding the developer community,

• Martin NorinMartin Norin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALM team stated 2011 that it's in the backlog. How come this has not been implemented yet? We are already in the 2015 version, cant be that there are that many things that are more important then this and it takes 4 years to implement?

• DarrenDarren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be implemented as it is annoying to have to remember to manually change the User Story state whenever you change the Task status. The main actions are Work Started and Work Completed.

An example of why this is needed:
        You are working in the Task Board and you have filtered the board by Person. You now cannot see the user stories. Everyone does their work and completes all their Tasks. But from the Stories Board all of those User Stories are still sitting in the New state even though all the work has been completed.

I believe that this can be done be modifying the workflow of a work item in TFS - I vaguely remember doing this before - so it should be available on Team Services too

And as someone else pointed out below - competitor products do this and so far this is the biggest complaint I am receiving after switching over to VSTS

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another Great use would be to have a parent item (i.e. User Story) is marked as "In Progress" when one of its child items is started.

This doesn't have to be done automatically (TFS shouldn't have to 'guess' what is needed) but if it was supported in something similar to the logic engine for WITs, then Admins could specify what states could/should be updated in parent/child relationships.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if a PBI gets marked done when all our tasks are marked done. This affects our velocity if we don't go through and mark PBIs as done. Very inefficient to go through and mark PBIs done if we marked all tasks as done.

• Generic RamirezGeneric Ramirez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you are working on a User Story that has multiple tasks, and for whatever reason the state changed on that user story (user is no longer interested, priority changed, or simply is closed as is no longer applicable) sometimes you have many tasks and additional stories under it, as a manager is really cumbersome to go through and close all the child items once you get in that state.
        I have spent many hours just cleaning up all the pending tasks for user stories that were closed already

• Ahmed IGAhmed IG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important, as it doesn't make sense to go through all parent work items when you have all the children work items closed.
        It will make our lives way easier, neater and smarter.

• Will SmithWill Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a pain to go to the PBI and change the state to Done when all of the tasks have already been completed. Either have to open the PBI and edit, or go to Kanban board (away from Sprint board)

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I forgot to mention it would be nice to have this out of the box and not have to maintain our custom service.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We wrote a service to do the opposite as well. When all child items are closed we automatically close the parent PBI. It helps to keep all PBI's in sync with its actual state.

• Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for submitting. We have this one on our backlog. It does keep getting pushed down, however, so any information on why this is important would be helpful.

Gregg Boer - MSFT / TFS Product Group

Feedback and Knowledge Base