How can we improve Team Services?

Integrate Office365 and Visual Studio Team Services

Please integrate Visual Studio Team Services and Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Team Services will be likely to be using Office 365.

Integration should include:
- Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID (or Microsoft Accounts).

- SharePoint site integration - from Visual Studio Team Services let me configure a site that I can host file sharing from, including the ability to use Office 365 as a SharePoint source. Administrative functionality should be included provided the user has the ability to administer Office365.

- SharePoint site integration, storyboarding - same as above, but specifically to better storyboarding integration. Currently users must manually "go somewhere else" to save their storyboard file, or add it under source control which is not ideal in either case. This should be seamless, especially considering the slightly non-technical nature of the audience for storyboarding.

2,349 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Neil McIsaacNeil McIsaac shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Kingcean TuanKingcean Tuan shared a merged idea: OneNote supports  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Integrate TFS self-hosting with sharepoint 365 service on the cloud  ·   · 
    Justin HubbardJustin Hubbard shared a merged idea: Integrate Team Foundation Service with Sharepoint  ·   · 
    Mauricio AvilesMauricio Aviles shared a merged idea: Integrate Team Foundation Service Web Access with Skydrive.  ·   · 
    OlivierOlivier shared a merged idea: Support using Sharepoint Online for TFS  ·   · 
    Bernard GrosperrinBernard Grosperrin shared a merged idea: Allow to link Team Foundation SERVICE with Sharepoint, just as it is possible for Team Foundation Server  ·   · 
    Richard ConwayRichard Conway shared a merged idea: Add the ability to create TFS->Sharepoint links in TFS Preview  ·   · 
    Gulshanur RahmanGulshanur Rahman shared a merged idea: Support Skydrive as a project repository  ·   · 
    Qaiser IftikharQaiser Iftikhar shared a merged idea: Make TFS integrate with Office 365  ·   · 

56 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for adding O365 collaboration groups. They actually show up as possible groups in TFS online, once added they show up as [Team Foundation Server/.... but TFS errors out when the group is added because the function populates a GUID in the background and then the error is generated inline.

• Aaron GiustAaron Giust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for integrating with files stored on Office 365 whether it's a regular SharePoint Online library, OneDrive, or Office 365 group file share. The PowerPoint storyboarding integration is great but it doesn't fulfill the requirement completely. I want to add a feature item to my backlog and then link requirements, specifications, and architectural documents to it. I don't want to attach it. It needs to be a link because I'm going to link those same documents to other items in my backlog.

• Ian KlekIan Klek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see Team Services projects integrate with Yammer. Comments made on backlog board items should be visible in Yammer and maybe even Project, with a link to the item (and vice-versa).

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, so If I add my office 365 account in VSO it will generate an email that says "Join now". When I click that button in my email I get routed to the VSO online page except this login page doesn't show the "Sign in with your work and school account" option on the left side. Instead I goto VisualStudio.com and that option/link is there on that sign in page. Strange....

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah, I was expecting this functionality out of the box. I have a @outlook.com account and I added my @...onmicrosoft.com account and it says it's not recognized.

Not cool

• David AllenDavid Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us, this is about needing a better way to manage requirements. Our company also sees Jira/Confluence as a stronger product around the management of requirements. Like others have said, the rich text fields of a work item are not enough. Attachments are a poor way to store documents that may evolve over time. SharePoint or Office 365 would be good options if more seamless integration existed. We want documents that are linked durably to work items. Moving or renaming a document should not break its link. Use IDs of some sort.

• Stacy O'DellStacy O'Dell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Steven yes -- exactly. I need a compelling argument to quiet the Jira/Confluence advocates here at my company. Even just the ability to use SharePoint as a project wiki would be a step up.

• Ewout de BoerEwout de Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if you could add a visual studio online 'account' from the Office 365 management portal. Many companies do already have office 365, then it easier to create it from there. Like you are able to open up your Azure Active directory from the Office 365 management portal.

Then both accounts should be linked also on billing level: When you have more than 5 developers or using additional build minutes in visual studio online it could be added to the same bill as you will receive from Office 365.
        So I prefer a combined experience from Azure, Office 365 and Visua studio online

• StevenSteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you need a reference look at what Atlassian cloud is doing with Jira and Confluence

• DanielTDanielT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A frequent problem I encounter with my customers with big projects is that requirements based on WorkItems are not rich enough. It is very awkward and a major break in the overall ALM experience now to reference architecture diagrams in Visio, sample data in Excel, chapters in Word documents etc.. SharePoint is IMO a sub-par tool to provide this integration. You have Office365 now. There are team-enabled versions of all the tools mentioned above. Wh don't we get to use them seamlessly with TFS?

• Ali RobertsonAli Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"- Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID."

This is absolutely doable at the moment, on the sign in page, on the left hand side, click "Sign in with your work and school account" and sign in to 365. You will then be prompted to create a VSO account, which will be linked to 365 accounts.

The rest is very valid. I would actually like to see VSTS integrated with the o365 Groups and Delve features, rather than with SharePoint.

• Tin NguyenTin Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right. I wish that there are integration between VSTS and office 365 too.
        - Same team share between them
        - I can use office 365 to discuss about requirement/issue. and when it's finalized I can create work items on VSTS which link to that requirement/issue.
        -

• Doug ElwellDoug Elwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to integrate MS Project with Visual Studio Team Services. SharePoint integration would also be desirable.

• TechnocratTechnocrat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am looking for a solution to display SCRUM reports from VSO to my sharepoint online site. The problem is authentication through REST. Please provide some suggestions how we can achieve this.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base