How can we improve Team Services?

Customize Process Template on Visual Studio Online

In Visual Studio Online, allow the ability to change the current process template a created project is using as well as the ability to upload your own process templates to create new projecsts with.

5,015 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathon StevensJonathon Stevens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    shareptmastershareptmaster shared a merged idea: Provide complete web based Work Item Customization like JIRA  ·   · 
    LaneLane shared a merged idea: Add custom fields to work items in Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: allow editing of WIT on Visual Studio Online  ·   · 
    GrahamGraham shared a merged idea: Allow WIT Editing for VSOnline  ·   · 
    TalTal shared a merged idea: Hosted team foundation service does not support edit process template - Bad Bad Bad  ·   · 
    KhalidKhalid shared a merged idea: Allow support for process template customization (like work type definition editing).  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Team Foundation Service (web) needs to allow add/modify of work item types  ·   · 
    NerdlingNerdling shared a merged idea: Allow TFS Project owners to customize existing or create new work item types  ·   · 
    Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz.Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz. shared a merged idea: Allow to update or create process template on tfs service preview.  ·   · 
    Martin CrispMartin Crisp shared a merged idea: allow process editor to make changes to tfspreview  ·   · 
    Alan YaoAlan Yao shared a merged idea: Support witadmin to track and manage work item for TFS on Azure.  ·   · 
    Visual Studio ALM TeamVisual Studio ALM Team shared a merged idea: ...develop an empowering Process Template editor!!  ·   · 

With the December 10th deployment, we have released our first phase of our rollout plan to deliver process customization to Visual Studio Team Services. You can now add your own fields, and change the layout of the work item form.

We’ll continue marching down our backlog and add more customizations until we reach full parity with what we have in TFS. This is going to take some time and you can read more about our plans in this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2016/01/11/process-customization-futures.aspx.

228 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Visual Studio TeamAdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Shawn, it is true that we are asking that our customers try and embrace the new process customization features from here on out. The private preview for process customization is available but is subject to review to make sure the process template and the project are a good fit. If you are on TFS on-prem today and need to move to VSTS and you are blocked because of process customization, then you may be a good candidate. Please email us at vsocustpt@microsoft.com and someone will contact you to review your process template.

Dan Hellem

• ShawnShawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were told by Microsoft VSOCustPT that you are no longer accepting requests for preview access to upload process via VSTS. Is this true? If so, then your answer below is inaccurate, because you are not making this feature available to us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to customize WIT field rules in VSTS. Is there any way to block certain group/users from creating/updating certain work item types?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi

Is it possible with visual studio 2013 + to uplaod a process template ? We are using a online instance of tfs

• rdrd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Does this mean I can edit work items (add fields) on VSO at this point?
        2. I am trying using TFS power tool - seems there is no way.Do I need to use witadmin?

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add custom work item states. This is preventing us from using VSTS.

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news! However, after adding a custom field to a customized process template and applying to the project, I'm unable to add that field as a column in VS or using "choose columns" of an excel spreadsheet connected to a TFS query.

• Rick McCallionRick McCallion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most definitely this is a worthwhile enhancement - I would say almost mandatory. We have been using TFS 2012 for the past year and we have added numerous fields and made adjustments to the workflow. As a result, it just isn't feasible to move to VSO without having the same functionality.

• Nathan DunnNathan Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to change the process template for a VSO project. I have no existing work items yet but I have tons of code change history so do not want to delete the project and start over. How do I go about changing the process template?

• AdautoAdauto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company has 1 state between InProgress and Done... and today we need Tags to solve the problem. Because of that when we're associating the Task in eclipse we need to change from 'Resolve' to 'Associate', and then open the Task and add the Tags manually... That is not very agile XD

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base